Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WotF Critique Group 2008 Q04 -- Early Submissions (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: WotF Critique Group 2008 Q04 -- Early Submissions
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for the mix-up on formatting manuscripts, arriki. I'll be sure to put something into the header of our WotF group discussions in the future.

Also, as a heads up to everyone out there, Open Office (free on the internet) DOES open up word Perfect documents. So, if you ever find yourself in this situation again, you could just use that program. Just found out myself. And of course, it was too late to make a difference. Doh! Thanks for putting up with us, arriki.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
When does my email box start filling up with stuff for critique?

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited August 06, 2008).]

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
Arriki, did I send you mine? I don't recall. I'll send it along if not. Let me know.

Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

I haven't received it, anthony
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
Sent!
Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
arriki, it's the_quester. The best thing to do, is to click on the little profile symbol then hilight then copy and paste the email address into your email browser. That's how I do it.
Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I still want to read/review a copy. But I can't open word perfect files. Can you re-send it as an rtf?
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Arriki, the deadline for our next round of crits is this next Thursday the 14th of August. So, you should start getting the bulk of other people's submissions around then. That's the date that I'm shooting for anyways. I know that some people will get them done early, and newbies to the group like you and Zero have sent yours out as soon as joining the group. So, there is a method to our madness. It's just not readily apparent sometimes. lol.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Several people had mentioned some other published author (Sheffield?) who had written about fish on europa. I haven't read him or any of his works. I can't help it if someone else has written on the same idea. I have my version and I'm not going to casually toss it away. There are no truly new stories. It's depressing to hear about it, but that's life. I still think Harry and John have a good story all on their own.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

There's only one problem with that. Kathy Wentworth (THE coordinating judge and lone individual that takes the thousands of WotF entries each quarter and narrows them down to the top eight stories) has said that for the WotF writing contest, the single most important part of any entry is its originality. Nothing else. Yeah, it needs to be written well, and the story needs to make sense; you need believable characters, etc, etc. But its originality that will get you an award. So, if you have a great story, that's all well and good, but it probably won't go very far in THIS contest. I think that's the main reason why people would have mentioned Sheffield. Just my two cents though.
arriki
Member # 3079

just how close is his?

If it's just about looking for life on Europa I don't see a problem. Mine is about some scientists trying to live off grants.

arriki
Member # 3079

So, before you guys do any more critiquing on this story -- what should I do? Workshop another story? One about a vanishing basement?
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

Arriki, have you read the story in question?

I have. I really enjoyed it. I still haven't received and updated copy of yours. I couldn't open the Word Perfect version.

the story in question had a specific style and situation that might not be at all related to yours. It might work. I recommend giving his a read before I scrapped my story.

Anthony

arriki
Member # 3079

I don't have a copy or know where to find one. I'm not sure of the author even. 'what is the title or where it was published...just you guys saying it even exists.

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited August 08, 2008).]

AWSullivan
Member # 8059

Ok... I just read up and I realize now that we might be talking about two different stories. I'm thinking of the short story written by Jeff Carlson in the latest WotF Anthology. It can be purchased at the link below.

http://www.amazon.com/Ron-Hubbard-Presents-Writers-Future/dp/1592123988/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218258549&sr=8-1

It is a story about finding life on Europa. Well... thats not what it is really about but that is the backdrop.

Hope this helps.

Anthony

arriki
Member # 3079

I have that -- #23. I was not impressed with The Frozen Sky. A matter of taste, mayb. It's not anywhere near the same story. And mine is humorous.

Still the subject matter is a bit too close, Perhaps I should wait another quarter? Submit the one about the basement now?

Would you guys read that?

arriki
Member # 3079

I'm going to go ahead with Fish Story.

I have updated a couple of problems that keep coming up in critiques, so If you haven't read it yet, you can ask for the new version.

Sorry for the trouble.

arriki

annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Arriki, I think going ahead with the fish story is a great idea.

I sort of waffled on my story last quarter. I was afraid it would be dismissed out of hand because of its similarities to Bladerunner. I still don't know if it has or hasn't, since I haven't heard back from them yet. Nevertheless, I decided I didn't really care. I wrote the story because that was the story I wanted to tell. I wrote it with passion because I believed in it. If it doesn't strike them as original, well, I'm still entering this quarter, and likely the quarter after that, etc etc. In other words, I decided it was a risk I wanted to take.

