Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » From the Corner of His Eye

Author Topic: From the Corner of His Eye
joelman42
Member # 5226

- posted      Profile for joelman42   Email joelman42         Edit/Delete Post 
Have any of you read "From the Corner of His Eye" by Dean Koontz? I love the way he opens it. Here are the first 13 lines:

Bartholomew Lampion was blinded at the age of three, when surgeons reluctantly removed his eyes to save him from a fast-spreading cancer; but although eyeless, Barty regained his sight when he was thirteen. This sudden ascent from a decade of darkness into the glory of light was not brought about by the hands of a holy healer. No celestial trumpets announced the restoration of his vision, just as none had announced his birth. A roller coaster had something to do with his recovery, as did a seagull. And you can't discount the importance of Barty's profound desire to make his mother proud of him before her second death. The first time she died was the day Barty was born. January 6, 1965.

By this point, I was like, "Ok, WHAT? Back up." But he doesn't. You don't figure out what he's talking about until the very end of the book, when the story arc comes all the way around. It's an excellent book.

Posts: 15 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verloren
Member # 3916

- posted      Profile for Verloren   Email Verloren         Edit/Delete Post 
While I did think the opening was interesting and I was glad he came out and said what was happening (in other books of his I have read, he tries to create suspense by withholding crucial information), I found the book quite formulaic and trite.

I guessed everything that was going to happen long before it did.

And the ending was just too "neat" for my taste.

I did like how he talked about other dimensions and stuff, and I was glad there were not any super-intelligent dogs.

Of course, this is just my opinion. I have liked other books he has written (even ones with super-intelligent dogs).

-V

Posts: 99 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joelman42
Member # 5226

- posted      Profile for joelman42   Email joelman42         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the book for the most part. My biggest complaint was the villain - he was despicable, but he was also kind of pathetic.

Oh, yes, the super-intelligent dogs are always fun.

Which other books of his did you like?

Posts: 15 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
The Bad Place is one of my favorites by Koontz.

Nothing like four testicled aryans named Candy to creep me out...

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked The Bad Place too. Coldfire was excellent, too.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
the opening sounds like a prayer for owen meany, by the world according to garp guy. Do you think superintelligent dogs pan books about superintelligent humans?
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.