Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Wotf Critique Group -- 2009 Q04 -- Early Submissions (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Wotf Critique Group -- 2009 Q04 -- Early Submissions
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Same here, Arikki. I take it that one in F&F is your WotF planned submission? All that is in front of you is Owasm rewrite and that shouldn't take long for me to get through.

So send away!

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the one if f&f is the same CORY.

I'm sending snapper and JenniferHicks copies.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to respectfully bow out of this group. Life has gone crazy.

Good luck and happy thoughts to all of you.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Okay. Anyone else have a story draft you want me to look over? Or, willing to take a (I hope) last look at Cory before I send him off?
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I've read it this time around, arriki. Send it to me.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm back from my holiday and now have a finished story that I'll be ready to send out in the next couple of days. She might be a little rough but its getting late in the quarter and I know I need to get some thoughts on it before its too late to edit and tidy up. Hope everyone in the group is up for critiquing.

I've got a couple of stories to critique and am ready for more if you'd like to send them out.

I can't beleive it'll soon be time to start the next quarter's stories but luck has it, I have an outline for one for next time, and a plot for a sequal for this one. I'm feeling pretty good about things right now, hope it stays that way for a while!

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

sending CORY to Writer Dan and darklight. Thanks guys.

Next time I'm going back to sf. I've got one that just needs polishing so I may be sending it out way early so I can focus down on one much closer to my heart -- one of my lysiscan stories that has to be cut down -- 29k to what? 16K

WriterDan
Member # 6456

So, mine is out. If anyone didn't get it that wants it, let me know.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Hey Dan.

I think there is something wrong with the file you sent me. I think its missing 5 or 6 thousand words.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Has anyone else received my critique without the comments off to the side of the text throughout the piece?
snapper
Member # 7299

I got them. Has there been a problem with anyone else? I used the same technique you did, arikki, comments within the text and a commentary at the end (mine were in color though). Anyone else receive it differently? Let me know if you didn't.

arriki
Member # 3079

Yes, Jennifer Hicks missed all my comments the first time around and didn't tell me. I finally discovered that and resent my first critique. Then I started wondering if any other had gone astray.
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Arriki, I should have said something right away.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

lol @ snapper.
arriki
Member # 3079

Is there anyone who sent me a story for critqueing that I haven't returned? So far?
darklight
Member # 5213

I've sent my story off to the group. Let me know if you haven't received it, or if there's any problems.

I should have arriki's critique back by the end of tomorrow, then I'm on to WriterDan's.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

received it
WriterDan
Member # 6456

So, how's everyone shaping up for the "deadline"? One more weekend to go.

As for me, it looks like I'm going to be hugging the real deadline pretty close. Made the last connection that I needed to make for the next draft of mine. Been tossing ideas around for next quarter. Don't know if I should do a re-write of a past quarter's entry (Snapper might get excited about this possibility), try my hand at a humorous urban fantasy, or go with another tough, dark fantasy. Hmmm...

Anyhow, hope things are well with everyone else. As far as I know I only have one more crit to return (Darklight), and after that I'll be free again. Feel free to correct me if I've somehow forgotten yours.

Luck to everyone!

Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm backing out of submitting this quarter, though I'm still happy to critique for anyone who wants it. I spent the past couple of weeks working on a short for another market and WotF has fallen a bit by the wayside. But who knows, there might still be a miracle....
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm doing one last round of revisions before declaring my story done and will probably get it in the mail soon after Labor Day weekend (during which I'll be happily immersed in the geek heaven that is DragonCon and therefore too busy to write). I'm pretty happy with how this story has turned out.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

Okay, my first draft that I sent around requires far too much work to finish this quarter, so I've been digging around in my trunk for something I might dust off at the last minute and I have an opinion question for y'all. For WotF success, does the speculative element HAVE to be in the first page (or so)?

Bit of clarification. I have a milieu story where the speculative element doesn't show up at all until page two (in the form of a bizarrely dressed person) and really comes out at page 5/6 (which the MC leaves our world for another one). The beginning's pretty tightly written, so the only way I see to move the speculative element up is to throw it into a "free" paragraph at the beginning.

Thoughts?

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Maybe not a full blown, long paragraph but a hint there in the opening?

