Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » On The Premises contest # 15 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: On The Premises contest # 15
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you unfamiliar with this publication, On The Premise is an online magazine that publishes every three months. They present a premise - more like a trigger - to follow. They ask for word counts between 1000 to 5000 words (and they are firm on those numbers). The editors serve as the slush readers, picking the best 9, and passes them along for an independent panel to judge.

Although they are not consider a pro-publication, they have a list of prizes that could pay you far more than the standard 5 cents a word, depending on how long your story is and how well it does. For example, if you finish first, and write a story close to 1000 words, you'll receive a healthy 18 cents a word for your piece. (beat that Clarkesworld).

This contest has a premise that is right up so many hatrackers alley, Myths and Legends. In fact, I'm betting almost everyone has a piece resting in their trunk they could submit right now.

This is what I am hoping for, a support group like the WotF that WriterDan runs. Unlike WotF, OTP announces how many authors submit every contest (expect 200), is open to all (even pro's like Brad, Ben, Adam, Pat, Eric, and yes even you She Who Musy Be Obeyed), is not restrictive to speculative fiction, and will give you (for ten bucks) and complete critique with a valid reason why our story didn't make the top 9.

So we can do this a couple of ways, run this just as they do in the WotF group, or turn this into a trigger challenge - post 13 lines and have fun picking the best of the bunch.

So who's in? If interested, copy the list below and add your name.

Snapper

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a story that will work.

Snapper
shimiqua

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
It might be nice if someone mentioned somewhere here on the forum (yes, I know it's on the contest website, but that's on the contest website) that the deadline for this contest is
quote:
11:59 PM Eastern Time, Friday, September 30, 2011

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wirelesslibrarian
Member # 9513

- posted      Profile for wirelesslibrarian   Email wirelesslibrarian         Edit/Delete Post 
Count me in. Can't resist an opportunity to escape reality once again. Wait, did I say that out loud?
Posts: 108 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a sucker for contests. I'm in. I'd prefer the WotF route rather than the First 13. I also think a combination of both might be fun, since we've done that in the recent, recent past.

Snapper
Shimiqua
WirelessLibrarian
Owasm

[This message has been edited by Owasm (edited August 02, 2011).]

[This message has been edited by Owasm (edited August 02, 2011).]

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Great! 4 so far with two others showing interest. How do you want to do this? Exchange scripts? Shimiqua and Owasm have already read mine (months ago), although I believe mine could use a bit of tweaking before I send it off.

Any ideas?

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Snapper
Shimiqua
WirelessLibrarian
Owasm
LDWriter2

Anayway, I have a story I was planning on entering anyway. It's just a bit over one thousand words but I have to slightly tweak a couple of sentences to make sure it fits the premise, so that will take it over a thousand a little more.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited August 03, 2011).]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WolfCreature
Member # 9486

- posted      Profile for WolfCreature   Email WolfCreature         Edit/Delete Post 
Snapper,

I know OTP's deadline. I should have been clearer. I was inquiring about the deadline for the critiquing group. Since you are organizing it, what is the deadline for the stories to be submitted to the group for critique? Also, are you going with the WotF route, or the trigger challenge, or both?

- WolfCreature

........../\,,,,,,,/\
..........’’\,,,,,,/’’
.........“””9,,,9“”"
.........“””\,, ,/”””
...........””(..)””
............V’’’’’’V
.............^,,,,^

Posts: 42 | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WolfCreature
Member # 9486

- posted      Profile for WolfCreature   Email WolfCreature         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, is this going to be anonymous like WotF? Would prefer that.

- WolfCreature

........../\,,,,,,,/\
..........’’\,,,,,,/’’
.........“””9,,,9“”"
.........“””\,, ,/”””
...........””(..)””
...........V’’’’’’V
............^,,,,^

Posts: 42 | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Good question. How much time would everyone like? Does everyone have one ready to go or do you need time?

The contests deadline is about 8 weeks from now. We'll need to give everyone time to read and critique all the stories (if we don't get much more than we have now we should be able to read them all), and time for everyone to absorb and make changes to their script.

How about a loose deadline of Aug. 21. If you're not done before that, no problem but guarantees that you'll get a critique from everyone won't be firm. Let's guarantee critiques for any submit before the loose deadline be done returned by Sept. 11th, plenty of time to fix your script.

