Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WotF Critique Group -- 2012 Q04 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: WotF Critique Group -- 2012 Q04
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure when I will be able to finish giving mine a final look over. My computer times has dropped significantly.

I may just send it tons of nitpicks and all.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

- posted      Profile for mrmeadors   Email mrmeadors         Edit/Delete Post 
Update: So people who are friends with me on Facebook know that last night I was practically suicidal over my story. After writing 13k words, and being at the end, suddenly I found that the story just was not what I wanted it to be. Not satisfying, not convincing, and just...not. Seriously broken. I was so very upset, and almost convinced that I would have to, YET AGAIN, throw in the towel. But I wouldn't let myself. I pushed and pushed, and this morning had the epiphany I needed to continue on and make the story work. IT's going to need a lot of work though (it's a complete rewrite). Would it be OK with you all if I sent my story late (which means it might go to second group late as well)? I am still reviewing everyone's stories on schedule. I just need more time for this one. I am not giving up!!
Posts: 223 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
More than fine by me. I'm still working on mine.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabirch
Member # 9832

- posted      Profile for rabirch   Email rabirch         Edit/Delete Post 
Question from a newbie to this group. When we send out the second drafts, are they going to the same readers as saw the first drafts, or do we re-shuffle?
Posts: 248 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

quote:
Originally posted by rabirch:
Question from a newbie to this group. When we send out the second drafts, are they going to the same readers as saw the first drafts, or do we re-shuffle?

You send it to a different group. Dan will let us know when it gets closer to that date.
Posts: 223 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabirch
Member # 9832

Okay, cool. Thanks for clarifying!
Posts: 248 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

MR remember the critters in your group might help with some of that.
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

LOL I don't think I would inflict this upon my poor critters [Wink] . If only stupid family vacation wasn't next week! Grrr.... (it's an IN-LAW vacation. I might be able to get a good horror story from it...)
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Off my story went. To Group two that is.
A Yeatts
Member # 9500

- posted      Profile for A Yeatts   Email A Yeatts         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so spastic this quarter! Agh... my stories are running roughshod away from me and I can't rein them in. I'll get something out soon. I swear.....
Posts: 207 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Last night I realized I have received one story for Q4 so it sounds like most of us are late this quarter. So you all are not alone.

I say us but my story has been sent.

And I came back to add that I am working on that story. It's a bit on the long side so will take a little bit longer for me to do.

But that's okay.

[ July 21, 2012, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: LDWriter2 ]

Owasm
Member # 8501

I'm very late, but I had a novel first draft to finish and this behemoth came in at 14K words.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I've sent out my crit for the one story I've received. Hopefully it was more helpful and more what was expected.
rabirch
Member # 9832

Just got my second draft done! I really appreciate how this group has gotten me to get myself in gear much earlier in the quarter than I usually do.
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

I should have people's crits out by the end of the week. Ugh. Hopefully I'll get back to writing my story soon.
mbwood
Member # 9525

- posted      Profile for mbwood   Email mbwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Melanie, I still owe you a crit from a while back. If you want another set of eyes - even late, I would only be too pleased...
mbwood

Posts: 216 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

OK great! I definitely should have this done in the two months I have left until the contest deadline, but for the purposes of this group, it's probably going to be a bit late. SO any eyes will be appreciated [Smile] .
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't feel bad Melanie, between weddings, babysitting and what not I'm just getting around to really working on this quarter's story.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

LOL glad I'm not the only one!! I can't even say I'm a slacker, because I can barely breathe for the amount of stuff I have to do. BUT, A Yeatts and Greenroom, you should both have received my crits by now [Smile] . Owasm, you're in the hot seat next!
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Received one more story. And three crits.

Time to start redoing mine.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Right there with you, Melanie. I haven't gotten to bed before 1:30am for the last 3 months, just trying to keep up with everything I have to do, let alone trying to diminish the pile. Although, I did get 3 more reviews done for EBR this week (pulled an all-nighter on Monday to do it), AND I got one of my two crits for this round finished last night (woo-hoo!), AND I got two more chapters of my buddy's YA novel critiqued as well. Give it time. It'll pass. It can't stay psycho for forever. : [Smile] Best of luck with YOUR list. And know that you're definitely not alone.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

Thanks Dan [Smile]
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I feel left out...I'm not as busy as a lot of you are, only reasons for me to get in bed late is that I'm too jazzed about what I'm writing at the moment and that has only happened for a only twenty or so minutes, a couple of times.