Typical stuff like

It all started on Thursday but the moon didn't fall that day

or -- The Ari was watching humanity and had been for a long time. It saw Judy get into her car and drive...

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited September 02, 2009).]

WriterDan
Member # 6456

The best way to make sure Kathy keeps reading is to get your speculative element in the first page. End.

That being said, there have been stories in past anthologies that haven't had that. In those cases, the writing was really well-done and pulled the reader into the story with just that. The speculative element, still, wasn't THAT far behind.

If you're looking for an opinion that's a little more pointed, you could always send me the story. Would be happy to take a look at it.

darklight
Member # 5213

I'v started a revision of my story, with a new beginning, eliminating that info-dumpish, italicised first scene, and enabling the eradication of those horrible flashbacks. Are there a couple of people who would be willing to read what I have so far, just to be sure I'm on the right track? It's going to be a week at least before the entire thing is ready, so there isn't going to be time for me to ask for a critique of the whole thing, but I'd apreciate some eyes looking over what I have right now. It's about 1500 words, so nothing too big.

In return, if there's anyone who needs someone to look over their edits/revisions, send my way.

Anyhow, hope you've all gotten something you're happy with. Good luck if you've already sent it out.

arriki
Member # 3079

Have I read it yet? If not, I'll do so.
darklight
Member # 5213

arriki, thanks. You've seen the original story, but if you're willing to look over this small section of rewrite, can I still send it? And if there's anything I can do for you, please send it over.
Kitti
Member # 7277

I'll give it a once-over.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Hey all,

So I know we're late in the game, but was curious if anyone would have time to read through my close-to-final draft. Story line is pretty much the same as before, details have changed though. If you do, lemme know.

After thinking about things, I think I'm going to re-draft an old story that got straight up returned to me a couple of years ago instead of writing a new one this next quarter. That way I can get ahead of things and not find myself in this position any more.

Thanks.

darklight
Member # 5213

Dan, looks like me and you are in the same boat.

I'm still trying to get my story polished up in time for the end of the month, but some tough family stuff has halted my progress. One final push and I'm sure I'll get mine finished up, just need to clear my head of what's been going on. Anyhow, I'll be happy to give your story a look. Send it over and I'll look at it tomorrow.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

FYI, the first set of honorable mentions for the third quarter has been posted. Anyone from Hatrack on the list?

http://wotfblog.galaxypress.com/

[This message has been edited by JenniferHicks (edited September 24, 2009).]

AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
Not I! But I submitted at the last minute last quarter so I didn't expect to be on this round.

~Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Writer Dan and Darklight, I'm open to reading your stories. I can do a quick turn-around. I didn't submit this time, but I'd like to support you guys!
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

I really appreciate the offer, annepin. If it's ok with you, I'm going to take you up on it. I've just finished putting the finishing touches to my story, and will send it over to you.

Thanks so much.

arriki
Member # 3079

Have I read and commented on this one yet?
darklight
Member # 5213

arriki, you've critiqued my story, and looked at some new scenes I wrote, one of which I had to ditch and start again.

I think I'm about there now, just got a few final touches to put to it, and it'll be in the mail, if not monday, tuesday at the latest. Thanks to everyone for all your help on this story.

Onwards to the next story, and beyond!

WriterDan
Member # 6456

And it's off!

Hallelujah, this quarter is over.

Thanks, everyone. This story turned out really good. I appreciate all your efforts on my behalf.

See you all next time.

Kitti
Member # 7277

Snuck mine in just before the deadline, too :-) Whew!
snapper
Member # 7299

Shouldn't it be about this time when some of submissions received word on how they did?

Anyone hear anything yet?

Kitti
Member # 7277

I haven't even heard back that they've received mine, but I did mail it in very late in the competition.
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I read a post from KDW on another board that she will be sending about a third of the Q4 entries back next week.

http://webnews.sff.net/read?cmd=xover&group=sff.writing.writersofthefuture

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Update: One-third of the entries were sent back Friday, so maybe we'll see some HMs next week.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

First round of HM's posted on the Wotf Blog!

