Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Memorable moments in literature

Author Topic: Memorable moments in literature
Ico
Member # 3303

- posted      Profile for Ico   Email Ico         Edit/Delete Post 
Are there any scenes or chapters that really stick in your mind, even years after you've read a book? Scenes that still send a shiver down your spine when you think about them?

I can think of one off the top of my head. The "Snowden" chapter of Catch 22. Throughout the whole novel, there are references to Snowden and some event that happened to traumatize Yossarian, but it keeps getting put off, never fully explained... Then finally comes the chapter containing that painful flashback. I thought it was tremendously powerful. Almost all the details of that book are gone from my mind, I read it so long ago... but I still remember quite clearly the profound effect that the Snowden chapter had on me.

What scenes really stick in your mind?

Posts: 39 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
The ending to "In Dubious Battle" the entire "Grapes of Wrath" and anything by Lovecraft all stick with me.
Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
When the kids kill the pig in "Lord of the Flies."
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
When Covenant says the name of the sand gorgon in "The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant". Great Scene!
Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
OHHHHH!
I gotta second SMAUG here.

What a scene.

That one has stuck with me too.

What a scene.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ico
Member # 3303

- posted      Profile for Ico   Email Ico         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember that pig scene from "Lord of the Flies" but the others I've never read.

That scene was disturbing... and so was the scene in which Piggy (that was his name, right? The fat one with glasses) got killed.

Posts: 39 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 

The end of "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge". The accountant of the first attack in "Jaws". The last line in "A City of Churches". The end of "The Lottery". The last scene in "To Light a Fire" though not scifi or horror, really has a wallop. "The Raft" had some memorable scenes. Then there is the usual array of great scifi/horror with great scenes: "Coma" - "The Exorcist" - "Pet Semetary".

[This message has been edited by nitewriter (edited March 22, 2006).]

Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aalanya
Member # 3263

- posted      Profile for Aalanya   Email Aalanya         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a great scene in Mary Stewart's The Hollow Hills that I remember very vividly after several years. I don't want to give details though in case you guys haven't read it. (Her Merlin stories are really incredible. If you haven't read them, you really really should.) For those who have read it, it's the scene between Merlin and Arthur where Merlin reveals Arthur's parentage after Arthur has just "been" with his sister.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmilyAsAlways
Member # 3323

- posted      Profile for EmilyAsAlways   Email EmilyAsAlways         Edit/Delete Post 
The entire last chapter of A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, by Dave Eggers.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.