Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » House of Skye

Author Topic: House of Skye
ChrisDias
Member # 9046

- posted      Profile for ChrisDias   Email ChrisDias         Edit/Delete Post 
With Aiden's Way finished, I am starting a new novel. I only got two pages done, but I wanted to post the first 13 here...

HOUSE OF SKYE (Contemporary fantasy)

William took a moment to admire the painting with the receptionist. She occasionally moved her eyes to him, feigning attention to the work. He didn't know if that meant interest in him or indifference in the work. He played indifferent... probably too well.
"It's a real place?" she asked. William nodded. That was one of his rules.
“It’s a rendering of the Seven Sisters Waterfall in Norway," he said.
“Ahh. So...what’s the piece called?”
“…The Seven Sisters Waterfall in Norway.”
The landscape had found its home in the local police department, on a wall across and in view of the holding area.

..That's it...

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited April 16, 2010).]

[This message has been edited by ChrisDias (edited April 16, 2010).]

[This message has been edited by ChrisDias (edited April 16, 2010).]

[This message has been edited by ChrisDias (edited April 17, 2010).]

[This message has been edited by ChrisDias (edited April 19, 2010).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited April 19, 2010).]

Posts: 21 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DivineDistorter
Member # 9092

- posted      Profile for DivineDistorter   Email DivineDistorter         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice detail, however, there is no conflict. Nothing to hook me. I would read on only because the description are good. But I would expect some action very soon after to read on further.

just my 2cp

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devin
Member # 8735

- posted      Profile for Devin           Edit/Delete Post 
No offense intended, but I hate the opening and there would be no chance that I would read on. Your biggest problem is that nothing happens and there is not even the suggestion of any conflict.

Even if this wasn’t the opening it is difficult for me to imagine why I would want to read about someone painting. If the details of painting are significant to the story you need to get us into the story before you hit us with them. Also your painting seems change from late evening to a ‘carbon black night’.

Devin

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisDias
Member # 9046

Tough crowd. Okay...total revision. Let's try this again... Check the first post
Posts: 21 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devin
Member # 8735

This version of your opening is an improvement, I’m not sure you really have a hook here but I am getting some feeling for who the MC is.

William Weaver gave a final pass over his landscape, ensuring quality control, before mounting it, wrapping it, and loading it into his Hyundai.

I personally don’t like it when people use full names when introducing a character unless there is a compelling reason to do so. Lots of people who are far better writers than I do it, but I personally don’t like it. More importantly, I don’t think this sentence is doing anything for you other than telling us the MC’s name and I’m unsure of ‘ensuring quality control’ this phrase seems more mechanical then artistic, perhaps that is intentional.

The piece found its home in the holding area of the local police department. Above was a sign which read “Wish you were here”.

Little odd to have a painting in a holding area (I think, never been arrested) I’m moderately interested why. I’m not sure what the sign means are the cops being funny? Wish you were here (the landscape) because then your not our problem.

William took a moment admiring it alongside the precinct receptionist.

Grammar isn’t my strong suit but I think “to admire” is better

She occasionally moved her eyes to him, feigning attention on the work. He didn't know if that meant anything. He played indifferent...too well.

I think it should be “attention to the work”. The phrase “too well” seems like it is suppose to have some punch to it but I’m unsure what you mean. Are we to take from this that he is interested in the receptionist or is this meant more as general comment on William’s personality

“There’s no signature,” she said. 
“It’s small and covered by the frame. Most buyers prefer modesty in their painters.” He lied.

I’m on board, he doesn’t want to take credit for the painting and feels compelled to lie about it. I’m curious why.

Considering where the result was fated to, William felt it appropriate the work remain anonymous.

The first phrase reads funny and I’m not sure I get why he wants it anonymous.

He figured she was his age, at the sunset of their teens, and like him had never seen outside of the town.
‘Sunset of their teens’ is awfully melodramatic.

Devin

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisDias
Member # 9046

Made a few more changes before rushing off to work...
pamak
Member # 6987

- posted      Profile for pamak           Edit/Delete Post 
For what it is worth, write your story. Don't worry about the hook yet - especially don't worry about what others say about it.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisDias
Member # 9046

Yes, I know. I am writing it now, about 5,000 words into it. I had a bit of an inspiration and changed the first 13 again. I am wondering if it's getting better or worse...
Devin
Member # 8735

I like this a lot better than your previous versions.
Good luck on your project.

Devin

Charles Forgues
Member # 9106

- posted      Profile for Charles Forgues   Email Charles Forgues         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it. There's just enough here to make me want to read more. What genre is it? Could be just about anything from the first 13.
Posts: 6 | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisDias
Member # 9046

It is a modern fairy tale.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.