Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Request for Feedback (starting w/ 13 lines)

Author Topic: Request for Feedback (starting w/ 13 lines)
benmackay
Member # 8148

- posted      Profile for benmackay   Email benmackay         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I have skimmed a lot of the forums these past few months and impressed with the attention to detail from all the posters! I have been in the submission/rejection/revision/re-submission process for the last couple of months and I'm finally to the point where I need someone who a) is not related to me, and b) isn't a friend to provide an objective critique.

I'm posting the first 13 lines here for feedback, and would appreciate someone willing to read a chapter or so, or even the entire manuscript. Are any of you editors who would be willing to take on a compensated editing project?

Here are the 13 lines (and I'm pretty sure it's only 13 )

Thoran inhaled deeply, realizing that the pain-filled shouts were his when the echoes ceased reverberating off the stone walls. So he forced his mouth shut, holding his breath, and clenched his jaw against the torment, his head shaking because the pain didn’t cease. It only worsened. His very soul was being ripped out of his body; muscles, flesh, bone all straining against the pressure. At least that’s what it felt like. He only took a breath when his lungs burned for fresh air; and then his throat rasped as air flowed in and out of his chest with reckless abandon. But he would not shout again.

“I TOLD YOU,” came the smooth voice that drowned out all other sound in the room without yelling. “I GAVE YOU AN OPPORTUNITY TO NOT DEFY ME.”

Thanks!
Ben

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited January 30, 2009).]

Posts: 16 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyraxis
Member # 7990

- posted      Profile for Pyraxis   Email Pyraxis         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I'm pretty sure you're over 13 - according to my browser you'd have had to cut after "OPPORTUNITY".

I'm not that keen on novels that open with a torture scene. If you do your worst to your main character on the first page, what's left to throw at them for the rest of the story? We don't know who this person is, so it doesn't have the same impact to read as it would if we knew his background and personality and had been sympathizing with him for a hundred pages. It's kind of a waste of intensity.

It also dropped me right out of the mood to read "At least that's what it felt like." That minimizes it - you could weave the same message in with "It felt like his very soul was being ripped out of his body" and still get across the idea that he wasn't really being magically stripped of his soul.

I would lose the block caps for the tormentor's voice.

If you haven't been put off by the critique yet, I'd be willing to trade a chapter crit with you.

Posts: 188 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
benmackay
Member # 8148

Pyraxis,

I'd definitely like to trade a chapter crit with you. What's the protocol to that?

Valid point on the phrase "At least that's what it felt like". Will work on that before I send you the chapter. While I understand your reasoning about starting with the torture scene, it makes sense as you go forward in the story. It's a pivotal event in the life of the character that helps define him.

Can you PM me your email so we can exchange chapters?
Thanks,
Ben

Posts: 16 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
benmackay
Member # 8148

By the way, thanks to the mods for cutting down my 13 lines. I thought that I had figured it out correctly, but obviously didn't quite get it right. Thank you! I'll do better next time.

Thanks,
Ben

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
This topic may help, benmackay. Please follow the link and read it.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christian
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for Christian   Email Christian         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Ben I liked everything except "at least that's what it felt like." I think if you remove that sentence you'll have a stronger 13.

Your story pulled me in and piqued my interest. Very well done sir.

Posts: 135 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AMPAglut
Member # 8484

- posted      Profile for AMPAglut           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the others, but have an alternate suggestion regarding the all-Caps thing. I'm guessing that the character speaking in Caps is somehow otherworldly - that the caps lock is meant to signify that this being doesn't speak as regular folk do. If this is the case, and you think that simply tagging the speech as such would reduce its impact, I might keep the Caps and forgo the quotation marks. That would communicate its 'otherness' and it would still be clear that there's communication going on. As a reader, I'd find it less jarring.
Posts: 18 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.