Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WotF Critique Group -- 2013 Q02 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: WotF Critique Group -- 2013 Q02
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a critique group for writers that will be entering a story into the second quarter of 2013 in the Writers of the Future contest (30th year). Anyone is welcome to join, but please follow the directions below for doing such.

Currently, the group is empty.

If you want to join the group this quarter, please post the current members list in a reply to this post with your name added at the bottom.

Tentative deadlines for this quarter are as follows:

Dec 1st: Start writing
Jan 14th: First drafts out for crits
Feb 7th: Second drafts out for crits
Feb 28th: Mail in final drafts

[Note: The official entry deadline for this quarter is Mar 31st; however, this group's deadlines are set up so that all entries can be entered well before the deadline and hopefully beat the rush at the end of the quarter.]

When you send out drafts for critique, please do so in a generic format so that everyone will be able to open your file. (eg. rtf, txt, pdf. doc and docx [Microsoft Word] files are usually okay too, but you may get asked to resend in a generic format.) Also, please try keep to proper manuscript format so that we can all learn how these things should be correctly submitted. Last, we swap stories via email with addresses listed in the forum. So, be sure to keep your email address current on your profile here at Hatrack. The entire group of entrants this quarter will be split into smaller subgroups when it comes to critting. The subgroups should be in the realm of 4-7 people. So don't get too worried if the size of the whole group gets pretty big.

Also, a word about story limits. The officially published limitation for a Writers of the Future short-story submission is 17,000 words. There is, however, also a page-space limit that comes into play because of hard-copy publication issues. Thus there is an unpublished and fairly-hard limit of 68 pages of properly-formatted manuscript (check out the Vonda McIntyre link below). So when you're writing your entry, be sure to keep both of these story limits in mind.

Finally, (and I know that for some of you this will go without saying) if you sign up to swap stories and/or give critiques please give a full critique of the full story. Don't bail on a story just because it "isn't for you". If there is too much violence/profanity/sex in a story, you have the right to stop reading, make a comment saying so, and return the story to the author unfinished (this is what the Wotf judges will do, after all. Well, minus the comment.). Otherwise, please be respectful of the unspoken agreement that we each make to give a full, valid critique to every member of the group that submits a story. Also, try not to do too much re-writing in your crits. It gets tedious sometimes if there are more than just a few examples, and we're all pretty smart here. [Wink] Thanks.

Helpful links:

WotF Submission Guidelines
WotF Blog
Kathy Wentworth's comments about judging
Short story advice from David Wolverton
Axeminister's WotF critique helps
Manuscript Preparation by Vonda N. McIntyre

[ December 05, 2012, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: WriterDan ]

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
A show of hands for all those in favor of beating Dan with whiffle-ball bats for posting this in December?
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Raises hand.
Can we coat the bats with something smelly?

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
No idea what you're talking about, but I'm always ready for a good dust-up.

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lizluka
Member # 9916

- posted      Profile for lizluka   Email lizluka         Edit/Delete Post 
Well if Dan survives, then count me in for Q2;)

lizluka

Posts: 81 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Yeah, yeah. I know. Just keeping to the schedule... [Smile]

--Bruised&StinkyDan

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
Eternal slacker that I am, I come here from the previous quarter like a student asking his teacher for an extension on their homework. So count me in this time. I already have a story that will be on time for the first round of crits.

So, I'm assuming the list is as follows:

Phil
lizluka
Osiris

Not sure if Dan is in or not.

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Phil
lizluka
Osiris
Axeminister

I'm in unless I win.

I'm in.

p.s. if anyone is done before the deadline, you have my permission to just send to me. Assuming you're in my group. Which I'll assume of the first four names other than mine.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mbwood
Member # 9525

- posted      Profile for mbwood   Email mbwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I'm in.

Phil
lizluka
Osiris
Axeminister
mbwood

Posts: 216 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Phil
lizluka
Osiris
Axeminister
mbwood
LDWriter2

Mine is half way done or so, maybe I can finish it this time.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't even realise I'd committed myself to this, I don't even have an outline, let alone a clue. But, I'll give it a go and I do have a story in mind.

But, if I don't have anything that I'm ready to submit, I'm still happy to critique so keep me in the loop.

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

I'm one scene away from having this ready for crits. Is anyone else ready or almost ready?
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not, but you can send my way whenever.
I've got my first draft done but I want to do extensive work on it before sending.

I have 3 weeks. Eek!

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
I may just have found the ending for the story that was an HM winner under the previous judge. Some of you (mbwood, LDwriter2) have already read and critiqued it.

