Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » "Wilde Card" opening chapter

Author Topic: "Wilde Card" opening chapter
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the opening chapter/prelude/whatever to my current novel that's knee-deep in the editing phase. The story is an action/espionage story, but I was curious as to what this crowd may think of the opening thirteen.

I'm still trudging through the edits, but right now the novel rounds out at 94 thousand words.

Let me know your thoughts for this opening thirteen. The story pretty much explodes into an action scene not long after, but I would like to know if anyone here would keep reading after this.

Thanks.

quote:
It was exceedingly obvious to Jorge where he belonged in the world. He had no aspirations to try for anything different. What he did was wrong, but that he continued to do so was an educated decision. The straight and narrow was too safe for men like him. He knew; he tried that life before. He simply did not have the patience for nine-to-five work. Why wait ten years for what could be earned in two?

There were many people in Jorge's life that tried to fool others into believing they were something more. The first one to come to mind was his father, a twisted man that tried to put on a loving show for the world to see. After him came Jorge's brother, a published poet before he became a fugitive. His murder charges would chase him to God-knows where until the day he died.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited February 25, 2010).]

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't win me over Rhaythe, it sort of seems too distanced from Jorge and so I shrug my shoulders and wonder "so what"; when you get a chance and if you're interested, send the first chapter. Maybe in context a further thought will present itself.
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
This has to be more than 13 lines.

Why are you leaving us hanging? Is there a good reason to not just come out and say what Jorge does?

I don't care about his father or brother or neice. I am only curious about what Jorgie does, and at the end of all of this, I am frustrated and no longer interested at all.

quote:
It was exceedingly obvious to Jorge where he belonged in the world. He had no aspirations to try for anything different.

This part was interesting. I would cut the rest and work it in later in the novel.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
when you get a chance and if you're interested, send the first chapter. Maybe in context a further thought will present itself.

Will do. Thanks Ben.

quote:
Why are you leaving us hanging? Is there a good reason to not just come out and say what Jorge does?

Because it's only thirteen lines. Believe me when I say the chapter reveals that quickly enough.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest, I found this opening kind of tedious. The ideas in it are interesting (his moral tap-dancing to justify himself, for instance), but I just don't care about his thoughts or his background, because I don't know who he even is. If I got the info in this passage after I had already seen the guy doing something, then I'd be more likely to care about his thoughts on life. I guess this feels like he's explaining his actions, but it's not interesting because I haven't seen the actions he's explaining.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.