Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Chapter 1; The Tournament Feast

Author Topic: Chapter 1; The Tournament Feast
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
I decided to go back and rework this first chapter of SCALAWAG after the recommendations I received from my fellow Hatrackers. At this time, I'm just looking for a crit.

Thanks.

Jalayna sidestepped the young man’s hand when it darted out in her direction, but the good wine and ale that had loosened his tongue had also spoiled his aim. She’d had ample opportunity to learn how to handle the heavy pitcher filled to the brim with her master’s best ale and stay out of reach of the men with things other than drink on their minds. It was late, but the castle’s celebrants had kept up a rowdy chatter for the better part of the night.

She threw a quick glance toward the banquet hall’s high table. It seemed Master Lanok preferred her services over any of his other slaves. His favorite wife sat by his side. Lady Drea must have been close to middle age but could still draw an appreciative eye. Jalayna smiled with thoughts of how much

Okay, so how does this sound?...

Revised First 13; Oct. 4, 2008:

Jalayna caught a glimpse of the young man’s hand when it darted out in her direction. Praise the Spirits that too much wine managed to spoil his aim. The tournament feast had given her ample opportunity to learn how to stay out of reach of men with things other than drink on their minds. It’d also given her time to learn how to balance the heavy ale pitcher and still make her way among the crowded tables.

Her gaze drifted toward Master Lanok in case he required her to refill his goblet. For some reason he seemed to prefer her services more than any of his other slaves this night. There he was seated at the high table near the front of the banquet hall with his favorite wife by his side.

Lady Drea must have been close to middle age but could

[This message has been edited by Crystal Stevens (edited October 04, 2008).]

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm new to critiquing, so please excuse my vagueness: this doesn't seem balanced. The jumps in topic throw me off, and I found the contrasts ineffective. For example, I stopped to wonder about the "but" in the first sentence. Doesn't the second clause support the first? Both clauses explain that Jalayna could dodge the young man's grasp.

As another example, mention of Master Lanok's preference for Jalayna's services is sandwiched between mention of the high table and Lady Drea. I don't understand the connection.

Some aspects work. I like your choice of this scene, because it's lively and provides opportunities to learn about the important figures. I also already have a sense of Jalayna's personality.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkhodgepodge
Member # 8191

- posted      Profile for jkhodgepodge   Email jkhodgepodge         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the entire 13

I like the main character already and she has some spunk, despite her situation. I would love to read on!

Posts: 34 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SolarStone
Member # 3524

- posted      Profile for SolarStone   Email SolarStone         Edit/Delete Post 
I think aspirit is spot-on. The 'but' makes one of the sentences redundant in effect. Now, if she judges her own sidestep to be too late BUT she was thanking her lucky stars the dude's aim was already spoiled then we've got something.

Master Lanok needs to wink or give some active indictation that he prefers her. His tactless gesture might give rise to a moment of comedy as his wife decks him for it, or it might set the jealous wife's dastardly plot in motion.

Posts: 112 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevindouglas
Member # 8236

- posted      Profile for kevindouglas   Email kevindouglas         Edit/Delete Post 
Crystal: firstly, thank you for your warm welcome in my intro thread.

I would remove the "but" from the first sentence and increase its cohesiveness.

"She had ample opportunity to learn..." I could assume that she is young because men are trying to grope her, but I may be wrong. I could also assume that she was born into slavery, so she has been serving Master Lanok her entire life. Still, if her age were hinted at, I could form a better picture of Jalayna.

Assuming the hook is the hint of a relationship between Jalayna and Lanok, I'm afraid it's not strong enough for me. I can't get pulled into a story by romance between characters though, so I may not be the best person to listen to.

[This message has been edited by kevindouglas (edited October 02, 2008).]

Posts: 14 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Aspirit; You are right on. It's amazing how sometimes the writer can't see these things. Thank you for pointing them out.
jkhodgepodge; Thank you for your vote of confidence, and yes, Jalayna does have a lot of spunk. She has to have it for what is to come.
SolarStone; I couldn't agree more about the "but". I intend to correct that and the other pointers that's been suggested.

Also why Master Lanok is interested in Jalayna and why his favorite wife is not interfering comes out in the next page or two. I feel I have more room to play around with this due to the story being a novel and not a short story. Thank you for your comments, and I have to admit that I never thought of the jealous wife angle, though it wouldn't be feasible to use it in my storyline due to the type of civilization it's in.
kevindouglas; It's my turn to thank you. I try very hard to come up with something unique for each new member. You can thank Kathleen for the tree house idea. It's definitely given me something more to work with when welcoming new members to Hatrack.