I'll throw my hat in the ring again:

Phil
lizluka
Osiris
Axeminister
mbwood
LDWriter2
Meredith

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Yeatts
Member # 9500

- posted      Profile for A Yeatts   Email A Yeatts         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in too. Send to me whenever. But I'm nowhere close to mine being ready.

Phil
lizluka
Osiris
Axeminister
mbwood
LDWriter2
Meredith
AYeatts

Posts: 207 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

Well, I've finished the first draft of my first short story. But, I've got a question: how short is too short? At the moment I've got 2900 words. I could stretch it longer, I suppose.

Phil.

Meredith
Member # 8368

I think WotF's minimum is 1000 words. My HM story was 3400, so I think you're fine.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabirch
Member # 9832

- posted      Profile for rabirch   Email rabirch         Edit/Delete Post 
My Q3 finalist was 2700 words. So no, 2900 is not too short.
Posts: 248 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Now is the time to decide which story to do.

The one I started and am about half way through even though I'm tempted to start it over again as I said before, or the one I just have an opening for and a vague idea of what it is about.

One is SF and the other probably is but not for sure, UF and/or paranormal.

Unless I decided to send in a pure fantasy story I am revising that is. I might be able to put in some more emotional angst and one or two more tries even though there might be enough of those. The only humans are in the background. It's longer than I set out to do--about 7,500 words--so it could work. Of course shorter stories can work too but this one seems about right.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Pardon me for adding this here but someone, maybe more than one, has mentioned wanting the WotF anthologies.
Try seven for $39.95 for the rest of the month.
At the Galaxy Press web site here at the bottom of the page.

Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

Having just formatted my MS as outlined in the link above, I went to the WotF rules and saw this.
quote:
Entries submitted electronically must be double-spaced and must include the title and page number on each page, but not the author's name. Electronic submissions will separately include the author's legal name, pen name if applicable, address, telephone number, email address and approximate word count.
Do they mean on a separate cover page, or in the body of the e-mail?

Phil.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Neither.

When you sign onto their submission page there is a section to fill all that out. Then you click on the attach button to attach your story. Or is it "story here" button? Egads, I forget the exact wording but it's easy to figure out. You have to click on various I did this or that buttons too. Like read the rules, No name on the manuscript and such.

You have to do an E-mail address and come up with a password before you get to that page. You can use that password to keep track of your story but I've never done that.

If by chance my memory is playing tricks on me since I've sent six different E-submit stories in the last week, someone will correct me.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hey, you have your Q2 story already?? ??
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

Yes, LDWriter2. Finished the first draft over the weekend. It's not all that long, about 2900 words but I like it. I'm going to let it sit for a week or so before I look at it again.

How are you doing?

Phil.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Just noticed that I should of put in "finished already, already" [Big Grin]

But I'm still trying decide which story to send in. I think I will work on the one I got half way done last quarter but if for some reason I don't get it ready in time--such as working on two novels to get them ready for publishing--I will hold one I just finished in reserve.

Which means I need to get working on that story again or start it over again because it seems beyond what I usually do and if I start over maybe I can shake that feeling. Not sure why I feel that way though. It is different than what I usually do--I tried for half cyberpunk but probably just put in a tiny bit if that and it's a different area of SF for me--but that shouldn't be enough to give me that feeling...maybe I feel I can't do the story in my head justice. Which is why I should do it but as I said we will see.

[ December 24, 2012, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: LDWriter2 ]

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Merry Christmas, everybody!
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
I decided to pull the plug on this quarter, so I'll just roll that story over to the upcoming one, so I'm in.

Phil
lizluka
Osiris
Axeminister
mbwood
LDWriter2
Utahute72

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

quote:
Originally posted by LDWriter2:
Neither.

When you sign onto their submission page there is a section to fill all that out. Then you click on the attach button to attach your story. Or is it "story here" button? Egads, I forget the exact wording but it's easy to figure out. You have to click on various I did this or that buttons too. Like read the rules, No name on the manuscript and such.

You have to do an E-mail address and come up with a password before you get to that page. You can use that password to keep track of your story but I've never done that.

If by chance my memory is playing tricks on me since I've sent six different E-submit stories in the last week, someone will correct me.

LD is correct. Your cover sheet will include all the information, so just have your manuscript page numbered and titled.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

Looks like Meredith fell off the list accidentally, just posting this to re-add her so the error doesn't propagate forward:

Phil
lizluka
Osiris
Axeminister
mbwood
LDWriter2
Meredith
Utahute72

axeminister
Member # 8991

Sadly, I'm going to have to remove myself from the list. My job/work has exploded and to be honest, I'm not sure I'm going to have enough time to write my story let alone critique others. [Frown]

Phil
lizluka
Osiris
mbwood
LDWriter2
Meredith
Utahute72

Meredith
Member # 8368

It also looks like AYeatts got dropped, too.

