Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Many Gladiators, Young and Skilled

Author Topic: Many Gladiators, Young and Skilled
adamatom
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for adamatom   Email adamatom         Edit/Delete Post 
Sam Boulder entertained no fantasies about a comeback. Other people, however, longed for him to return to the ring. Lots of people.

The retired champion was in the back of his bar when he heard a noise. He looked up at the security monitor.

In front of the counter stood a man in a trenchcoat. On the counter sat an open briefcase full of cash. Next to the briefcase lay a piece of paper and a pen.

"I've had enough of these guys," he growled under his breath as he bolted to the front of the bar.

"The answer is no," Sam declared without inquiring about identity or details.

"You haven't even read the contract," the boxing promoter said, gesturing at the paper.

Looking for feedback about the intro chapter and the synopsis.
moreheadalumni @ yahoo.com

[This message has been edited by adamatom (edited November 03, 2009).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited November 04, 2009).]

Posts: 135 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devnal
Member # 6724

- posted      Profile for Devnal   Email Devnal         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi adamatom,

I don't see anything really wrong with the writing, but it doesn't really catch my interest. Sorry to say, it feels like the beginning of a Rocky movie to me... like the last one i think it was? It sounds like it might be going somewhere, but as it stands, not pulling me in.

Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
insectica411
Member # 8862

- posted      Profile for insectica411   Email insectica411         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello

A couple of things. The first 13 are a bit flat. I think the character Sam might be interesting but we don't get to know much about him in this little bit. The scenario doesn't say much either other than he's a retired boxer who doesn't want to fight anymore. Perhaps you could put in a bit about why he doesn't want to fight or why others want him to so much.

Chris

Posts: 13 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScardeyDog
Member # 8707

- posted      Profile for ScardeyDog   Email ScardeyDog         Edit/Delete Post 
I read your synopsis before reading this and I think maybe the problem is you're starting in the wrong place. The way this reads now it seems like a sports comeback story. From your synopsis I'm expecting something very different. Sam is going to be kidnapped by aliens, right? Would it work for your story to start there, or even shortly after that?
Posts: 238 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.