Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Fantasy Novel (WIP) 13, begging feedback

Author Topic: Fantasy Novel (WIP) 13, begging feedback
nathanpence
Member # 8757

- posted      Profile for nathanpence   Email nathanpence         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay so I have been working with this concept for awhile now and despite my lack of actual tangible production I feel like I might actually be getting somewhere with this story. I would appreciate some feedback on these 13. The story centers around a small group of misfits in a fantasy/heist style story. Scratch is one of those characters.

The old metal mirror was worn and battered, much the same as the bitter, self-defeated countenance it now partially portrayed along its tarnished surface. Scratch dipped his hands in the now pink water of his basin and rinsed them, the leather skin of his hands scarred and weathered. Fresh blood dripped from his nose down into the bowl a red ball in pink waters that lengthened and faded into a sanguine ribbon before diffusing into the water like its predecessors. Scratch brought his palms out of the water to rinse his face but stopped short and stared at the thickness of his hands, at the power evident in his gnarled fingers, at the scars and callouses of a lifetime of hard labor, at the stumps where the last two fingers of his left hand had been claimed by a blade so many years before.

SECOND VERSION

The old metal mirror was worn and battered, much the same as the bitter, self-defeated countenance it now portrayed along its tarnished surface. Scratch dipped his hands in the basin and rinsed them, the leather skin of his hands scarred and weathered. Fresh blood dripped from his nose down into the bowl, a red ball in pink waters that lengthened and faded into a sanguine ribbon before diffusing. Scratch brought his palms up to rinse his face but stopped short and stared at the thickness of his hands, at the power evident in his gnarled fingers, at the scars and calluses of a lifetime of hard labor, at the stumps where his last two fingers of his left hand had been claimed by a blade so many years before. He stared at his hands as if seeing them and the blood on them for the first...

THIRD VERSION
The old metal mirror was worn and battered, much the same as the bitter, self-defeated countenance it now portrayed along its tarnished surface. Scratch dipped his hands in the basin and rinsed them, the leather skin scarred and weathered. Fresh blood dripped from his nose down into the bowl, a red ball in pink waters that lengthened and faded into a sanguine ribbon before diffusing. Scratch brought his palms up to rinse his face but stopped short and stared at the thickness of his hands, at the power evident in his gnarled fingers, at the scars and calluses of a lifetime of hard labor, at the stumps where his last two fingers of his left hand had been claimed by a blade so many years before.
"It’s what I am. It’s what I done. Too late for apologies now."

Let me know, and thanks for the help in advance!

[This message has been edited by nathanpence (edited August 19, 2009).]

[This message has been edited by nathanpence (edited August 20, 2009).]

Posts: 32 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this. It’s a slow opening, not much happening, but that’s okay. I do like these elements: characterization of Scratch, hint of setting, and wondering why he is bleeding (yet again).

I like Scratch. The physical description is evocative. I’m not sure what type of POV you are going for, because so far all the observations could be from the outside (a fly-on-the-wall observer watching what he is doing). I’m not inside his head yet, which is my personal preference of where I’d like to be. As Card says, the first sentence is “free”, but after that he generally recommends dipping into the MC’s head. I say this because the intimacy of your description makes me think you might be going for close, limited 3rd person.

The description of the blood dropping into the water is cinematic, like watching a movie. I like the description, but it does create distance. Which is fine if you’re writing in omni POV.

I hope the next line keeps me in the present instead of dipping back into his distant past.

EDITED: After reading again, I think we are somewhat in his head, because he reflects on the personal history that his hands tell. Earlier elements made it feel distant; especially the 1st sentence, the dripping blood, and the emphasis on physical description without internal emotions/thoughts. Instead of showing the "bitter, self-defeated countenance" in the mirror, I'd like Scratch to feel bitter and defeated about ...whatever. But I can't tell you how (not much use, am I?)

Line edits: Water is mentioned four times.

First sentence: suggest cutting “partially” (although I get that the metal mirror is not highly reflective).

2nd sentence: suggest cutting the repetitive pink water: …dipped his hands in the basin…

3rd sentence: need a comma after bowl. Suggest dropping “like its predecessors”.

Suggest: Scratch raised his cupped palms to rinse his face… My spell checker suggests “calluses”.

Hope this helps. Take what you like and leave the rest.

[This message has been edited by MrsBrown (edited August 19, 2009).]

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nathanpence
Member # 8757

- posted      Profile for nathanpence   Email nathanpence         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the feedback, I incorporated it into the second version above. All of which made it shorter, so then I think I might have to include another line... we'll see... Anyway, thanks again and let me know what you think now.
Posts: 32 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
When I got to “He stared at his hands as if seeing them and the blood on them for the first...” I said, enough already! I’m ready to move on. Need some kind of interruption, action, dialogue, something else.

Line edits (more, I’ll always find more):

two “hands” in one sentence … the leather skin of his hands… suggest: their leathered skin

sorry, gotta run… someone else please give a perspective here?

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nathanpence
Member # 8757

Okay, I'm wordy, I get that. I'm generally not one to step into action before I establish mood and setting and that could easily be one of my biggest problems so I'm going to try cutting the next big section and the lines about hands, because, well, they were bad, and move on. Maybe I can use that stuff later. So let's go with a version 3... See the top, eh...
SavantIdiot
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for SavantIdiot   Email SavantIdiot         Edit/Delete Post 
Not bad. Let's see. You are using too many interesting words too close together, in my opinion. You love them, well, I love them, too, but it makes us stop and think about the words instead of the story or the character.

Also, I dislike the use of portraying when you are talking about a reflective surface. Portray suggests an author, not helpless property of a metal or reflective surface.

I do hope life improves for Scratch!

Posts: 168 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nathanpence
Member # 8757

I just wanted to take the time to thank each of you for your help on this intro. I've decided to put this on hold while I put myself through a self-imposed writing overhaul. I'll confess now that these lines were pulled out of the proverbial storage bin just to get a sense of where I stood and to get some feel for feedback. Critting other's work has helped me to identify some things I like and somethings I frankly don't and I want to learn to apply those things to my writing, so it's back to the beginning and hopefully I'll churn out a few thousand words in the next few days. Afterall, I have a plan. Again, thanks!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.