Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Kirona's Untitled

Author Topic: Kirona's Untitled
Kirona
Member # 7125

- posted      Profile for Kirona           Edit/Delete Post 
The setting sun cast long shadows on the rolling plains, shadows drawn from bushes and stubby little trees. A single road cut through this land, perfectly straight, carved into the hills and built up to cross the dips on artificial ridges. It was wide and level, though only a dirt road, and had no gouges or ruts to disrupt it.
One point on this road was marred, its surface glistening with pools of blood, goods and belongings scattered about. Two bodies lay off to one side, their throats ripped out, their eyes torn free of their sockets.
Damien Vennik dragged himself away from the scene, praying that the feathered monster that had killed his parents would not return. It was a miracle that he was alive, that it had left.

-----------------------

Here's the beginning, (heavily) edited once after I read RDF's post. It's not as short as RDF suggested, but I like that whole sense of setting the scene, showing how tranquil the area would be, if not for the mess that it zooms in to.

Also, the original post ended at the reveal of the bodies, so the next paragraph wasn't there. This will, hopefully, bring the story along a bit more in the fragment, and will mean that I won't need a 'context' blurb immediately after.

Let's see what you all think, eh?

[This message has been edited by Kirona (edited January 01, 2009).]

Posts: 58 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RDF
Member # 8363

- posted      Profile for RDF           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kirona,

A couple of dead bodies are good attention grabbers, but I would prefer that they were not delayed until the third paragraph.

Let me rearrange a little of what you wrote to show you what I mean:

\\
The setting sun managed a last glare across the lonely road and stretched long shadows from low bushes and stubby trees. In a few minutes it would have been too dark for MC to see the two bodies lying off the road, their throats ripped out, their eyes torn free of their sockets.
\\

I am not proposing these words, just that the crux of the action be up front.

I do have some style suggestions on your original that you can take or leave as you see fit.

\\
>The sun was sinking toward the horizon,

The setting sun?

> but not cold, and local wildlife flitted about, birds in the >sky, rabbits and rodents on the ground.
>A single road cut through this land, the only sign of >civilization, as it were.

I could have done without any of this, or had it blended with some action.

>It was perfectly straight, rising and falling with the land,

perfectly? Not if it rises and falls.

>It was wide and level,

level? See comment about perfectly.

IMHO, all the above description just slows the revelation of bodies. The descriptions would seem more natural to me if they were part of the MC exploring the dead bodies and wrecked cargo.

\\

I'm new to this forum, but as I have recently discovered it's okay to provide some context for your 13 lines (something I did not do on my own first 13 lines). So assuming that two dead bodies on a lonely road grabs my interest, where do you plan to go next? I assume some of where you going is with the MC in the "next" paragraph, so if you tightened up the descriptions, perhaps there would be more room to include the MC in your 13 lines. (Alternatively, an attached story blurb might help).

Anyway, brutalized bodies seem like a good start to me, so keep on writing. I hope that some of the comments I have made (expressing my biases and opinions) may be of some small use to you. Thanks for letting me read this. Thinking about what you wrote has taught me a lot.

cordially,

[This message has been edited by RDF (edited December 31, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by RDF (edited December 31, 2008).]

Posts: 31 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kirona
Member # 7125

I had no idea that I could provide context for the first 13, I figured it was just the first 13, and no more. Thanks for the tip.

As for the actual context, I'm going to edit the original post shortly to include that, as well as some other changes that you've made me think of.

While I do agree with your problem with 'perfectly,' it's meant to emphasize that, while it does rise and fall, there is no left/right deviation at all. Then again, while typing this, I came up with another way to describe it, to emphasize its unusually specific nature.

Thanks a lot for your feedback, it's gotten me thinking again.

Kirona

P.S. While starting the edit mentioned above, I've discovered that my browser window seems to have been acting strange lately. When I originally posted, the entire fragment occupied 13 lines. Now, it appears to occupy 14. Any thoughts on that would be wonderful - do note, however, that I'm working on a Mac, using FireFox, and I've never used Safari (Apple's version of IE). Also, this may be because I've been forced to boot this computer in safe mode for the last few days due to damaged drivers.

P.P.S. I've done a bit of experimenting. The scroll bar on the right of this text box *is* pushing text over in my browser, which forces the fragment into line 14. As such, I just need to make sure I accomodate that wonderful little quirk, lest I find a sentence or so lopped off when our wonderful moderator comes through. :P

Posts: 58 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RDF
Member # 8363

- posted      Profile for RDF           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kirona

I like your revision, but here is another tip: you might look at how member Unwritten "Terra's Gate" added to the original 13 lines intact by posting the revised 13 lines below it for comment. It just makes it easier for people to compare. They might like something in the original better than the revised. It certainly gives you more options.

One other thought, and it may not apply because this is only a guess based on your title: It would be interesting if you could figure out a little foreshadow for the witchery in the first 13 lines. Tough I know. But from your original, instead of looking at the calling number, suppose she answered "Mom" and then wondered how she knew that? If you are going some other direction I appologize for the distraction.

Keep at it,

cordially,

Posts: 31 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kirona
Member # 7125

RDF, I'm guessing that second part was meant for a different fragment?

If not, I'm very, very confused.

Also, thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to keep it in mind for future posts.

JASU
Member # 8406

- posted      Profile for JASU   Email JASU         Edit/Delete Post 
I like how this starts out. I agree that you should get the MC and the bodies in there a little sooner. I appreciate the comparison you are making though, with the tranquil road against the scene of death. I love stories with monsters! That hooked me. On second thought, cut everything out and just put this...There is a monster in this story!
JA--

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kirona
Member # 7125

JASU - If I had thought of it, I would have left the original in the OP, but what's there now is actually after revision. In the original, the bodies appeared in the very last line, and the MC didn't appear at all.

Heh, I need to get back into the swing of things, it seems.

Also, would it still hook you to know it's supposed to be a fantasy novel, and that the 'monster' is an insane gryphon?

Yay for contextual ramblings.

JASU
Member # 8406

- posted      Profile for JASU   Email JASU         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I would still be hooked. I like fantasy. I didn't realize that you had changed your first post. I read it before you changed it and then didn't post anything until today. Sorry to confuse you...
JA--

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kirona
Member # 7125

No problem, JASU.

Also - that's a longer time to remember what you'd read in my OP than I would be able to manage. I would have to re-read it just because I'd forget what it was.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.