Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » NSG (Novel Support Group) for 1/16 - 1/22

Author Topic: NSG (Novel Support Group) for 1/16 - 1/22
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I have 1,744 words on my horror doodle, 5,000 words on my HF chapter outlines and a complete rough outline with my co-author. By the end of the week, I expect--not counting any unforeseen events--to have the chapter outlines done fo our collaboration--Working Title Initials: POTD.

Goal: To finish the chapter outlines for both projects and 2,000 words on my doodle project.

How's everything going for you?

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, these are my guesses as to what IB title is: Pond of the Dead, Path of the Dagger, Peter of the Dark, Peanuts or the Dougnuts, Pain of the Debutant, Put Octupus to Death.

My money is on the last one. Pain of the Debutant sounds like something I would actually write, and then be ashamed of myself for writing. The last one sounds like a children book to me. Not a publishable childrens book, but still.

My goal this week is to finish chapter fifteen. It's not started yet, But it will be. Hopefully more than started.

I need to stop working on distractions, and finish. I did okay though, because yesterday I wrote a good chapter. I'm liking fourteen, well mostly. But other than the one day of good writing, nothing productive was finished.

~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I have about 1000 words on my newest novel (Dreamer's Rose) and about 1350 more of bits and pieces for later in the story. The outline for this one is still pretty broad and I'm learning all kinds of things about these characters as I write the little scenes that come to me for later in the the story. This one is threatening to hijack me away from the one I should be working on.

Book Two (horrible working title of Seven Brothers) is at just over 75000 words. This is where I should be concentrating my efforts. But I keep waking up with the other one in my head.

Goal for next week would be to finish chapter 32 on Book Two (which isn't started) and maybe allow myself to do chapter two on Dreamer's Rose as a reward.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
LoL, Sheena. None of the above...but you do have the "of the" right.

However, my coauthor is another Hatracker, so the title still may be revealed.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I did good this week. I finished revising the chapter I was working on and then revised another one. I also got about 1000 words down for the sudden fiction contest. I'm trying hard to not let this short story turn into a novel, but maybe I'll let it turn into a novel later.

My goal this week is to start a new chapter and get at least 1000 words into it, finish the other 1000 words for the short story, revise two chapters, and get through all the crits I need to do. Hmmm, big goals for me, but maybe I'll be able to do them.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I play guess the title?????

Anyway, goals:

Try to get the ending of Falcon to BE AN ENDING . . . edit the earlier new first draft chapters. MUST get word count down by 30K.

Finish outling the next story and not have major insights that take the story over . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . here . . .
rather than there. Although it's much better for the insights. Start writing that.

Convince myself not to start a magazine and limit myself to a blog.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

I'll give you a hint, it's not: Plesiosaurs of the Dunes.

But it was a tempting title.

BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Pencils of the Dead?

You know, an artist zombie horror story...

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
Popsicles of the Den
Penguins of the Delta
Parachutes of the Dingos
Peter of the Ditch
ooh--Points of the Diamond

My 5 year old helped me with that. My very modest goal is to keep working on getting one chapter a week ready for critiquing.

[This message has been edited by Unwritten (edited January 18, 2009).]

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Nope.

Interesting how the guesses are great fodder for writing prompts though, eh?

Another hint is, it's not:
Pastries of the Damned.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Uck.

First time I read that as:

Pasties of the Damned

Just not a good image.

Still trying to get my most recent story out for WotF. And mostly trying to figure out a way to get my novel character from being in City A to wanting to go to City B. I'm close. Think that's happening as part of chapter 18.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

LMAO @ Pasties of the Damned. (Damned could just be people. Unless you're George A. Romero)

But, I know you were thinking Pasties of the Dead.

shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I just can't get back into my novel. I've just kind of stalled. I feel like I have reached the end in my mind and I'm frustrated because of the lack of prospects this story has now. Like I've made choice b and followed it to the end, but now I'm wondering if I should have chosen choice A. I can't find the impetus to continue and to finish out the results of my choice.
I don't know, it's just frustrating. I feel like I did when I was a kid after Christmas was over, and all the present are opened. Like I like what I got, but there was so much more possibilitie before when the presents was wrapped, and now, I'm ungrateful and lazy and don't want to play with the toys now that they're unwrapped.
Does that make sense? Have any of you felt like that before?
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christian
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for Christian   Email Christian         Edit/Delete Post 
My goal is to just write. Anything. Anything at all. I've been away for about a year. I have an excellent idea in my head. I have the prologue planned. I know what happens at the end of my story, and most of what happens in the middle. However, the one time I sat down to write, I was disgusted with what came out. It was like trying to cook something sweet with brown sugar, but when I finished it tasted like I'd used sand instead.

And no matter how many times I called out, Calgon just refused to take me away.

Posts: 135 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I've felt like that before. My story always seems to run in cycles. Sometimes it's all I can think about and my fingers itch to type more. Then there's been times when it's hard to think about it, the magic's gone.

After my baby was born I took a few months off of writing and it was hard to start back up again. My story needed a new character and then it was alive again and possiblities opened up that I hadn't thought about before. I had to get back in touch with what I loved about the story and get in tune with my characters. Then I was into it again.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christian
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for Christian   Email Christian         Edit/Delete Post 
You're right satate...maybe that's what I need to do. Have a baby. No, wait...I mean "find what I love about the story". Having a baby could involve some complicated surgery and years of hormone therapy. ;-)
Posts: 135 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Where's my boots? That darn horse keeps getting away... I need to cowboy up and get back on 'im.

(referring to a prior goal to get back on the [writing] horse)

I wrote up some notes, and flailed about with two potential timeline changes that would force a re-write of everything I have so far. Gotto solve it, because I can't move forward without knowing how old everyone is and who is related to whom.

Patience of the Dread
Petulence of the Dwarves
Pestilence of the Dogs
Permutations of the Daft

[This message has been edited by MrsBrown (edited January 23, 2009).]

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.