Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Either a short story or prologue for MARK

Author Topic: Either a short story or prologue for MARK
SavantIdiot
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for SavantIdiot   Email SavantIdiot         Edit/Delete Post 
It started as a prologue for Mark, anyway. I still think it's the background for his story. I could also use readers for this one; it's maybe 4300 words. Anyway, the first thirteen lines:

Her name was Patricia and she was fifteen years old. She was a nice Irish girl due to be Irish stew any day now. She looked furtively around. What was she even doing here? Three days ago she’d been surrounded by Frenchmen with a few wives and children, not a one of whom spoke Irish or English either one. She had hated it. She had been lonely for the society of females. Females who were not old married women and not her little sisters, either! Da had started listening to offers for her from two of the Frenchmen; Jean-Philippe and Jean-Eudes. She hadn’t been able to understand a word that came out of them; not even when they believed they were speaking English. She had gone off to get away from her little sisters and the two Jeans and her father who she blamed for everything. She had needed a

Posts: 168 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

- posted      Profile for andersonmcdonald   Email andersonmcdonald         Edit/Delete Post 
"She was a nice Irish girl due to be Irish stew any day now."

Loved this. Nice opening at the beginning, but for me it seems you've crammed too much info in the first thirteen. I felt most of this should be sprinkled throughout later paragraphs. As it is, the info seems to confuse rather than inform. IMHO, and this is just MHO, I'd like to see the MC interact with her surroundings.

"She looked furtively around. What was she even doing here?"

Where is "here"? (We don't know.)
What does she see when she looks furtively around? (You don't tell us.)
As it reads now, I'm a little confused about her plight, being overloaded with snippets of info that have no context.

But take this for what it is - an opinion

Posts: 456 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SavantIdiot
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for SavantIdiot   Email SavantIdiot         Edit/Delete Post 
It's pertinent. I'm working on other stuff and forgot to give you enough detail at the start! I'll take another look at it in the morning.
Posts: 168 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emily Palmer
Member # 8877

- posted      Profile for Emily Palmer   Email Emily Palmer         Edit/Delete Post 
I do not like the tense. You start off with her looking around furtively and wondering what she's doing "here," which is very vague as previously mentioned.

Then you go into a flashback scene. This makes no sense because there's no present to look back from. Perhaps that is the actual beginning of the story, in which case you could start there.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.