As far as anonymous, that works for me. Everyone will know which one I wrote but that's okay with me. Fair game since I'll know who wrote and critiqued what. If we go this route, would you like me to post the opening 13's as I get them?

axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Out of curiosity, why would you go anon?
This is for a contest for another website.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

Because, there be prizes! Arrgh!
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
There's prizes for WotF too, but we help each other out.
Is it because there's a lot less entrants?

I'm just curious, not trying to be a stick in the mud.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

Actually, I don't see a reason to go anonymous in this. It's not really a contest amongst ourselves but a critiquing group.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Owasm

Is it talk like a pirate day already? Or are you related to pirates?

Anon? Arrg... to be or not to be that be the Ghost of Davy Jones question.

Actually, I can go either way but it would be less complicated to use our names.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KathiS
Member # 9542

- posted      Profile for KathiS   Email KathiS         Edit/Delete Post 
I may throw my hat in the ring...have to research a little first. Seems most of you already have something that would work. I need to start from scratch. (And I'm scratching my head now wondering why I'm considering this!) Oh, I know, it would be a good challenge for me because I don't think I've written a short story since college. I can't seem to fit a story into that few words. LOL First I will need an idea, form that into a plot, get a character, a situation.....

I'll make a final decision by the weekend.

Was the deadline of the 21st decided upon? And a format?

kls

BTW, I like pirates.

Posts: 65 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

The anonymous request is from wolfcreature. I know the rest of you have no problem with passing critiques back and forth but WC is still the new kid and easing his way in.

I'll go with the majority but do think WC's input would be a benefit to everyone. I cannot stress on how throrough his insights are.
He can be blunt with his opinions but I usually find I agree with him.

Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 
I almost passed by this thread with no intent of coming back. I don't write "Myths and Legends" stories. But, as it just so happens, I came across some handwritten notes for a potential story that just might fit the trigger. I won't throw my hat in until I've completed my WotF critique group responsibilities, but I think this particular contest might push my writing abilities in a direction they've not been before.

What have we decided about the possibility of posting the First 13 on the board?

BTW...my kids like asking me this question when their mother is in hearing distance: "Dad, what's your favorite letter?"

"'S'. It comes right after the letter Aaaarrrrrr!"

S!
S!

[This message has been edited by Crank (edited August 04, 2011).]

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

I almost passed by this thread with no intent of coming back. I don't write "Myths and Legends" stories. But, as it just so happens, I came across some handwritten notes for a potential story that just might fit the trigger. I won't throw my hat in until I've completed my WotF critique group responsibilities, but I think this particular contest might push my writing abilities in a direction they've not been before.

Pushing and stretching ourselves is part of the process.

Part of why this forum is here too. So I would say go for it, your story and results could very well surprise you. The story will probably be good at least.

Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
I have one that may or may not fit, so I'll give it a try.

Snapper
Shimiqua
WirelessLibrarian
Owasm
LDWriter2
Utahute72

[This message has been edited by Utahute72 (edited August 05, 2011).]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KathiS
Member # 9542

Oh, what the heck. Some characters and a situation popped into my head yesterday and I wrote several hundred words, just have to work the myth/legend theme into it. So...

Snapper
Shimiqua
WirelessLibrarian
Owasm
LDWriter2
Utahute72
KathiS

Posts: 65 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Maybe we should give everybody updates on where we stand.

Snapper - story is written but I need to do some editing. I also need to rewrite one scene. I could be ready to send it to everyone in a couple of days.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Mine is written also and as I have said I just need to tweak a line or two to make sure the premise can be seen. But I may also add a tiny bit to make sure it's over 1,000 words. I can probably add to a description and/or add a bit to the five senses I keep referencing in crits to other people.

So if I did it this weekend the story could be ready to send out by Monday- I have a couple of other things to tweak. If everyone else is ready by then that is.

wirelesslibrarian
Member # 9513

- posted      Profile for wirelesslibrarian   Email wirelesslibrarian         Edit/Delete Post 
Umm, I do NOT have a story ready, but I'll start writing this weekend. Should be able to send a draft out mid-week. So pushy.
Posts: 108 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

Mine is written, and Axe has read it, over a year ago, but it will need to be updated a bit.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KathiS
Member # 9542

I'm with Wireless. No story yet although I do have several hundred words and some idea where it's going. I'm not sure how to fit the myth & legend into it yet and that's my hang-up. Should have something ready by mid-week. (Fingers crossed, although it's hard to type that way.)

kls

snapper
Member # 7299

For those of you not ready, no need to rush it. Still plenty of time. I am worried that a sudden flood of stories to read and crit will discourage progress.

