Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WotF hangout for the cool crowd (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: WotF hangout for the cool crowd
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
My story isn't finished yet.I should have it finished this week, and out to you guys this weekend.

Hopefully.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm running my story through the other group before I send it to this one, as that'll help me get it down to the 8,000 word limit. I'll send it out to you all at the end of the month.
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't get my story out tonight to you all... for various reasons. One is on the Random Musings thread, and I played around a bit too much plus a couple of other reasons.

Hopefully tomorrow night but even so I think you all have enough stories to keep you busy for a day or three.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Blew it again, no story out yet to this group.
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
So do we have a final list for this group.

I have:

Snapper
Osiris
Jennifer Hicks
Shimiqua
Delli
Utahute72

Snapper's already read the first draft of one of mine that I may be able to whittle down to the 8000 length. I have a second that will come in under that, but less further along. I should have something to send out by the end of the month to this group.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I've only sent a copy of my story to one member of this group but I think I have received only two stories. Possibly three but that would be all.
Utahute72
Member # 9057

So far I've read and returned the two stories sent to me, one from Snapper and one from Delli. If anyone else sent me one let me know so I can look for it.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

I've come to my senses and realize I only have time to participate in one of the WoTF groups, so since this one demands less time from me, I've chosen it.

I've critiqued Jennifer's and will get to work on the rest soon.
I need to cut some words from mine and then I'll send it out.

[This message has been edited by Osiris (edited October 24, 2011).]

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it too late to enter the critique swaps?
Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Delli
Member # 9202

- posted      Profile for Delli   Email Delli         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm more than happy to swap with you Teraen.

I've received and critted stories from everyone except Utahute72 and LDWriter2 I think.

Thanks everyone for your feedback on my story - it's been awesome and very very helpful. [Smile]

Posts: 96 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

Ok, I know their is reciprocity in play here. Who do I send mine to, and who should send me one so that I may review theirs?

FYI - mine is short, <7000 words...

Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

Delli, I just shot you a copy.
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Teraen and LD can each send me theirs. I have critiqued and have been critiqued by everyone else on the list.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

Snapper - just sent you mine. Let me know if you want yet another critique on yours...
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

No results from the other group so maybe it came from this one even though this is suppose to be shorter stories.

I have a 12,000 plus story someone sent me and I can't figure out who sent it. I must have deleted the wrong E-mail again even though I don't recall doing any. But the story has some magic and is probably a medieval setting.

snapper
Member # 7299

Snapper
Osiris
Jennifer Hicks
Shimiqua
Delli
Utahute72
Teraen

I read and reviewed every persons story on this list. If you didn't receive my critique, let me know.

Anyone send theirs out yet?

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Delli
Member # 9202

I've sent mine... to Beneath Ceaseless Skies...

[Smile]

I decided to go with a completely different story for WotF. But I haven't sent my new one to WotF yet. All finished, just have to go over it one more time to check for typos etc. But I'm too tired tonight... *sigh*

Posts: 96 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Delli
Member # 9202

Let's do this thing!
Should I do this thing?
Should I look over it one last time?
Should I get someone else to look over it one last time?
Should I send it to another market before WotF because I have time?
Can you tell the virgin WotF submitter? I think I should just send it in and write some more stories. In fact, I have already started on another longer short. Hmmm. Anybody else submitting theirs yet? Submitting now makes the wait even longer though...

snapper
Member # 7299

Submitted it, and forget it. That's what I do.

Seriously, unless you feel your story has room for improvement, send it away, somewhere. It's teh only way it will get published.

Good luck!

Delli
Member # 9202

Submitted. [Smile]
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanna be a cool kid! I know I am late for the party, but I will swap with anyone that sends me their draft. I am also in the other group for those who already sent me theirs.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Okay, you can be a cool kid, but first you have to eat this worm.

Send it to me, BT.

Utahute72
Member # 9057

OK, if you've sent me a story from this group and I haven't sent it back let me know.
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
What color is the worm, Snapper? Check is in the mail.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Nothing yet. My mailbox is empty
snapper
Member # 7299

I have sent my submission on its way. Thank you to all who took their time to read and offer me their opinions and advice. All I can do now is cross my fingers.

