Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Hearts in Atlantis

Author Topic: Hearts in Atlantis
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been listening to Hearts in Atlantis by Stephen King on audiobook. I just got half way through it, and suddenly there is a new story in first person with a considerably more prominent use of the "f-word".

Has anyone read this book? If so, will this make sense at some point?

Please don't give anything away, but I just want to know this second half is going somewhere.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a collection. A few shorts and a novella, I think. They're loosely tied together, but...I wasn't thrilled with it. Though not because of the f-bombs. Just didn't think it was all that great.
Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not offended by the word per se, but I often find it distracting if overused. The switch from third to first was what really threw me off.

I guess the novella is the first half - might as well finish it all the way through.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
If I recall correctly, they do tie together, at least enough so they could get a movie about it. I'm an unabashed King fan, and this is the one book of his I never finished. Happened to hit a distraction right at the break between segments and never got back into it for the latter half.
Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.