Phil
lizluka
Osiris
mbwood
LDWriter2
Meredith
AYeatts
Utahute72

A Yeatts
Member # 9500

Thanks for popping me back on, Meredith! I didn't think my stories were that painful to crit... ;P

I'm still in. Second half of the list feel free to send when ever you're ready.

Posts: 207 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

Why am I at the top? I didn't start this, did I?

I just checked, I was third to open my stupid mouth and stick a size nine boot in it. Hmm.

lizluka
Osiris
Phil
mbwood
LDWriter2
Meredith
AYeatts
Utahute72

I copy, I paste, I delete, I make a little space for myself, and now I feel all cosy and warm in among the pack.

Phil.

Utahute72
Member # 9057

Sorry A, it was probably me. Poor typing skills.
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

Jan 14 is closing in on us fast. Who's ready, or nearly ready to go? I am.

I know it needs work, but I'm letting it percolate at the moment. Also, it gives me some emotional distance for when it gets the #$@%& ripped out of it.

Phil.

Meredith
Member # 8368

I know mine needs another pass. And I'm still not happy with the ending.
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

Meredith, who ever is. I've had the worst case of angst over my last line for two weeks so far. And I'm still not happy with it.

Phil.

Osiris
Member # 9196

quote:
Originally posted by Grumpy old guy:
Jan 14 is closing in on us fast. Who's ready, or nearly ready to go? I am.

I know it needs work, but I'm letting it percolate at the moment. Also, it gives me some emotional distance for when it gets the #$@%& ripped out of it.

Phil.

I've been ready for a while. Just waiting to see who I'll be sending it to.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I'm almost done. But I still need to go back over it, not only to find nitpicks and such but I added a new character halfway through that I need to introduce earlier.

Not sure if I will be done on time. Last quarter I was really late, I got only one set of crits but I returned some too.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Still almost done but I'm closer. I could very well finish it by Sunday night.

I have the bad feeling hunch that I'm putting too much in it. More like stuff for a novel. It's already longer than I expected. But it could be okay, if it's a novelette but it may not be quite that long. But it's a big concept so a longer story might be more appropriate, we shall see.

And I may have Q3 written already.

Meredith
Member # 8368

Sorry. With what just landed on my desk, I think I'm going to have to bow out for this quarter and try again next time.

lizluka
Osiris
Phil
mbwood
LDWriter2
AYeatts
Utahute72

Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

Sorry to hear that Meredith. Look forward to next quarter.

Phil.

Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

Well, according to my watch it is 5:44PM on Monday the 14th of January 2013.

Anyone who wants Gog (and no, that was not the deliberate intent when I made up the handle) to savage their 1st draft MS, feel free to send it. I'll do it in the nicest possible way -- heh, heh, heh (maniacal chuckle).

Phil.

Osiris
Member # 9196

I'm just waiting for WriterDan to break us up into two groups. *hint hint* [Smile]
A Yeatts
Member # 9500

I'm guessing here so correct me if wrong:

Group 1:
lizluka
Osiris
Phil
mbwood

Group2:
LDWriter2
AYeatts
Utahute72

I'll get mine out today to Group 2. Feel free to send to me anytime.

A Yeatts
Member # 9500

But I bow to the whim of WriterDan if I've overstepped or somehow discombobulated the process! [Smile]
lizluka
Member # 9916

- posted      Profile for lizluka   Email lizluka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm doing a last-minute switch on my Q2 plans and using a different story. It should be finished today or tomorrow, then I'll get it out! In the meantime, feel free to send stories my way if you're ready Group 1 [Smile]
Posts: 81 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

Yeah, and I thought I was so ready. I just realised yesterday that I have to 'explain' where my MC got certain information he just casually drops on people. So, now I'm trying to 'brief' him without letting the cat out of the bag for the reader.

Yes, I AM being deliberately manipulative. I'm doing it because I can.

Exit stage left: Laughing hysterically.

Phil.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

That's fine, Anna. I don't mind a little help every now and then.

Here's a re-list for officiality's sake. (Yes, that's a word. It's in the Book of Dan.)

Group 1:
lizluka
Osiris
Phil
mbwood

Group2:
LDWriter2
AYeatts
Utahute72

Send your story to everyone in your group. If we have someone want to jump in (there's a very slim chance that this will be me...very slim but present), they'll be going to Group 2.

Best of luck this time around, everyone.

Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

Umm, err. . . well, give me another day -- please. I'm willing to accept, but I want to get a short scene finished before I send out my missive.

Phil.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.