Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WotF Critique Group 2008 Q04 -- Early Submissions (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: WotF Critique Group 2008 Q04 -- Early Submissions
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
Boredcrow and Christopher, I haven't read either of your stories yet, so please send them over and I'll critique them over the weekend.

I finished writing my replacement story a couple of nights ago, yeh! I'm not going to bother with asking for critiques, just going to read through, look for anything glaring, and send it off, then get writing my next story.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in need of another look or two at my entry for 4Q - does anyone have the time? Story currently stands at 6100 words.

Thanks!

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Send it my way.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
KayTi, I'll look it over.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still coming with mine too, KayTi. Will do my best to get it done today. Just slipped my mind. I apologize. Too much on my plate right now.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

S'ok Dan - I usually look for 3-5 crits at this stage so I'm just shopping for a few more readers. Zero, I sent last night, let me know if it didn't come. Arriki, appreciate the offer, your feedback is always helpful. Sending it now.
Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Tomorrow's it peoples! Don't forget! Don't forget!

Hope my crit got to you okay, KayTi. Sent it last Thursday.

Luck everyone!

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got back from the post office. Eep! I'm nervous! (this is my first submission to WOTF).
Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

LOL, I'm making my final edits tonight. Down to the wire girl, I tell ya. Bored - good luck! Same to everyone. Great contest if nothing else it forces you to write a solid polished short story four times a year. While that may not be up to the production rate of those who write one a week or one a month, it's given me a nice little library of stories I'm proud of.

Zero
Member # 3619

I got mine out saturday and have been crossing my fingers ever since.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christopher
Member # 6336

- posted      Profile for Christopher   Email Christopher         Edit/Delete Post 
Just mailed mine off this afternoon. I think we wrote some good stuff this quarter. It will be interesting to see how we do.
Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Kayti!
And indeed, good luck to everyone.

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Yes, good luck all.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Think I beat ya this quarter, KayTi. Doing MY final draft right now. Edits are down to 10-15 per page this time through. Coming close. Shooting to mail of my final before the 4:45 post office deadline this afternoon. Ah, the sweet smell of napalm in the morning. TO THE TRENCHES!!!
WriterDan
Member # 6456

And it's off!!!

With a whole ten minutes to spare before the postal deadline.

Freak, I gotta stop doing things like this. Hope I can get closer to my goal next quarter.

Luck all.

snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh geez!

I got to send mine off! Where's an envelope? Do I have enough ink? Whats the address? How many stamps do I need? How much money is enough for a good bribe? I always forget that one.

Ooops! That's right. I sent mine on July 2nd (I missed the last one)

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, good luck! I'm feeling a little envious--I didn't get it together this time. But I'm gonna get cracking on next quarter!
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

OK, Dan, I'll give you this one, but you only beat me by about 30 mins. I was at the post office at 4:20, MS in hand (on the fancy spanky new heavier and whiter paper I got at the office supply store after the last MS preparation discussion over the summer), envelopes addressed.

I am still wondering, though, where my reject from last quarter is. My understanding is that all the entries have been judged, I didn't win anything but haven't seen my MS come back to me yet. Hmm, wonder what's in the mailbox today...

Anne - fifty lashes! Get cracking my friend.

darklight
Member # 5213

Mine when out on the 26th, for the third entry running. Not intentional, but that seems to be the date some higher force wants me to post it on.

Incidently, got an email today from WotF saying my entry did not win the third quater.

Good luck to all that entered this quarter. One of us is going to win it soon!

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

Mmm...just got another email from WotF saying my third quarter entry did not win. This time though, instead of Dear Contestant, it was Dear Louise, and mentioned the title of my story.

Anyone else get this kind of email?

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Nothing ever so specific. You must just be special.
Zero
Member # 3619

How long does it usually take for some kind of confirmation that they even received it? And does that come via mail or e-mail?
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
Zero,

Usually 3 weeks or so from the date sent. However, I sent my story out in August and still hadn't received a response as of the deadline so I emailed Joni and she confirmed that it had been received.

Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Thanks. Oh, and how long does it usually take for them to send you back your manuscipt with a note entitled "Nice Try, Bub." ?
KayTi
Member # 5137

If you sent in your story near the end of the deadline, expect to hear back near the end of the *next* deadline. They are earlier some quarters, but not always.

The HMs and Finalists/Semis were announced a few weeks ago - just before the Sept 30 deadline.

While I still haven't received my MS back, I'm a no-show by virtue of not being on the HM or Fin/semi list. It's just a matter of getting back that "thanks" paper.
(and scratching head to figure out what went wrong with the story where the speculative element is right up front and ... sigh.)

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Well, I finally got my response back from WotF: Honorable Mention. Man, that just seemed like it took forever. Has everyone else gotten theirs already?
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.