Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » The First Prophecy

Author Topic: The First Prophecy
?
Member # 8177

- posted      Profile for ?   Email ?         Edit/Delete Post 
That isn't the title, just a concept in the book. I don't know what the title is yet.

The genre is fantasy. Just looking for feedback on the first 13. How can I improve and does it make sense?

Ethan tried to move his right leg, but his foot was firmly stuck. He pulled as hard as he could with no result. Breathing harder, he had to force himself to remain calm. He was laying on his stomach in a small dark tunnel with his arms stretched out in front of him. The walls were just inches wider then his shoulders, so close to his sides that he couldn’t even reach down to loose the laces on his boot. The ceiling was so low he had been crawling with his head sideways.
He had been in worse situations and lived, but not much worse. The light from the Glowball in his hand was slowly dimming. He was resolved not to think about the stories the miners told him about the ghosts in the caves.

Thanks in advance
?

Posts: 16 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reagansgame
Member # 8149

- posted      Profile for Reagansgame   Email Reagansgame         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright ?, I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to being new at this, but here is my unexpert advice:

Breathing harder, he had to force himself to remain calm. One of my tricks when I come across a sentance that starts with VERB-ing, is to rework it. I find this to be a polishing trick and I may be wrong, but I'm just passing it on. It works better for me as a reader and a writer. And I do have an editor who tells me not to use the VERB-ing as an intro to sentances to much. So, instead of "Breathing harder, he..." I recommend something like "He was breathing harder now, and had to force himself to remain calm."
The ceiling was so low he had been crawling with his head sideways. "Crawling" gives me the mental image of all fours, like a baby does. The word usage is not wrong, but for me, it shows a more rapid progress than I think your little guy is making. Maybe, "The ceiling was so low he had to drag himself deeper with his head sideways."

That's all I have, yo. It reads pretty good for me.

[This message has been edited by Reagansgame (edited August 28, 2008).]

Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
As a reader, you have put me in an uncomfortable position - confinement. I almost have to keep reading to see if/how he gets out of this situation. I like your intro.
I would agree with Reagansgame about the "crawling."
I have read comments about opening with participles, but I didn't know that they were frowned upon that harshly - maybe I'll open a discussion in Open Discussions.
The statement about the ghosts is somewhat beside the point - I would be more worried about getting out of this situation than whether there were any ghosts there.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C L Lynn
Member # 8007

- posted      Profile for C L Lynn   Email C L Lynn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not having a problem with learning about ghosts in the caves at this early point. It ups the stakes and certainly increases the nightmare of being stuck in the dark.
Posts: 226 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a problem with the mention of the ghosts. It really doesn't change my opinion of these thirteen lines - I like them with or without this. Hopefully, the ghosts were mentioned because they are a focal-point of the story. Otherwise, I would be somewhat disappointed that they were mentioned at this juncture.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.