Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Thinking Amongst The Thoughtless

Author Topic: Thinking Amongst The Thoughtless
imperialcancer
Member # 8696

- posted      Profile for imperialcancer           Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you that read my 1st 13 of Chimera World I thank you. I originally began writing this story in 2003 after the United States invaded Iraq when I was very angry and felt that I was one of the few that was using my brain. I also had been trying to submit a story to WOTF, but I had much more to say than the allotted word amount. This is the only story that I have ever finished. I don't know if the first 13 will capture your imagination, but I thought that I might try and see what you kind people think. Thanks in advance!

Pitch:
Jonny McMasters is a 17 yr old boy that discovers sad facts about his Country, the United States, after making an acquaintance in Central Park with an elderly man that knows what it was like to live before the times of terrorism, constant code orange, and restricted speech. These revelations send Jonny into the dangerous world of American politics in a post 9-11 world...

1st 13:

A certain day, one generation from the birth of the post-Millennials…

A boy, appearing to be seventeen years of age, hurried along the crumbling paths of Central Park. The worn soles of his Nikes smacked heavily against the broken pavement and his breath came in ragged gasps. Sweat poured profusely from his pores, down his ashen face and into his pale blue eyes and open mouth. His legs moved his body in a state of drunken fatigue and it was obvious he had not physically exerted himself in a long time.

Reaching up, with the hand that held his worn cell phone, he wiped a bead of water that had collected above his left eyebrow and spat the salt from his mouth. It had been quite some time

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited July 22, 2009).]

Posts: 24 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rexwell
Member # 8719

- posted      Profile for Rexwell   Email Rexwell         Edit/Delete Post 
My feedback is in parentheses within the body of your lines. Thanks.

A certain day, one generation from the birth of the post-Millennials…
A boy, appearing to be seventeen years of age, hurried along the crumbling paths of Central Park. The worn soles of his Nikes smacked heavily against the broken pavement and his breath came in ragged gasps. Sweat poured (If it’s pouring, you probably don’t need profusely. Although, the use of the verb poured in the same sentence as the noun pore should be changed up anyway.) profusely from his pores, down his ashen face and into his pale blue eyes and open mouth. His legs moved his body in a state of drunken fatigue and it was obvious he had not physically exerted himself in a long time. (lots of adjectives in this paragraph. It might be better if you tried using some similes and metaphors in the the description.)
Reaching up, (no comma necessary I don’t think) with the hand that held his worn cell phone, he wiped a bead of water that had collected above his left eyebrow and spat the salt from his mouth. It had been quite some time since his body had been exerted like this. (You already mentioned that he hadn’t physically exerted himself in a long time.) With the removal of gym class in the sixth grade, and doing nothing but learning in the three (I guess this got cut off, so I don't understand what you were trying to say exactly.)

I would be interested in seeing where your story goes. I think it would be hard to make a non-cliched story about somebody finding out the awful truth about the United States in the aftermath of 9/11. It would really have to have an original take to work.
How long is it? I might be willing to read the whole thing.

[This message has been edited by Rexwell (edited July 22, 2009).]

Posts: 25 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imperialcancer
Member # 8696

- posted      Profile for imperialcancer           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for reading. The story is a novella of 21454 words total. Let me know if you are still interested in reading at all. I don't think that my story is to cliche'. Plus, someone once told me its not what story you tell its how you tell it. I can honestly say though that all of these thoughts came from my own brain. Let me know if you would like to read on!
Posts: 24 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.