Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Truth and Dissent ~ Prologue

Author Topic: Truth and Dissent ~ Prologue
MikeL
Member # 9138

- posted      Profile for MikeL   Email MikeL         Edit/Delete Post 
==Please see the updated revision==

OK, I have written the prologue of my book. This is a science fiction novel with some fantasy aspects. The prologue is one of the many horrific nightmares my MC, Daelan has. It is important to my story and I have wondered if it should be placed in the first chapter.

If anyone would like to read the full prologue please let me know, as I would appreciate the critique. For now here are the first 13.
Thanks in advance.

=====Truth and Dissent - Part One, Rise of Dissidence ~ Prologue=====

quote:
The thundering noise shook him. “What time is it?” He said, under his breath. The moonlight reflected off the pendulum in the clock that showed a little after 3:00 am. “It must have been thunder…I love thunderstorms.” He could remember when he was really little how he used to sit with his mother and count the seconds between flash and sound. He remembered being told that every five seconds was a mile. Those were happy times. His eyes watered at the joy and pain of those memories. In spite of the pain, storms always brought comfort; they drew his attention. Sometimes he felt he could almost reach up and touch the lightning. He knew it a silly notion, but it was one that never went away. He wished his mother was still here.

New rivision: (PROLOGUE) :P

quote:
-THE DREAM-

The thundering noise shook him. “What time is it?” the boy said, under his breath. The moonlight reflected off the pendulum of the clock that showed a little after 3:00 am. “That sound, must have been thunder…I love thunderstorms.” His thoughts went to a time when he was really little, how he used to sit with his mother and count the seconds between flash and sound. He remembered her loving arms wrapped around him in comfort. His eyes watered at the bitter-sweet reminder. In spite of the pain, he still loved thunderstorms; they were the only thing she left him after she died. Sometimes he felt he could almost reach up and touch the lightning. His anticipation grew as he waited for the next flash to illuminate the room.

[This message has been edited by MikeL (edited June 29, 2010).]

[This message has been edited by MikeL (edited July 01, 2010).]

[This message has been edited by MikeL (edited July 06, 2010).]

[This message has been edited by MikeL (edited July 07, 2010).]

Posts: 154 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
This doesn’t sound like a dream. I’d like to have a name for this person right up front.

It’s interesting that he’s startled awake by the clash of thunder, but he immediately has positive memories of it. I like “the seconds between flash and sound” for how streamlined it sounds. But then “He remembered being told that…” slows it down. We know it’s either memory or fact.

So what is the joy and pain of those memories? Joy of being with his mother? (There’s more emphasis on his enjoyment of thunderstorms than his relationship with his mother.) I’m guessing the pain is because she’s gone?

“In spite of the pain, storms always brought comfort; they drew his attention.” There’s that vague pain again. Do storms bring comfort because they draw his attention, or vice versa? I don’t think you need the first or last phrases. How about focusing on why he finds storms comforting (I find them exciting, nothing so peaceful as comforting). I’m starting to think of Percy Jackson and his relationship with water.

I loved “Sometimes he felt he could almost reach up and touch the lightning.” That piqued my interest—will it be part of the story? The second half of the next sentence seems kinda wordy. And then “He wished his mother was still here” – I hope you will soon explain what happened to her. (Dead, divorced and moved out, he moved away, etc.)

I’m not getting a strong feel for his age yet.

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MikeL
Member # 9138

This was a really hard point of view to create. Thanks for your comments BTW. I didn't want to give the name away because this is in the mind of my MC, but it is really happening to someone else. My MC doesn't know what's happening, he thinks it is just a really bad dream.

Thanks for all the suggestions I will work on each one.

quote:
So what is the joy and pain of those memories? Joy of being with his mother? (There’s more emphasis on his enjoyment of thunderstorms than his relationship with his mother.) I’m guessing the pain is because she’s gone?

True, he enjoys thunderstorms because of his mother. She is gone, she is dead.

quote:
“In spite of the pain, storms always brought comfort; they drew his attention.” There’s that vague pain again. Do storms bring comfort because they draw his attention, or vice versa? I don’t think you need the first or last phrases. How about focusing on why he finds storms comforting (I find them exciting, nothing so peaceful as comforting). I’m starting to think of Percy Jackson and his relationship with water.

Thanks, now that you mention it that part need reworking. They bring comfort because they remind him of the comfort his mother gave him durring storms. That is the reason he feels peaceful durring them.

quote:
I loved “Sometimes he felt he could almost reach up and touch the lightning.” That piqued my interest—will it be part of the story?

I actually have considered the use of lightning touching
in a later part of the story.

As for his age, he is young about 12ish. But he is not an integral character. Just this dream is integral.

Thanks again for your comments.

Posts: 154 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

Hm, I didn't get that this was one person feeling like he is experiencing someone else's reality.

Also it doesn't feel like a negative experience ("bad dream" or "horrific nightmare"), but of course you have time to get there.

Edited to add: I just read your "concerned" topic about the story; I get it now. First a bad experience ending in death (prologue), and then Daelan after he has woken up from that dream (Ch 1). Why not name the dream person (say, Fred)? Then when we are introduced to Dealen (sp?), perhaps he could reference Fred's experience in his dream? If it is important that Daelan not know whose dreams he has, them maybe call the dream person "the boy" or some other tag?

Keep at it Or, move on and get the story onto the page; you can always tinker later

[This message has been edited by MrsBrown (edited June 30, 2010).]

