Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WotF Critique Group -- 2013 Q02 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: WotF Critique Group -- 2013 Q02
RyanB
Member # 10008

- posted      Profile for RyanB   Email RyanB         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it too late to join? I have a draft that's ready.
Posts: 222 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
@RyanB: Not at all. Feel free to send your story off immediately to Group 2. Be sure to (re-)read the first post of this thread to see what will be expected of you. Thanks for joining!

Group 1:
lizluka
Osiris
Phil
mbwood

Group2:
LDWriter2
AYeatts
Utahute72
RyanB

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I have received one story.

I was hoping mine would done this weekend but the revision and spell-proofreader check may not be finished until Monday. That depends on how much computer time I get.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Still working on mine

I redid the opening again. I hope I didn't mess it up bad but I have had all types of trouble with that opening. I think it's closer to what I first envision it to be. I had to modify that vision when I finally wrote it out when I wrote it originally. Now when I went back to add more of the five human senses to the opening--I had only sight--I also rearranged sentences so it is, as I said, closer to what it should be.

I also had to redo other sentences as I went along. I mentioned one character sooner, deleted a couple of points I never made use of and tried to cut a few of the He-s at the start of sentences. Not done yet. I played around too much and I had to do more work on this one to cut the stupid mistakes and unused stuff than usual for my stories. It better be one of my better stories when I get done.

Started the crit on the story I have received.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RyanB
Member # 10008

I sent my draft out to the three others. Haven't received any yet though.
Posts: 222 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I finished the crit and the revision of my story- hopefully it will go out Monday night.
RyanB
Member # 10008

Couple of questions. Is it better to submit paper or electronically? I read that semi-finalists get critiques. Do you only get these if you submit paper and a SASE to get it back? Is the main reason to send a SASE so you might get notes jotted down from the judge(s)?
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by RyanB:
Couple of questions. Is it better to submit paper or electronically? I read that semi-finalists get critiques. Do you only get these if you submit paper and a SASE to get it back? Is the main reason to send a SASE so you might get notes jotted down from the judge(s)?

I prefer electronic, and from what I understand, electronic subs get an answer faster. I am curious if they print out all the electronic subs before reading them, so that they evaluate both electronic and paper subs to make sure they are judging all of them the same.
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RyanB
Member # 10008

quote:
Originally posted by Osiris:
quote:
Originally posted by RyanB:

I prefer electronic, and from what I understand, electronic subs get an answer faster. I am curious if they print out all the electronic subs before reading them, so that they evaluate both electronic and paper subs to make sure they are judging all of them the same.
I read a comment (I think linked from the OP) that made me believe she reads electronic submissions electronically (something about author names in the filename).
mbwood
Member # 9525

- posted      Profile for mbwood   Email mbwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Group 1;
I've received and critted three submissions, sending them back to their authors, however, I've only got one crit back on my submission (Thank you, Liz)... If you haven't got your piece back, please let me know.

mbwood

Posts: 216 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
mbwood, I sent my crit to you on Jan 19. Perhaps it's been tagged as spam? Might have been shunted into that folder.

If it's not there, I'll re-send -- just e-mail me.

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

quote:
Originally posted by mbwood:
Hi, Group 1;
I've received and critted three submissions, sending them back to their authors, however, I've only got one crit back on my submission (Thank you, Liz)... If you haven't got your piece back, please let me know.

mbwood

Hi Malcolm and rest of Group 1,

I've received critiques from everyone Thank you all. I've critiqued one story, and am in the process of the critiquing the second. I plan to have finished both Liz's and Malcolm's no later than Sunday. I'm just juggling a lot of projects, but will get it back to you soon.

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mbwood
Member # 9525

Phil - I found it. Thanks, mbwood
Posts: 216 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I sent out the second story I revived--hopefully the got it.

And received three crits for my story real quick. Wow.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Only because I know if I wait until tomorrow to post this, I'll forget to do it. [Smile]

Group 1:
lizluka
Osiris
Phil
mbwood

Group2:
LDWriter2
AYeatts
Utahute72
RyanB

As before, for the second round of critiques (this one):

If you're listed in Group 1, send your story to those listed in Group 2;
If you're listed in Group 2, send your story to those listed in Group 1.