I totally agree about the first sentence and have corrected it. I'll try to post an updated first 13 sometime soon. Because none of my characters are Earthers, I try to leave age out of the story. I never did decide on how long the life span of my interplanetary races should be... except for one, but that's another story. Everything you have questioned about Jalayna is revealed within a few pages from the first 13. After all, this is a novel and not a short story.

Oh my! A love affair between Lanok and Jalayna? Maybe I ought to send you the entire chapter. It's only 12 to 13 pages. What happens between Jalayna and her master is the exact opposite of what you are proposing. Personally, I hate mushy romance stories.

Thanks, though for your comments, and I'll be getting a revised first 13 up soon.
A lot of good feedback to work with here. Thanks to everyone for your invaluable help.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angfla
Member # 2904

- posted      Profile for Angfla   Email Angfla         Edit/Delete Post 
Crystal, just some advice I've read in several books about writing. It's generally not a good idea to use passive voice. Most of your opener is in active voice, but this line 'but the good wine and ale that had loosened his tongue had also spoiled his aim. She’d had ample opportunity to learn how to handle the heavy pitcher'could be reworded without the 'hads' to make it active i.e. but the good wine and ale that loosened his tongue also spoiled his aim. In the past Jalayna learned how to handle the heavy pitcher . . ."
It's something I'm struggling with in my own writing to get rid of all the'had thought" and "was goings" and learning to just say "thought" and "went". Just a little piece of advice. Other than than your opener was interesting, painted a good word picture.

Posts: 37 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, but this is one of my "buttons" and I do this whenever it gets pushed.

Passive voice happens in basically two ways: when the object of a normal sentence becomes the subject of the sentence, or when the predicate has no nominative.

The passive version of "the dog bit the man" in the first way is "the man was bitten by the dog" and in the second way is "the man was bitten."

Sentences that use "had" or "was" are not passive, they are "static."

For a list of topics that discuss passive voice, please go here:

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum3/HTML/000016.html

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angfla
Member # 2904

Crystal, I guess I owe you an apology. And thank you, Kathleen, for the info. I'll definitely check it out.
Posts: 37 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Angfla, I'm always glad to provide clarity on passive voice, because it is something that isn't often a good choice in fiction (it's all over the place in research papers and politics, though).

You are correct that static verbs are something writers should watch out for, though, and so you didn't really need to apologize to Crystal. I apologize for giving you that impression.

The more dynamic writers can make their writing (by avoiding static verbs where dynamic verbs will do the job), the better.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

Ah ha. I think I understand the point. So it would be best to try and get rid of the "had's" and the "was's"? If that's the case, please read my revision at the beginning of this thread and let me know what you think .

I didn't really like it because of that when I first wrote it and glad for the nudge in the right direction. I just love this forum .

Angfla
Member # 2904

Kathleen, thanks so much for directing me to those links. Somehow, I missed that static voice even existed. I've been editing my novel keeping the whole active/passive thing in mind, but there were some sentences I just couldn't make work without a 'had' or a 'was' so you cleared that issue up for me. Thanks for that.

Crystal here's my feedback on your rewrite. I actually liked the first version of the first sentence better because of the word'sidestepped'. It provided me with a very strong active image. I missed it in the rewrite. Also I think you need it since your next sentence states that Jalayna learned to dodge the drunk guys at the feast. In the sentence about her learning to dodge you could just say 'the tournament feast gave' rather than 'had given' and in the sentence after that you could just say 'it also gave her time' rather than 'it'd given her time' It reads a little stronger that way.

The last full sentence of the opening doesn't need the word 'There' You could just start the sentence with the word 'He'. Perhaps you could give the reader a little information about what the feast and tournament are for. Not necessary, but it might give the reader a way to orient themselves as to time and place. For instance if you said it was a feast and tournament to celebrate Samhain then that would tell the reader that this is likely taking place in Britain during the time of the Druids. However, if you say they are for something unfamiliar like GobbleWobble to celebrate the apex of the two moons then your reader would know that they are reading about an unfamiliar society on another planet.

That said, I do think on the whole this is stronger and more cohesive than the first attempt. Again I really enjoy your imagery.

Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

Angfla; The things that you have brought out about explaining the reason for the feast and what the tournament was about are explained on the next two pages. If anything, the first 13 may perk the reader enough to entice him/her to turn the page to discover these answers.

Now that I go back a re-read the first sentence, I agree that "side stepped" does form a stronger picture. I'll put it back in.

Your crit has been very helpful. Thank you.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.