I've read your story (I'll send my crit along shortly). I haven't read the story people are referring to. Likely there are many stories about life on Europa. I haven't read so many stories that tackle the subject matter you did. Therefore, I think yours is original, and you should go for it.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

After (another) rough week, I have completed the critiques of AWSullivan and arriki's stories (they will be back with you by the end of the day) AND completed my story! Yippee! I'm feeling much better about it than I was a week ago.

So... looking for readers, if anyone's willing. Annepin, I will send a copy your way as you said you would read. Thanks

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

Ariki and darklight, Please send me your stories. I can accept any MSWord readable format. Plain text works too.

Anthony

arriki
Member # 3079

darklight, I'll read. too
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Right, I have a fourth Q entry that's close and needs a look over by fresh eyes. Willing to trade or jump into whatever you have going on here.

Tracy

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

I'll take a look at it, Tracy. Send it over, I'll get it back to you in the next few days.
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

Same here, Tracy. Send it over.

Anthony

arriki
Member # 3079

Me, too

So when do we start the '09 first quarter stories?
I think mine will be that China Station I put the the 13 lines up for critique.

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited August 13, 2008).]

Zero
Member # 3619

Me too!
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Hey all. Been out for a while. At a conference for supercomputing. Won't be back to real life for a few more days, but wanted to pop my head up really quick and give a blurb.

I'm open for your story, Tracy.

Arriki, if things go according to prior schedules, the first round of crits for 1st Q 2009 (26th year of WotF) for the early submission group (this one) will be due on Oct 7th. Also, the book I referenced in my crit of your story was Cold as Ice, by Charles Sheffield. He has submarines going into the Europan ocean through a huge hole in the ice, and they find life in the depths. Sounds like you've decided on what to do though. Glad to see that.

Finally, after getting another crit back this last Monday, I've decided to essentially re-write my entire story. In doing this, I'm not only responding to your crits, but also trying to do a better job according to my own strictures. Hopefully, the new incarnation will be better. I think that it will be. As is, I'm doubting that I'll have the new first draft up for critting by the next deadline (tomorrow, the 14th), but should be done by the end of the month. So, I'm planning on sending my story for the quarter in by mid-September, and thus, if it's okay, I'll send my new story out for a crit in about two weeks. Hope this is okay with everyone. If not, let me know. Otherwise, look for mine to come through your inboxes about the time that you're all sending your entries off.

Luck to you all.

Christopher
Member # 6336

- posted      Profile for Christopher   Email Christopher         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, you can send me your story then. There's only a few of us over at the regular Q04 group (not the early submission group), and that's more in line with our time table anyway. That goes for anyone else too. If anyone is having trouble meeting the early submission dates, pop on over to the other thread and send it to the regular Q04 group.
Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

WriterDan, I've missed the deadline, too. I've been straddling both groups. I plan on sending my second draft in the next couple weeks, but I'm open to reading anyone else's, anytime.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

Sent out my Second draft this afternoon.

Thanks for reading, everyone.

If I owe you a crit let me know. Currently, the only person who I think I still need to do is darklight.

Anthony

[This message has been edited by AWSullivan (edited August 15, 2008).]

Zero
Member # 3619

I realize I'm late in coming, but I will be sending out my draft shortly.
arriki
Member # 3079

I think I've been through all the critiques you've sent me for "Fish Story." Any still unsent?

Whose masterpieces have I not critiqued aside from darklight's?

annepin
Member # 5952

I don't think you've done mine. I'm still thinking about writing a second draft. Give me a week or so, I'll get there. Of course, I think I said that a week ago!
Zero
Member # 3619

So who, exactly, should I be sending my draft out to?
annepin
Member # 5952

Lol! Okay, this is the last list that was posted, with some adjustments. Folks, please edit as necessary but if you do plese copy and paste the entire list into your post so we have a running list of names that we can easily reference.

Crit&Submit:
Writer Dan
Annepin
AWSullivan
snapper
Zero
arriki
darklight?

Crit Only:
stammsp

Unknown:
cklabyrinth (No submit, open to crit?)
KayTi (Our group or regular submission group?)
tnwilz?
Christopher?
ChrisOwens?

I think at this point the borders between the early submission and "regular" folks has blurred, so I suggest we combine the two, at least until the early folks start sending their stories out.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited August 20, 2008).]

Zero
Member # 3619

OK I did it. I sent it out. Let me know if you didn't get it. And get back to me whenever. It's my revised version, so, hopefully, it will read smoothly with only minimal mistakes.