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
Thought that might be the case. Will be ready day after tomorrow. Sweltering in almost 40 degree C temps today and tomorrow -- and me out in the noon-day sun for, well, a long time.

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

My story is ready for Group 2, and I'm also ready to receive stories from Group 2.
A Yeatts
Member # 9500

- posted      Profile for A Yeatts   Email A Yeatts         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not quite finished yet but Group 1 feel free to send whenever you're ready.
Posts: 207 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mbwood
Member # 9525

Okay, I've sent my story off to Group 2 and am now ready to critique Group 2's stories.

mbwood

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Mine is going to be a bit late. I haven't started the second revision yet.

Hopefully this weekend.

lizluka
Member # 9916

- posted      Profile for lizluka   Email lizluka         Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone in Group 2, feel free to send yours my way whenever you're ready [Smile] I'll have mine out in the next day or two.
Posts: 81 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

Hellooo Group 2. Been a heck of a week and the weekend is looking just as bad. I may not be up to my usual speed in replying.

On that note, there appeared to be different expectations in what a critique meant in the first draft phase. For me, a critique is a broad-brush look at plot, structure, setting, character etc. An edit, on the other hand, is where I'd take a large axe to your manuscript and make holous-bolous changes and insert acerbic comments. But I wouldn't change your story.

So, to avoid confusion, you can have from me either a critique or an edit. I'm sorry I can't do both, they both require a different mindset in my case. (Obviously a male failing)

Anna, I received your story, which treatment do you want. A considered, big-picture evaluation or the Grumpy old guy chewing up your pencil? And I extend that to all contributors -- ask for one and be careful what you ask for. I don't bite, but I can nibble savagely.

Phil.

PS: I'm ready to get your ms, I'll be sending out mine tomorrow. And, as a pps, check your spam folder if you don't get anything either as a submission or a critique.

[ February 08, 2013, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Grumpy old guy ]

Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

A ppps, if there is even such a thing. I don't mind giving feedback and answering questions -- so don't be shy if I've said something you want to know more about.

Phil.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Okay, sent mine tonight.

And I have received three stories to crit. Hopefully the first one will go back by Monday.

Osiris
Member # 9196

For anyone waiting on a crit from me, I'll be sending them out this week, and thank you to those from Group 2 who have sent me crits already.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I sent one in and about three-fourths of the way finished with the second. Probably send that one out tomorrow night.

I haven't received any back but that is Okay, I have plenty of time and probably wouldn't work on it right now anyway. [Smile]

Make that received one.

[ February 12, 2013, 01:03 AM: Message edited by: LDWriter2 ]

lizluka
Member # 9916

- posted      Profile for lizluka   Email lizluka         Edit/Delete Post 
I've returned crits to everyone who sent me one--if anyone has sent me their story but not gotten a crit back, please let me know and I'll resend it:)
Posts: 81 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

LDWriter2, I haven't received your ms, yours neither Utahute72. And, sorry A Yeatts for not saying thank you for your crit sooner.

Phil.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I sent it Phil.

Unless I sent it to the wrong person.

But check your spam anyway.

Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

Louis, I've checked spam and trash -- you're not there, can you resend?

Phil.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I will probably Saturday.

Hmm, I may have forgotten, did you change your E-mail address without changing it here? A couple hatrackers did change addresses as I recall.

Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

No, I haven't. I got your critique though. Thanks for that.

Phil.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I resent the story and he got it evidently.

But I have one more story to crit for here. I think I'm doing it out of order of when I received it but it should be done by Wednesday or earlier.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I've done them all I think, if someone hasn't gotten a crit from me for a story you sent please say so.

Oh, looks like my Q2 is a dud.

Three out of six critiquers don't get it or think it's too involved. Usually when that many don't like it goes no where.

Of course they go no where even if people like them.

I'll still edit it and send it in.

Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

Well, it seems that life, the fates and circumstance have all conspired to ruin my day. I won't be submitting my story to WotF this quarter, maybe another go, next time. To all who've provided critiques and feedback: Thank-you so very much.

So many of the suggestions were useful in polishing the story and have even prompted some structural changes. I shall put Caitlin aside for a few months and let it 'mature'. When I get around to doing the re-write, I hope some of you may be interested enough to want to have a read.

