Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Keeping it Real

Author Topic: Keeping it Real
Zoot
Member # 3176

- posted      Profile for Zoot   Email Zoot         Edit/Delete Post 
I've just finished reading Keeping It Real by Justina Robson and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The book is set in the near future and starts by explaining that a quantum bomb has torn the fabric that seperates the dimensions, throwing the people of Earth into an uneasy co-existense with Elves, Demons, and Elementals.

The story centres around a cybernetic agent assigned to protect an Elven Rock Star.

Just wondered if anyone else here has read it? And if so what they thought of it?

[This message has been edited by Zoot (edited July 17, 2006).]

Posts: 86 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Zoot,

No I haven't read it. It sounds a bit too Shadowrun® for my taste.

Did you enjoy it? Do you recommend it?

PS: I applied for a lounge lizard job once but failed the physical.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited July 20, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zoot
Member # 3176

- posted      Profile for Zoot   Email Zoot         Edit/Delete Post 

Yep, definitely recommend it. If for nothing more than reading about Elves with attitude. Imagine LOTR without the prancing in the woods.

You don't apply to be a lounge lizard, you either are by default or not at all

[This message has been edited by Zoot (edited July 21, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Zoot (edited July 21, 2006).]

Posts: 86 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thexmedic
Member # 2844

- posted      Profile for thexmedic   Email thexmedic         Edit/Delete Post 
Though I haven't read her stuff, I'm pretty sure Justina Robson falls under the New Weird movement.

As far as I'm concerned it's the best thing to happen to speculative fiction since William Gibson. For more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Weird

Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.