Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Harry Potter Prediction Thread (Spoilers through book 6) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Harry Potter Prediction Thread (Spoilers through book 6)
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Darkstorm, I would generally agree about the movies but they cut the entire Neville subplot out. If he was likely to save the day in book VII, I think they'd need to keep some of the foreshadowing in the movie. Also, he's very good and very loyal. I suspect he could kill (and not just Bella) to protect his friends. He was giving (nearly) as good as he got in the wand fight in Order.

I don't think she'll kill Snape because that's too obvious. But we might lose Hagrid. After all after the mighty 3 (Harry, Ron and Hermine) what other loss would yank tears?

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
The movies have been lacking a lot in characterization, especially of minor characters. The books give me a strong sense that Neville has an important part to play and the movies will just have to play catchup or decide to ignore his part when it comes.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Neville's part has been pretty clearly foreshadowed: he's going to bring the pain to Bellatrix and possibly other infamous death eaters, living up to his father's reputation and making his granny proud.
Neville and Hermione are the two characters most likely to kill someone (especially if my death prediction about Ron is right).

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
I have nothing much to add, except I'm in the (possibly crazy) camp that there is a lot more to Snape than meets the eye, and that despite his apparent dislike of Harry/Harry's father, he'll come down firmly on the good side before it's done.
Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Snape is evil, either. I think he is actually reformed and trying hard to be good, but was caught in a horrible situation by the promise. I think he will probably die to save Harry and redeem the horrible thing he was forced to do. But Dumbledore wanted him to preserve his "cover" and the only way he could do that was to make the promise, regardless of what the consequences turned out to be. Like the I, Robot conundrum. If you make a promise, not knowing what you are promising, are you bad or good for keeping the promise when it does harm later?
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
So, since the next and last Harry Potter book comes out Saturday, I should post my theories here so I can be held to them once the book is out. This gives me bragging rights if I'm correct, or makes it public record that I was wrong.

Who dies:
Voldemort (duh)
Snape (whether he's good or bad, he killed Dumbledore. I don't think others will forgive him and I don't think he would forgive himself-assuming it was on Dumbledore's orders)
Neville (he's gotten wreckless in his desire to avenge his parents. I think he's willing to die to finish it)
Bellatrix (along with most if not all of the death eaters)
Mr. Weasley
Hagrid (because all of Harry's mentors/protectors have to die so he has to face it alone)

Reprieves:
Harry (He's the boy that lived. I'm sorry, I just think he'll make it)
Ginny (Whether Harry lives or dies she lives. If Harry lives, he's gotta have his hot red-head at his side. If he dies, someone has to carry the torch for him)
Lupin and Tonks (Before they hooked up, Lupin may have died. Now he has to live because them as a couple is just too cool)

Plot points:
Snape is a vampire. There's been a reference in each novel. I just hope she comes out and says it.

Everyone you think is dead really is (Dumbledore, Sirius, Cedric)
Harry is not a horcrux.

Ginny will ignore Harry's wishes and accompany him on his quest to find the Horcruxes.

The final battle will happen at Hogwarts. For one, the books just have to have Hogwarts in them. And two, it was the only real home for both Harry and Voldemort. It's important to both of them.

Kreacher and Graup will be very important in some way. The OOTP movie wouldn't have spent so much time with them if they weren't important. In fact, Rowling said there was one character in particular that was originally cut from the movie. She said they should put this character back or the seventh movie wouldn't make any sense.

It will be Neville that kills Bellatrix.

Draco will redeem himself, at least in some measure.

Harry won't get anything out of Dumbledore's picture. The pictures only have the personality of the person, not hidden information.

Dumbledore isn't a ghost, he was never afraid of death.

Snape made an unbreakable vow to protect Harry. If it was Dumbledore that made the vow with him, I don't know if the vow holds after his death.

When Dumbledore said "Please, Severus" right before Snape killed him, he wasn't begging for his own life, he didn't want Snape to turn traitor. And I think he very much wanted to stay alive to protect Harry. While he spent much of Book 6 preparing Harry to go it alone, I think he still wanted to stand by Harry's side. As he said at the end of Book 5, he never wanted Harry to have to face Voldemort.

There will be many martyrs on the good side. I think several minor characters will go (such as some of the professors at Hogwarts). Several of the Order will go, possibly Mad-Eye. More of the Weasley's could die, but I'll keep my prediction that it will be Mr. Weasley.

Hermione will spend a lot of time tutoring Harry, since he sucks at Occlumency and nonverbal spells.

Wild Theory:
Just came up with it, probably way out of the universe, but I'll put it here anyway. Harry won't be able to kill Voldemort. Snape will come along (maybe because he has an unbreakable vow to protect Harry) and kill Voldemort for him. Then Snape and Harry will have to duel. If this is the case, Harry will have to get better at occlumency and nonverbal spells.

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
The great thing about the book coming out in 3 days, 8 hours, 51 minutes is that all the debate will be over. We'll have the answers, then we can be happy/upset at the outcome. I don't pretend to know the ending, but I do know I'll cry. I bawled at the end of Book 6. I'll bawl again, and I'm only slightly ashamed to say so.
Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Snape is NOT a vampire...Rowling has come out and said as much. Here's a quote from an interview she gave to Muggle Net:

"JKR: No, I see that, and yeah, I follow your line there. I can't - I mean, obviously, there are lines of speculation I don't want to shut down. Generally speaking, I shut down those lines of speculation that are plain unprofitable. Even with the shippers. God bless them, but they had a lot of fun with it. It's when people get really off the wall - it's when people devote hours of their time to proving that Snape is a vampire that I feel it's time to step in, because there's really nothing in the canon that supports that."