Goo d luck to you all!

Teraen
Member # 8612

Rather off topic:

Snapper - Did you ever finish your story "Cold Blooded Killer?"

I critted that long ago, and I still remember it as an awesome story. Any chance you have an updated version I could read?

Your Fan,

Teraen

snapper
Member # 7299

Hey! I got a fan!

I'll send it to you but, other than the opening, nothing has changed.

BTW, "Cold Blooded Killers" was the title I gave it in my first draft. I've changed it a bunch of times since (not going to say what it is so I don't violate the WotF rules of revealing your work before it can be judged).

[ December 02, 2011, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: snapper ]

Utahute72
Member # 9057

You have more than one Snapper.
snapper
Member # 7299

Woo-Hoo! I have a fan club!
snapper
Member # 7299

Wake up!

Better get those entires finished. Who still has work to do? Who needs help?

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I've basically given up Q1 as a lost cause. I've been fighting off a writerly depression for most of the past couple of months and haven't done much. I'll send in a story -- mostly so I can keep my streak of consecutive entries going -- but I don't expect to get much out of it.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thomaskcarpenter
Member # 9192

- posted      Profile for thomaskcarpenter   Email thomaskcarpenter         Edit/Delete Post 
Fight that depression, Jennifer! And I'm glad you're sending in a story. Never miss a quarter. I think I recall that Brad won on a story he "just sent in" at the last second. Writers are the worst judges of their own work.

And in other news, if anyone needs a last second read on a story, I'll be happy to take a look. My Q1 story was sent in a while back so I've got time for reading. Though now I need to start thinking about Q2. Got a couple of story ideas brewing and as soon as I finish my latest novel, I'm going to have to whip them out.

And good luck everyone! [Smile]

Tom

Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying, Tom. [Smile] I have a good idea for Q2 and I'm almost done with the pre-writing legwork - the character profiles and world-building. I hope to get with the actual writing soon after Christmas.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

Yea, I'm still thrashing around with mine after Axe, Oswam, Teargen and LD tore it apart.
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Although I wasn't part of the cool crowd, I find I've exchanged with a few of the folks above, so I thought I'd chime in and say mine's almost done. I'm planning to hard-copy mail on my birthday. The 28th.

Of course, with KDW reading electronic entries first, then hard copies, and mine coming in the final days, I'll be the last to know my story's fate. But that's ok, I'd rather not find out a month from now...

Axe

[ December 19, 2011, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: axeminister ]

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

A while ago, I decided I wouldn't send the story I cycled through here because I thought it needed more work. Today, I submitted it anyway.

Jennifer, I'm battling the depression stuff too, but since last week, I actually feel like I'm winning that battle. I found that just sticking to 'the plan', submit, submit and no matter what I think of my story, submit, is incredibly liberating. Submitting gives hope. I think we (or at least I) tend to bind ourselves with our own rumination, and breaking those binds will get the creative juices flowing again.

You're a good writer, don't lose sight of that. [Smile]

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

quote:
Jennifer, I'm battling the depression stuff too, but since last week, I actually feel like I'm winning that battle. I found that just sticking to 'the plan', submit, submit and no matter what I think of my story, submit, is incredibly liberating. Submitting gives hope.
Thanks, Osiris. I'm submitting. As soon as I put my WotF entry in the mail today, I'll have five stories out. What I'm having a hard time with is writing new material. I've been having serious doubts about any talent I might possess and whether I'm wasting my time trying to "break in" to publishing. I'm not looking for affirmations by saying that, just explaining the reasons. There's nothing worse than thinking I'm on the verge of a breakthrough and then not breaking through.