And I better get busy on my story, I have two days to get it ready for the second group. But I don't think too many people will mind if I'm a bit late this time around. I have another story I want to finish. It's going way long but it's almost done. [Smile] I say way long but it will be under 2,000 words. That is loong it was suppose to be a fun, simple story of around 200 words. Opps.

Now it might introduce a character for a novel.

Strycher
Member # 9821

- posted      Profile for Strycher   Email Strycher         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm going to have to drop out of the second group. I know that's bad form. It was idiotic of me to think I could finish a story this month. It's the busiest month of the year at both work and home.

I've got one more critique to turn in (soon! sorry!), but I won't have a story for swap until next month, and I'm afraid I don't have time to critique for the second group.

Thanks for letting me participate in the first group. Next year, I'll definitely sit out the Q4 critique group.

Posts: 35 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabirch
Member # 9832

I'm sorry to hear it, Strycher. You'll have something done for the quarter, though, if I'm reading your post right? That's the big thing.

Is there anybody else ready for second draft swap time? I think I've hammered my story as far as I can take it for this time around.

Boone
Member # 9776

- posted      Profile for Boone   Email Boone         Edit/Delete Post 
I finished my 1st round edits too.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I'm a day late, peoples. See my previous post... [Smile]

Anyhow, here's the swap routine for this round:

If you're listed in Group 1, send to Group 2.
If you're listed in Group 2, send to Group 3.
If you're listed in Group 3, send to Group 1.

And a re-post of the groups (minus Strycher), so y'all don't have to go searching for it.

Group 1:
WriterDan
mbwood
UtahUte72
rabirch

Group 2:
Boone
Brendan
LDWriter2

Group 3:
Owasm
Greenroom
A Yeatts
mrmeadors

Hope this is a good round for everyone!

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabirch
Member # 9832

Thanks much, WriterDan! Once again, I'll say how grateful I am for these deadlines. I work SO much better with deadlines. [Big Grin]
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Okay, I'm way behind with my revision.

I let myself get sidetracked with small and minis stories I wrote. One fifty word mini is for an On The Premises contest. Others were just for fun, anyway my plan is to work on the revision this weekend.

Oops, that reminds me I have to finish another revision so I can send the story to F&SF Saturday. And I have a story to send to Flash Fic. But that last won't take long.

I have received one story for round Two. Sounds intriguing from the opening----which is all I will say about it.

A Yeatts
Member # 9500

Whew. Done. Sent mine out to group 1. I've only received one story from group 2 to crit. Let me know if I somehow missed any or if you didn't receive mine.

This group is such a huge help. Thanks to all!
[Smile]

Posts: 207 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

Owasm I sent your round 1 crit out today, and Boone, I sent your 2nd round one.

I have no idea when I will have this story done--I found out a week and a half ago that I placed in a romance novel writing contest (I will find out 1st, 2nd or 3rd in October), and that means I have to finish that sucker by October. I am really tickled by this news, but it leaves me little time to work on my science fiction! But Brendan and Louis, don't hesitate to send me your stories when you are done--I will still critique!

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I am in the middle of revising my story.

Partially revised another story and sent it out for the first time, wrote a 50 word story and sent it, which means I slowed myself down on the revision but it is still moving on ahead--maybe not done by Sunday though.

Some good comments and my heart felt appreciation to the critiquers. Even though those side comments get a little confusing when the arrow points somewhere else. It's amazing what I missed. And one word I was asked if I wanted it that way or not. I remember I had it right once, I don't know when it got switched or why.

mrmeadors
Member # 6378

Send it whenever you are ready [Smile] . I'm open to last minute stuff too.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I finished the one story I received for the second round. It's the type of crit I don't like. The writing is good enough that it's hard for me to find something to say. I was able to give a handful of suggestions and found a couple of nitpicks. I still wonder how people do that.

The biggest problem was the cliche opening, which is all I will say here, but I suggested reading David's "Kick" about cliche openings.

That could be good for everyone here. You would have to scroll down a bit to find it but still it would be worth it.

http://www.davidfarland.net/writing_tips/

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Okay, I received another story for the second round. Finished the crit of the first story.

One confession, that type of story makes me a bit jealous. The writing was good enough that I almost reached the end of my knowledge. I made a few suggestions and spotted a couple of small places that could have been done better but there wasn't much I could say about most of it. I might be the only one here with this problem but it happens every so often. At times I wish I could write that well.