Again, thanks for the help all of you have provided.

Phil.

RyanB
Member # 10008

Don't give up. You have until March 31st to submit.
Osiris
Member # 9196

I've critiqued three stories from group 2 (all the ones I received - if you are expecting a critique from me and haven't received it, let me know, as I probably missed the e-mail for your story), and received all my critiques. Thank you all for your comments and good luck to everyone!
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:
Originally posted by Grumpy old guy:
Well, it seems that life, the fates and circumstance have all conspired to ruin my day. I won't be submitting my story to WotF this quarter, maybe another go, next time. To all who've provided critiques and feedback: Thank-you so very much.

So many of the suggestions were useful in polishing the story and have even prompted some structural changes. I shall put Caitlin aside for a few months and let it 'mature'. When I get around to doing the re-write, I hope some of you may be interested enough to want to have a read.

Again, thanks for the help all of you have provided.

Phil.

I agree with Ryan even though it took me a while to get back tho this.

Your story is written after all and you have to the last day to mail it in or if you do it electronically you may have to 11 that night. I would say five to 12 but they sometimes cut it off early.

You know how much time you need to work on it but even if it's not quite polished as you want it to be try it anyway.

mbwood
Member # 9525

I decided that I couldn't improve my story any more, so, with its warts and pimples, I sent it in.

I believe I've critted all of the submissions sent to me. If you haven't, well, send it and I'll turn it around as fast as I can.

Good luck to all with their stories.

mbwood

RyanB
Member # 10008

This was my first time doing a Hatrack group and my first time submitting to WotF. I just wanted to say it's been a great experience so far. I received many helpful comments which I think have greatly improved my story.

I also read several great stories and I hope my comments helped their authors half as much as their comments helped me.

Thanks everyone and Good Luck!

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

My Q2 story was sent in tonight,

For those who have read it, I cut around 500 words, that is with a few I added. That was with help.

More people disliked than liked it by a good percentage. Which is probably not good but
THANKS a bunch you all.

A very hard story, the opening was a pain to get the way I wanted it and other sections were redone and/or moved. I quit working on it for a while but it's done and sent.

Osiris
Member # 9196

As usual, I am squeaking in at the last minute. This will be the first time I submitted a story I wasn't completely happy with, but here goes nothing.

Good luck all.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Yea.

The more stories the more we will have even more finalists and winners.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Been awhile since anyone has posted here, while we wait.

But I want to say that my birthday is toward the end of the month and it would be great to get a phone call from a certain Nice lady with a lovely voice between now and a day or two after.

According to the Quarter thinkers over at WotF forum it is possible that phone calls could go out between now and then.

Of course if I get one, that is another matter.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Rejections have started.
RyanB
Member # 10008

I noticed that Dave has been talking about reading entries in his kicks. I wonder how long it takes to sift through 1000+ entries?
RyanB
Member # 10008

BTW, Q2 was my first ever entry. I successfully put it out of my mind these last few months, but now that rejections have started I'm all nervous again.

Being my first entry, I had pretty much written it off as a loser. At this point I have no idea whether it was any good or not. But there's something about having your work judged in a high-stakes contest that's nerve wracking.

At least I have this quarter's story to think about.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Mine came in last night, instead of waiting for the last batch like usual.

On another forum I had mention how it would good to get a call from a certain lovely lady this week because of my birthday at the end of the week. But no birthday gift from David even if technically someone could say it would a gift from me to myself--and with a lot of rejections coming in at the moment, no gifts from any other editor either, not even a nice personal comment. Scott P over at F&SF would probably tell me to spend more time on the stories if he said anything.

[ June 19, 2013, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: LDWriter2 ]

A Yeatts
Member # 9500

- posted      Profile for A Yeatts   Email A Yeatts         Edit/Delete Post 
Honorable Mention. [Smile]
Posts: 207 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RyanB
Member # 10008

Congrats, AY!

I forgot to mention that I'm also excited to see how everyone else in group did. When last quarters' results were announced I knew a few of the names from around here. But I actually got to read your HM story and the others in the group (though not the final/submitted versions I guess).

So the results will be doubly or triply exciting this time.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.