This is what I have in mind. Hopefully this will spur participation and inspiration. On a new thread, those who are ready can post their openings. Then on this thread (don't want the entry one to get muddled), others will post to the writer that they are ready to read it (and perhaps offer advice on the opening).

Does this plan sound workable?

KathiS
Member # 9542

quote:
This is what I have in mind. Hopefully this will spur participation and inspiration. On a new thread, those who are ready can post their openings. Then on this thread (don't want the entry one to get muddled), others will post to the writer that they are ready to read it (and perhaps offer advice on the opening).

Sounds good to me. If I keep with what I have I have the opening at least. Are we sticking to 13 lines for that?

kls

Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to join if it isn't too late. I was trying to sleep and a story idea came to me just now for this contest.

Snapper
Shimiqua
WirelessLibrarian
Owasm
LDWriter2
Utahute72
KathiS
Osiris

[This message has been edited by Osiris (edited August 08, 2011).]

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

Just finished my first draft today at 2500 words. Very unusual for me to bang out an entire story in a single day.
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Launching the group. Details can be found here.
snapper
Member # 7299

Ready for an exchange, Orsis? Let me buzz you.
Osiris
Member # 9196

Yes, sure thing snapper.
snapper
Member # 7299

Sent my story to you. Let me know if you got it or not.
snapper
Member # 7299

Send me yours, Owasm. You already read my submission before so you won't need to it again.
Owasm
Member # 8501

My story is ready for critting, but not submitting.
snapper
Member # 7299

UPDATE:

I have read, reviewed, and sent back Owasm's story. I have received Shimiqua's and will be reviewing it next. Osiris, I am still waiting for yours.

Send me yours LDWriter. I have an open weekend, a good time to hit me.

Osiris
Member # 9196

Hi Snapper,

I'm showing my sent box that I sent it to you on Wednesday. I responded directly to yours, and sent it in both RTF and DOCX format.

Can you check your inbox again and let me know if you didn't get it? Maybe it got shunted to junk mail?

Also, my backlog of crits is down to two. I have one more before I get to yours Snapper. Anyone else is welcome to exchange with me as well.

[This message has been edited by Osiris (edited August 12, 2011).]

snapper
Member # 7299

I checked, Osiris. Nothing. Inbox and spam has nothing from you, unless of course your the Sudanesse whose late father's brother's stole all his assests and you need my bank account # so you can send his holdings to me (for a generous 10% reward) and get your families good name and property back to its proper place.
If so I apologize for deleting it. Maybe you should resend it.

Osiris
Member # 9196

LOL. Okay I just resent it. Let me know if you don't get it.

[This message has been edited by Osiris (edited August 12, 2011).]

snapper
Member # 7299

UPDATE:

I have read and reviewed...

Owasm
Shimiqua
Osiris

Willing to read...

LDWriter
Utahute

Just send them away!

Owasm
Member # 8501

I'm also willing to read anything sent my way.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Oops, got a little behind with my reading here-out of town and all that. Therefore behind on sending my story out. I can do that tomorrow if everyone still has time and I can read anyone's who wants another crit.

snapper
Member # 7299

On OTP's facebook page they have reported 78 entries thus far, and there is still 6 weeks left before the deadline.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hmm, seventy-five doesn't seem a lot but as you said there are six more weeks.

My story is now readied, at about 1040 words. If those who said they would critique it still can. And I haven't received any stories to look over. Is everyone still busy with their stories or did I miss the rush?

snapper
Member # 7299

Send it to me, LDWriter.

Utahute72
Member # 9057

OK, now that I'm back and semi-caught up you guys can send stories my way. I've sent mine to both Snapper and OWASM.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Utahute72 you can send it to me.

And as I have hinted at earlier
anyone can send a story my way.

Mine will be going out later tonight.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Got Utahute72's.

Just wanted to say that my story had unusual inspiration.

Two of my wife's ceramic pieces. She had both displayed while working on them and this opening came to me as I stared at them.

Here is one piece. The other one doesn't seem to be displayed even though I'm sure we have a pic of it... (shoulder shrug)maybe I'll try posting it on google+.

http://tinyurl.com/3ofycok

I could probably come up with other story ideas; her laying, purpled maned unicorn looks inspirational.

snapper
Member # 7299

UPDATE:
I have read and reviewed...

Owasm
Shimiqua
Osiris
LDWriter
Utahute

...and other than that this thread has become silent. So what is going on with the rest of ya???

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.