I'm working on mine. Cutting out more of that large scene that takes place in the second half of the story and I will probably cut the awards ceremony. I never did like it, so I think I will leave him at a certain point waiting.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Going out of town this weekend--wedding anniversary trip to the mountains. So there won't be any crits from me 'till next week. I think there's only one to go anyway.

And no story from me 'till maybe Tuesday.

Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I missed the signup for this group, but I just finished revised my 2011 HM story, cutting it down from 16k to 10k words. I plan to submit it for this quarter.

If anyone from this group would be interested in exchanging crits, just shoot me an e-mail.

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

You might try me but there's one story ahead of you I need to crit.

And my story to finish revising. I managed to cut 1,000 words from it. Some from sentences I tightened or did away with but most from cutting bits from some action that took half the story at least. I'm thinking of cutting even more.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

So far I'm not as far along with my story as I thought I would be. But I did start the crit for the last story I have received. Mostly done with it too. It might be longer than usual for me.

And I need to get a short story revised to send out to F&SF this weekend. Somewhere between 10 and 13 stories in a row there. I keep expecting Stephen to say something like enough--it's not helping. [Wink]

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I was going to work on my story tonight for ten or twenty minutes. But the first thing marked on one crit got my thinking about the opening. The rhythm seemed off. I changed sentences, rearranged others, deleted one or two all, in the opening. I have no idea if it really reads better. It does to me and it seems to follow what I have learned about openings but as I said I really don't know if it really is better, or if the old way was as bad as it seemed.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Okay finished all the revising, well need to go over it one more time to make sure everything is in order.

But I ended up changing so much that by the time I got to the third and fourth crits some of the advice I had received wasn't current anymore, I usually don't do that but in this story it needed it--I hope.

I may try to cut twenty or so words to make it officially under 9,000 words. That final Loong scene still is too long, I think, anyway.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Finished mine and sent it to group three. If the groups are still active, as I said in my note don't worry if someone dropped out or is too busy now, since it's late.

Part of the reason it's late is because of the restructuring I did and part because of all the nitpicks and bad writing that had to be fixed.

Group Two : sorry for all the extra work but you all did a good job and I appreciate it even if I cut some of what you critted out.

Owasm
Member # 8501

Submitted early. Thanks for all the help.
A Yeatts
Member # 9500

Done! Thanks to all! [Smile]
mbwood
Member # 9525

- posted      Profile for mbwood   Email mbwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, I just sent my entry in for this quarter.

I still haven't received all of the submissions from this group for critiquing. There's still time for you to send it out and get honest feedback...

mbwood

Posts: 216 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boone
Member # 9776

- posted      Profile for Boone   Email Boone         Edit/Delete Post 
I submitted mine. Thanks for all the feedback.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

It's sent. [Big Grin]

But I realized why I am so unsure of this story all of a sudden.

I've never done so much reconstructing on a story before. I set out for a trim and ended up with a complete shampoo-color, conditioning, cut and styling with hair extensions.

I'n afraid I created a Frankenstein monster even though in this case I haven't added any bits from other stories so it's more like a clay figure. I cut some off, added bits of new clay, scrapped more off, reformed some parts, added more clay, moved parts around. So I end up with something with three shades of clay and even though certain parts look more like they are suppose to I'm not really sure about how it fits together or the whole effect.

The forehead and horn of the unicorn--there's no unicorn in my story--look great, maybe even award winning but the flank and the tail, well I tried. You know what it's suppose to be but beyond that I can't say.

But on the good side, with the final go over I found few nitpicks, which may not mean much, and it seems to be mostly seamless, now. I found a couple of places that were not seamless but I fixed those.

But it is still my writing when all is said and done.

I changed the title when I decided to make it a whole new story.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not in the group, but I am submitted as of 15 minutes ago. I didn't even think of the idea for my story until about mid-September. I'm proud of how it turned out, but I'm not sure it's quite the right fit for WotF. We'll see what DW thinks in about three or four months.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabirch
Member # 9832

I finally stopped tinkering and pushed the submit button. PHEW!
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Good good you two.

And Boone, Owasm and a few others I missed.

We need to make a submitted list the First.

And I say thanks to those who critted mine. A lot of hard work there even though I'm glad to say the second version had a lot less comments on it then the first version.

Even though I must say that if it does get in you may not recognize parts of it. I explained a couple of how he was able to do something and I added some more danger to my MC and made a couple of points harder for him. David seems to like it when things do not come easy for your MC.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.