Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Untitled

Author Topic: Untitled
RLKnight
Member # 9703

- posted      Profile for RLKnight   Email RLKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
As some of you know, I have been attempting to write a Super-Hero genre book. I have the basic story already written in my head, so I know what is going on and what has to happen. My problem has been how to focus that into a good start. I still do not have a real title, though I have worked with some, none have WOW'd me. But here are my first 13 in the prologue:

“Care to check out the football game?” The Alliance of Champions member known as Fore-Shadow questioned his partner, Solitaire.
“We are supposed to be on…”
“Solitaire, Fore-Shadow, how close to Peyton Stadium are you?” Wyld-Star, leader of the Alliance chirped over Solitaire’s communications link.
Solitaire turned a knowing glance toward Fore-Shadow. She hated when he did that, hated when he knew things before they were going to happen. “We can be there in a snap, boss.” She replied. “Ok, so what’s going on at the Stadium?” She sighed, turning her attention back to her teammate.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denevius
Member # 9682

- posted      Profile for Denevius   Email Denevius         Edit/Delete Post 
maybe using a temporary title might focus the beginning a bit more. as it stands now, i think you're throwing too many complicated names at readers that slow down the beginning. then, to juxtapose these names with something as mundane as football doesn't exactly inspire interest.

how much more have you written so far?

Posts: 1216 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C@R3Y
Member # 9669

- posted      Profile for C@R3Y   Email C@R3Y         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Denevius. I tripped over the names and it made it harder to focus completely on what is happening. For me, at least.
Posts: 193 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RLKnight
Member # 9703

Ok, I am guessing the Alliance of Champions is one of the complicated names since Solitaire and Fore-Shadow are simply two characters. It would be no different than opening up with a conversation between Jim and Sally. As for the football game, I needed an area where lots of people gather, where its open yet confined (such as a stadium). The thirteen lines set up that something is happening that requires two super-hero types to take care of it. Since it was stated it is a super-hero genre story.
With that said, I can use the shortened version of Alliance of Champions... so its just the Alliance. I do not have to name the Stadium. So that would cut down on complicated names.
Denevius, no, checking out a football game in of itself is rather ho hum. I agree. But the larger context of the 13 lines does point to something other than a football game happening at the stadium.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RLKnight
Member # 9703

I could cut out the first part, simple go to right before Solitaire and Fore-Shadow arrive at the stadium. If I do that, then these 13:

A gash of blue pulsing energy formed before them, a mystic doorway of eldritch force. Solitaire smiled and stepped through the portal followed closely by Fore-Shadow. The streets of Century city melted away like wet paint running down glass. In an instant, Peyton Stadium loomed before them.
“It looks quiet enough. Sensing anything?”
Fore-Shadow concentrated, sending invisible

RLKnight
Member # 9703

Den, I have about 12000 words (50 or so pages) written. However, there are parts of the prologue not written yet as well as the end of chapter 1.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by RLKnight:
I could cut out the first part, simple go to right before Solitaire and Fore-Shadow arrive at the stadium. If I do that, then these 13:

A gash of blue pulsing energy formed before them, a mystic doorway of eldritch force. Solitaire smiled and stepped through the portal followed closely by Fore-Shadow. The streets of Century city melted away like wet paint running down glass. In an instant, Peyton Stadium loomed before them.
“It looks quiet enough. Sensing anything?”
Fore-Shadow concentrated, sending invisible

That's only 7 lines by my count. You could add 6 more lines to it, RLKnight.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.