Didn't recognize any names in this bunch, but there are sure to be more to come. Kathy has posted that she sent back a "whopping big bunch" of stories on the 31st, and that the rest are soon to come. So, not much longer to wait for this quarter.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, NickT.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Finalists and semi-finalists for the quarter to be finished by Monday of next week! Watch for those calls people. Wouldn't want to miss this one!
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
I am going through reading the entire WOTF thread on webnews.sff.net

http://webnews.sff.net/read?cmd=blogview&group=sff.writing.writersofthefuture&from=4203

(Link to the following comment on WOTF thread)

KD Wentworth commented on her judging style for picking finalists.

quote:
The sad reality is that if a story does not look like a possible winner very
early on, I have to go on to the next one because (insert very large number
here) stories are waiting for my attention. So put your best ammunition on
the first page!

Other nuggets from same thread

quote:
Re: The tips on the wotfblog...
Kathy Wentworth
Article 4241, Sat 22 Dec 2007 07:32:36a

HMs are stories that have exceptionally well executed plots, concepts, characters,
and/or prose, but just don't rise to the very top of the pile. If you get an
HM, it means you've scored in the top fifteen percent of all entries, which
is no small achievement. And it definitely means you should keep entering.
You're on the right track.

I think I have seen this one posted or linked here before but here it is again

quote:
Re: Semi-Finalists Today?
Kathy Wentworth
Article 4338, Tue 12 Feb 2008 05:29:26p

An Honorable Mention (formerly Quarterfinalist) is a story that has at least one (and usually more) area(s) of excellence, such as prose, characters, premise, setting, or plot, but is not retained for the very small pile of possible Finalists.
Typically, an Honorable Mention means that you have scored in the top fifteen percent of all entries.

Kathy Wentworth
Article 4666, Fri 18 Jul 2008 07:52:18a

quote:
... no one's story gets rejected because of a typo or misspelling. It's incredibly difficult to get all of those out because the eye sees what it expects to see. That's why it's helpful to get someone else to proof for you.

The single most important quality in a winning story is its originality. The people with the best imaginations are the ones with the most potential to have a great career, and getting new writers launched into careers is what the Contest
is all about.

Kathy Wentworth
Article 4811, Thu 09 Oct 2008 07:36:43a

quote:
1. "Smirked" means a mean nasty little smile. It is not an all purpose synonymn for the words "smile" or "grin."

2. The past tense of sink is sank. "We sank the boat." "Sunk" requires an auxillery verb. "We have sunk the boat."

3. Paragraphs are your friend. Become one with your tab key.

Kathy Wentworth
Article 4821, Fri 10 Oct 2008 08:05:59p

quote:
4. When it comes to over the top metaphors and similes ("the night sky put the moon coin away in its black purse"), JUST SAY NO.

5. It's never a good idea to use the word "orb" as a synonynm for "eye" or "sun."

6. Don't start with poetry that you've written yourself.

[This message has been edited by Dark Warrior (edited January 09, 2010).]

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Here is when the torture begins. Death by anticipation.

quote:
Finalists and semi-finalists for the quarter to be finished by Monday of next week! Watch for those calls people. Wouldn't want to miss this one!

One thing that is consistent about that WotF blog is they never do when they say they will do. Monday will come and go and not one Finalist or Semi-F will get notified (I bet).

So I shall sit on my hands, pace the room, chew my fingersnails down to the cudicles (I've been growing them long for this moment), peak out the window looking for the mailman, check my email; for the next two weeks now.

The damn problem is, I have no idea how my entry will do. I'll probably get a thanks but no thanks letter with my script but, what the hell, who knows? Maybe I'll be standing at the podium next August bragging to Skadder and Brad T that my trophy is bigger than theirs.

One can only hope.

Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I've already gotten my regrets email.

Consider it my stepping aside in favor of your majestic entry, Snapper.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Another update at SFF Snapper...good luck to you and everyone else.
quote:
Kathy Wentworth
Article 5185, Sat 09 Jan 2010 08:54:22a

I finished the first reading last night and am now sorting. Lots of good stories
this quarter!

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Ah, just forget about it, Snapper. Go write some more. That should help to get your mind off of things. That's the only way that I've found I could cope at these times of the year. Just keep writing, and then when the acceptance call/letter comes you can be all the more surprised. Of course, I know, easier said than done. Maybe all this is just for my own benefit. Say something enough and you begin to believe it. Good luck!
snapper
Member # 7299

Okay, with a snappy attitude like that you must have received some good news today. Go on, spill your guts Dan.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.