Here's the link, so you can see the context: http://www.mugglenet.com/jkrinterview2.shtml

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

I must have missed that. I still like the theory

Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
Can Dumbledore understand Parseltongue? If he can, does that mean he's a Parselmouth, or just that he spent a lot of time learning the language?

Remember when he showed Harry the memories that involved people speaking Parseltongue (in book 6), he didn't ask Harry what they were saying. He behaved as if he already knew.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
As a habit I never re-read books. But I was skimming through select parts of book 6 and I decided that I have been giving Rowling way too much intellectual credit. That isn't to say she isn't positively brilliant. But the depth of the magical world and the exact science of what is going to happen and how it is going to resolve, I think, is a lot more simple than we've all been expecting.

1. Snape kills Dumbledore: There seems to be a lot of mystery behind this topic. And in my discussions with friends a popular theory is that "it was part of Dumbledore's plan" and others think "Snape is evil." But I think the answer is quite plain. (IMHO) Snape was under the unbreakable vow, which he'd vowed to finish Draco's task should it "appear" that he would fail. I think Snape isn't evil and that he told Dumbledore he was under such a vow. Hence when Snape hesitates to kill Dumbledore, Dumbledore begs "pleads" him to fulfill the vow in order to spare Snape's life. Snape complies and now we'll have an Order of the Phoenix (in book 7) that is going to have it out for Snape even though he's going to be helping their cause anyway.

I base this theory on such passages as "but he won't succeed...how can he, when the dark lord himself--" (describing Malfoy's task.)

and of course ("will you carry out the deed that the Dark Lord has ordered Draco to perform?"---"I will.")

The obvious "deed" would be "to kill Dumbledore," which fits the facts at hand, and the events in the story. Not to mention that Narcissa is bent that the deed is impossible. Attacking Dumbledore would fit the bill. However, there is a lot of thinking that his deed is unclear. It is possible his task was only to get the Death Eaters into Hogwarts, but that's the only other task I could think of that he performs (or attempts to perform) in the book. It could be something else that is unrevealed, but I think Snape's killing of Dumbledore is directly ties to the unbreakable vow he took at the beginning of the book. I think that's why the passage is there.

Snape has been my favorite character since the beginning of the first book, and I think he's unquestionably the most interesting. And I think all of his behavior can be explained. This is Snape as I see him. I think (Past Snape) was a talented young wizard (as proved in the Halfblood Prince) but was sort of an outcast. (Kind of like how a lot of young geniuses have difficulty in social situations especially when they're young) and that he was picked on by his bullies (James Potter and gang), and that drives his hate for the Potter family.

But I think he had feelings for Lily, and it probably crushed him to see her marry James. And since the world hated him first (as he was bound to see it) it was easy to join the antithesis, the death eaters, brash and probably not fully aware of what he was getting into. Just that it was something he could support, something that was against everything, Hogwarts and James most especially. (who had been cruel to him.) And I think Dumbledore (at Hogwarts at the time) was aware of this. And I think he always understood Snape's motivations. Then when Voldemort killed Lily Snape came to a realization and his secret feelings for her resurfaced. With those feelings feelings returning, a new sense of betrayal from the Dark Lord, and the disappearance of the Dark Lord he saw the fight was over.

At this point he switches back to the "good" side , partially to protect himself, but mostly because of the death of Lily and his sudden-mature realization of what he was actually supporting. Dumbledore knew this, and that is why he trusted Snape, because he understood him. Snape then served faithfully even when he killed Dumbledore it was, to some extent, on DUmbledore's orders. [in my view] So we have this cleverly developed former villain protagonist that Harry Potter and the "good guys" are certain to fight against in the final book, but Snape will reveal himself and be vital to stopping Voldemort. But I think Snape will die, and his death will seal his loyalty to Dumbledore.

In any case I'm pumped to get my book in the very near future. I just have to duck all the spoilers that are floating around.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited July 19, 2007).]

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
The wikipedia entry on Deathly Hallows has some very good stuff, though I'd check it with caution now that there are spoilers about and anyone can edit. There weren't any when I looked last night. It has a section on things that can be culled from J.K. Rowling's statements about the plot. Points that struck me:

She talks about Harry having his mother's eyes a lot and how Dumbledore was afraid to look in them.

In the middle of the night I woke up thinking Crookshanks was Harry's mother, but Crookshanks is male, so that's slightly less likely. But maybe part of the killing curse rebounding caused a horcrux of Harry's mother to be formed.

I mean, I realize what people are saying about Horcruxes being hard to make, but it seems pretty prevalent that Voldemort created a Horcrux when he failed to kill Harry. You also must take into consideration that Voldemort had made a number of Horcuxes by this point, so it may not have been as difficult for him as at first.

Killing may rip the soul, but wounds can heal if tended too. Or they can become piercings if someone encourages them in that direction. So I have never meant to say that all killing results in horcruxes or anything like that. I'm just saying that if this were about regular people in our world, a boy like Malfoy wouldn't not have spent a whole book failing to kill Dumbledore. Why not? I'd imagine being a wizard involves a certain degree of discipline and, for what of a better word, "spirituality". Where we have intellect and physical aptitudes, they have spiritual aptitudes. That's why I think killing is different for them. Otherwise one can end up like the kid in Card's "Eye for an Eye", killing people willy nilly.

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
On the topic of Neville and his "parts" being left out in the movies, hasn't anyone noticed that in the last two movies they used Neville to do stuff that Dobby did, so that they could leave Dobby out of the last two movies?

Dobby was the one who gave Harry the gillyweed in book 4, but they had Neville give it to him in movie 4.

Dobby was the one who told Harry about the Room of Requirement in book 5, but they had Neville discover the room on his own in movie 5.

So while the prophecy stuff about Neville was left out of the movies, they have not made Neville unimportant.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.