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MikeL
Member # 9138

Thanks, I know I will need to work on the openings more eventually, I am trying to get the story on the paper first. I wanted to run them by you all to get an idea of what the issues may be, so that I can try to avoid some of the same issues in the rest.

Anyway, Daelan, MC, is experiencing the dreams as if he is the young boy. It is full clairvoyance; and he, for the moments of the dream, is the little boy. He doesn't think or understand that it is a different person. Not yet anyway. He see it, feels it, smells , and moves, as if himself even though it is really someone else. His mind becomes the mind of the other for a few min.

It is a difficult POV problem as you can see. If you or anyone else could help with the prologue I would very much appreciate it. I am stuck on a scene that will involve a similar pov.

[This message has been edited by MikeL (edited June 30, 2010).]

ryanalarsen
Member # 9160

- posted      Profile for ryanalarsen   Email ryanalarsen         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with some other posts that I had no idea this was a dream. When looking at these "first 13 lines" posts, I always try to read what the editors will read first: the first 13 lines and maybe the title. The little explanations that people put are nice, but unfortunately they aren't what will hook someone.

I really enjoyed some of the imagery (I've always been a sucker for thunderstorms, as you'll see if you look at my own first 13 lines post when I get it in here) this put in my mind. There are just a few things that might turn off an editor. Top on my list would be the repetitive word "he", which can be found at the front of at least 5 sentences and scattered throughout the piece. That's something that would easily be fixed with a rewrite, although it might necessitate having some sort of name.

The nostalgia is nice, but if he doesn't know where... let alone who... he is, wouldn't confusion override any other emotion?

Overall, it wasn't bad; I hope I'm not being too negative. Since this is a first draft, it's impossible to judge ultimate quality. Please keep writing and don't worry so much about defending yourself. We've all got things we're working on!

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MikeL
Member # 9138

Thanks.

BTW, I'm not trying to defend, I just am having trouble with the POV.

Here is why: Daelan is dreaming. In the dream he is this little boy. This little boy is real. What is happening to him is real. Daelan's personality is gone for the moment and he is thinking from the mind of the little boy. When Daelan wakes he remembers it as a normal memory, but he was dreaming. Deep down he knows it is real, but all logic says it's not, so he is very conficted.

This conflict is important to part of the story. I will probably figure it out eventually, but till then I am seeking pointers. One thought, should I just tell the reader it's a dream? Or is it better to find out from Daelan?

Part of the goal is that we will never know who this little boy was and Daelan will make a point to remember him in his own way.
If you haven't guessed yet the boy doesn't live very long.

Thanks for the input I need it to make the intro solid.

ryanalarsen
Member # 9160

- posted      Profile for ryanalarsen   Email ryanalarsen         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe a good way to start the book would be *outside* a dream. Perhaps when the main character wakes up from a particularly bad nightmare that seems too real? Or maybe start with him in bed, wide awake, not wanting to fall asleep because he fears what might await him when his eyes close? It would be a great way to start with tension and at the same time delve into your main character's mind.
Posts: 14 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

Mike, I suspect you have the right approach. Tell the dream experience as it happens, in your prologue's POV. Maybe supply a tag (the boy) instead of just He? Or maybe change it to first person? Nah.

Random musings: Heck, perhaps if he thinks it is himself you could use HIS name in the dream, and later when he starts to catch on, he could start dreaming the other people's names--part of his awakening could include a gradual separation of himself from the other person while he becomes an observer in the dream state. Well, maybe not--if you don't like that idea, leave out the name. In fact, I don't like it, because he IS different people. It wouldn't work unless his initial dreams were about people very similar to him. And I like the full immersion.

It'll be even more interesting when he thinks he's a woman in the dream, or someone very different from him in age and experience. I can imagine him thinking WTF when he wakes up from a dream where someone addressed him by a different name.

Then in the start of chapter one, under your other post, reference the dream. He's awake and reflecting on these repeating nightmares, so make it clear that what we just read in the prologue was the latest of these nightmares. Perhaps strengthen your premise by having him think he was the person in the dream. For example, "In some of the dreams he was the person 'they' were after; this time he was a bystander..." could be more like "There was always someone after him, or violence where he got caught in the crossfire." Maybe??

1. You don't have to answer every question, because the questions are posed for your benefit, not ours. But obviously sometimes a dialogue helps all of us know what you are trying to achieve, so we can react to that.

2. There was a discussion once about Prologues. Some people just skip them. So if it is Vital to the story, consider making it a short chapter one.

3. As always, take what you like and leave the rest I really don't want to mess up YOUR story.

[This message has been edited by MrsBrown (edited July 01, 2010).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, tell the reader as soon as you possibly can that they are reading about a dream. You can put it in the chapter (or prologue) title:

Prologue: Dream #1 or Chapter One: Dream #1

or

Prologue: Dream about the Boy or Chapter One: Dream about the Boy

but get the information in quickly so the reader is not confused.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MikeL
Member # 9138

Thank you all so much. I think I have very good idea and direction to procede now. I can go forward with confidence. Oh, my gosh, you can't even begin to guess how much you all have helped me so far, thanks!!!!!

Speacial thanks to MrsBrown and K.D.W., you latest posts nailed it for me. MrsBrown I will deffinately use (the boy), and K.D.W. I will give the information in the title that this is a dream.

Again, thanks.

[This message has been edited by MikeL (edited July 01, 2010).]

MikeL
Member # 9138

Bump for revision.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.