Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » What About Us

Author Topic: What About Us
Kimlin
Member # 9239

- posted      Profile for Kimlin   Email Kimlin         Edit/Delete Post 
Have two questions which opening you like best and if B how do I make it sound less like a girl wrote it lol
quote:

A
'Angus!! Behave now!.' The brat has been making trouble for the whole class all day. Thank goodness the last day of term is here. My boys are helping me set up the Royal Academy's auditorium, putting chairs out, printing off and placing programmes. One final performance from the school ensemble, and we can all go home. My partner Nate is home from his latest secret service mission, and I am hoping we could go out to celebrate the end of the winter term tonight. I have my suit and shirt all picked out for the occasion.

'Angus!! Jack!!!' My brother and Jack have a volatile relationship, if I don't separate them now, the Abbot will be here with local dignitaries, and I'll be in as much trouble as the boys. Discipline for the Masters here is as stiff as for

quote:
B
'I didn't do it Angus.'

'Yeah well that's your problem isn't it you don't do anything.'

'Come on then do something about it.'

There is an almighty crash. What the heck. I rush outside. My brother has Jack pinned up against a wall and Jack is flailing at his chest area, before he finally lands a kick and causes my brother to back off and starts punching him. My brother is six foot ten and Jack is wiry little fighter, I am wondering how I am going to break this up, it is getting nasty.

'Scholars Angus and Sorenson, your behaviour is unacceptable.' says the Abbot

[This message has been edited by Kimlin (edited September 10, 2010).]

Posts: 49 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DerekBalsam
Member # 8471

- posted      Profile for DerekBalsam   Email DerekBalsam         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kimlin,

I can't really say what's "best" since the two versions are very different and I don't know what your goal is. Nevertheless I'll try to be helpful

The A version focuses more on the viewpoint character and her?his? relationships, with less focus on any action or the relationship between the boys. It does with with less showing, more telling. You manage to pack in more information in this version.

The B version focuses more on the boys' relationship and less on the viewpoint character's. It does this by more showing, less telling. The action helps us show the boy's relationship, and the viewpoint character's reaction shows us her feelings about them. Her feelings seem to be more resigned (how can I break them up?) than sympathetic. You also don't try to 'pack in' so much information.

I like B more in terms of technique. On the other hand, in B I'm not sure where the Abbot came from. It sounds like he was there the whole time watching the whole fight.

I'd prefer something like B since it shows, not tells, and it raises more questions than it answers.

Nice work

PS In both versions you have some minor punctuation/grammatical items you may want to look at. For example, using single quotes ' instead of double quotes " for dialog, and some run-on sentences in version B.

Posts: 67 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimlin
Member # 9239

- posted      Profile for Kimlin   Email Kimlin         Edit/Delete Post 
oops need to get into habit of stating my nationality lol I am in the UK. I am allowed to use single quotes, my sentences need work but I am also allowed to run on not that much but a bit more than an American lol

That was really insightful thank you. The Abbot has a habit of being everywhere lol The narrator is male.

[This message has been edited by Kimlin (edited September 10, 2010).]

Posts: 49 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DerekBalsam
Member # 8471

- posted      Profile for DerekBalsam   Email DerekBalsam         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you're right, I hadn't considered UK usage on the quotes; thanks.
Posts: 67 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.