And let me just say, I appreciate you all taking the time to read it and give me honest feedback. And I enjoy reading your stories and sharing my thoughts. We have a good community here, I think that's why we do well.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited August 20, 2008).]

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Sounds good to me, annepin. I'm a little blurry-headed today, so I'm glad to see that you took care of this. Had a friend of mine talk me into getting in a round of golf (9 holes) this morning at 6:30. Ugh. I am NOT a morning person. And to think, I paid twenty bucks for that. Wow. My new story is coming along. Hoping to have it done by August-end. If anyone doesn't have a critique from me, send it along. I've done five critiques so far, but I'm just a bit too hazy to figure out exactly who those five people are. Ha! Let's see my development code try to outwit me today.

[This message has been edited by WriterDan (edited August 20, 2008).]

arriki
Member # 3079

My copy of zero's story came in one long paragraph. Anyone else experience the same?
Zero
Member # 3619

I re-sent it as an rtf. And that a pdf can come garbled still confuses me. But please let me know if the new one doesn't work, or if you haven't received it.
arriki
Member # 3079

received it and the formatting looks fine.

However...I think you started off with a not very evocative description. Were you setting the mood? But a quiet mood rarely draws readers on deeper into the story.

Some write prose that is too dense, and some write it too light. On the basis of just the first page, it seems to me that you are the latter. Just my opinion. I'll go through the story later. Right now I gotta go earn money.

KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in, but won't have my first draft ready (but it'll be a solid draft, I've worked the heck out of the first 2500 words at the very least) until a few days after the kids start back at school. Hopefully before Sept 1, but probably right around there.

My ability to crit will open wide then, too - so keep me in mind for next round/drafts not ready til late August.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Yes the prose is a bit tight. At least, how I think you're defining it. But I chose that style intentionally.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Updated list:

Crit&Submit:
Writer Dan
Annepin
AWSullivan
snapper
Zero
arriki
KayTi
tnwilz

Crit Only:
stammsp

Unknown:
cklabyrinth (No submit, open to crit?)
darklight?
Christopher?
ChrisOwens?

So, it looks as though most of us in this group will be doing work on our stories well into September, and we won't be sending them off as soon as initially planned. I do, however, think that it's still a good idea to have a group that is at least "striving" to get their entries turned in early. So, crits are open this quarter. We're all in this together. Send out your stories when they're ready, and well try to get back to the early structure next quarter. Looking forward to more fun reading. Later all.

Christopher
Member # 6336

- posted      Profile for Christopher   Email Christopher         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, I finally got my story ready to send to you guys, but now I'm confused. We've combined groups? Who should I send it to? I don't need a line by line. At this point, I just need a general comment read-through.

And whatever group I'm in, you guys send me your stories. Let me know what kind of reading you need.

Chris

NOTE: I just sent my story to annepin because she was part of the other, regular time table group.

[This message has been edited by Christopher (edited August 22, 2008).]

Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I still own annepin a crit, when she's ready. I'm a bit confused between this group and the other Q4...

I'm thinking of letting the story sit until next quarter or two, and tackle the rough draft with a fresh mind. I've switched back to a fantasy story that seems to have more promise. I'm not sure if it'll be done before 9/30. I haven't even finished the first draft.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Yeah... I'm working on it! I'm going to have my next draft out by the end of August. I've been writing a lot for work lately, which makes it hard for me to write fiction.

At this point the groups have sort of devolved into a free for all. There's no appreciable difference between this and the other group. I think we've each set different deadlines for ourselves. I suggest each person make sure they get what they need, be conscientious in returning crits, and not worry too much about which group they're in.

AWSullivan
Member # 8059

Yeah, free-for-all is the right word.

I suspect I've gotten just about all the feedback I'm going to on my story. Baring something devastating I'll be sending mine out late next week.

I don't think I can make it any better. That doesn't mean it's brilliant, mind you. It just means that I have made it as good as my skills will allow.

I know I owe a couple of you crits yet. I'll be working on them tonight and tomorrow.

Anthony

Christopher
Member # 6336

Alright, seems how we're all kinda crashing each others party (the two groups suddenly combining), if anyone wants a fresh read of their story, let me know. Also, anyone who is willing to read my story--general read through--let me know and I'll send it your way.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

I'm open Chris. Send it my way. I still have a little ways to finish mine. But be ready.
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. This is a problem I have in real life. As there are at least two surnamed Chris(topher) in this group, if not more, it might be a good idea to be more specific.

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited August 22, 2008).]

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.