Anyway, good luck to those who are entering in Q1. I hope we see a couple finalists -- and maybe, dare I say it, a winner? -- among us this time around.

snapper
Member # 7299

Eeh. We're the cool kids. We don't care, either way.
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

The line at the post office was damn scary, so the WotF submission will have to wait until tomorrow (along with my grandparents' Christmas gift). Yes, I'm doing it the old-fashion way this quarter. I'm with Axe in that I'd rather not get a reject e-mail on, say, Jan. 3.
thomaskcarpenter
Member # 9192

- posted      Profile for thomaskcarpenter   Email thomaskcarpenter         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JenniferHicks:
quote:
Jennifer, I'm battling the depression stuff too, but since last week, I actually feel like I'm winning that battle. I found that just sticking to 'the plan', submit, submit and no matter what I think of my story, submit, is incredibly liberating. Submitting gives hope.
Thanks, Osiris. I'm submitting. As soon as I put my WotF entry in the mail today, I'll have five stories out. What I'm having a hard time with is writing new material. I've been having serious doubts about any talent I might possess and whether I'm wasting my time trying to "break in" to publishing. I'm not looking for affirmations by saying that, just explaining the reasons. There's nothing worse than thinking I'm on the verge of a breakthrough and then not breaking through.

Anyway, good luck to those who are entering in Q1. I hope we see a couple finalists -- and maybe, dare I say it, a winner? -- among us this time around.

There is no "breaking through" as far as I've heard it from the pros I've talked to. Rather it's a long slow, inexorable climb to a career and the only way to fail is to give up. The way I see it, the only thing you need in this business is an indomitable will to keep going no matter what happens, no matter how many rejections you get, no matter how bad it feels and no matter what anyone says.

The cold, hard facts is that we're all good writers. Any one of us could win it. Any one of us could make a sale to a pro market. The problem is that there are thousands and thousands of writers just like us. The key is to last longer than the others and keep improving until they are forced to deal with our peculiar strain of genius. [Smile]

Have a happy holidays everyone and just keep swimming!

Tom

Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

quote:
There is no "breaking through" as far as I've heard it from the pros I've talked to. Rather it's a long slow, inexorable climb to a career and the only way to fail is to give up.
I get that. I'm not talking about some singular moment in which I will have arrived and a chorus of angels will sing halleluiah. My definition of a breakthrough at this point in my fledgling career is to make a SFWA-qualifying sale. Once that's accomplished, there will be another barrier to break through, and another one after that, and it keeps going and going. I'm taking it one barrier at a time, but this one is proving really tough.
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Jennifer.
To me, a pro sale will feel like I've made it.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hmm, I heard pros talk about when they reach a point where they start to sell and/or getting personal comments on a regular bases. By regular I don't mean every five stories they send out, it could be something like every twenty to fifty stories sell with a few personal comments mixed in there.

I would call that a break through. Of course you always have to keep pushing upward even if you sold a thousand stories and a hundred novels.

And I would also disagree that one hundred percent of us are good writers.

Utahute72
Member # 9057

Yea, I wouldn't put myself in the good writer category, more in the striving to be a good writer.

So what is a SFWA qualifying sale?

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

As to a SFWA qualifying sale. I'm not sure if that is a market that SFWA has approved of already or a certain set of characteristics. Like Pro pay and 5,000 copies sold.

I'm sure someone will say for sure soon.

axeminister
Member # 8991

SFWA recognizes magazines that have been open longer than a year, have 1000 or more subscribers, and pay $.05 a word or more. (paraphrasing, but I believe I'm correct.)

The newest is DSF. Here's their list, but it seems a little old...

http://www.sfwa.org/join-us/sfwa-membership-requirements/#pro

Axe

snapper
Member # 7299

Okay, checking to see...

1) If you've sent in your submission yet (hello - deadline)

2) If anyone would be interested in a WotF critique group for works of short submissions

3) If anyone wants to check out my tattoo. I got it for free from a guy in the back of a van. Pretty cool, huh? It's supposed to be a werewolf fighting a vampire. I can't see it, being on my back and all. How's it look?

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

1) I'm in, with low expectations.

2) My Q2 story is going to be on the longer side, I'm afraid.

3) Oh, is that what that is? Next time, you might want to explain to the tattoo artist the difference between a werewolf and Big Foot.

Delli
Member # 9202

1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) Ummm, snapper... You weren't cheating on the guy in the van were you?

P.S. Totally sorry for the crassness of the joke at #3...

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.