Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » How to Train Your Dragon

Author Topic: How to Train Your Dragon
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Two weeks ago this movie came out on DVD. I remember when it hit the theatres and thought it nothing more than another cute family movie. We rented it out of curiosity (I've always had a thing for dragons that aren't the bad guys.), and it blew me out of the water.

I promptly bought and watched it again last week, and again last night. The film hits on some serious and life threatening situations and how communication can break down between a child and a parent. It also closely parallels horse training techniques so popular today... study the animal's habits and natural instincts and then use them to your advantage to comminicate better what you want that animal to do.

I thought the title was misleading and the movie was about a school to teach kids to ride dragons. Boy, was I wrong! In my opinion, "How to Train Your Dragon" is one of the best family animated movies I've seen in years.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Picked it up but haven't looked at it...there's been so little CGI movies outside of Pixar that has come close to moving me the way they do (Shrek never thrilled me at all)...I was hoping someone could do partially as well.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this one at the theatre and I own it on DVD - technically, it's my son's. It was one of the best CGI animated movies last year. A cross between E.T. and Beowulf, without naked demons, bloody fight scenes and cursing, of course.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved it, and so did my kids. It was funny and cute with great characters. Great story telling IMO.
Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoxyL
Member # 9096

- posted      Profile for RoxyL           Edit/Delete Post 
The movie is great! I was very impressed that there were real consequences at the end for Hiccup, not just a happy ending.

Just be aware if you read the books that there is absolutely nothing the same about them except the names of the characters. My kids enjoy the books about the snarky tiny dragon (Toothless is only the size of the kid's arm) and their adventures. No flying on the dragons in the books.

Both the movie and the books are excellent in their own way. They just aren't related at all.

Posts: 266 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
We saw it when it first came out in the theaters in the spring and really enjoyed it (was my first 3D theater movie...only as it turns out. I don't enjoy the 3D experience very much, though it was used to great effect w/the flying in the movie.)

I loved the way there wasn't an obvious big bad dark bad guy in the movie, the way so much of children's animated movies are. It's one of the reasons I love WALL-E so much. Cross-purposes, other motivations, I love that.

I think they did an excellent job characterizing the relationship between Hiccup and his father, and all the challenges therein. I think there's that great moment when his dad and all the vikings set sail and Astrid turns to Hiccup and says, "What are you going to do?" and you realize the movie's not yet over and there's more fun to be had still!

We just bought it and watched it the other night (came with a short that was pretty cute and some behind-the-scenes stuff that included the storyboarded versions of some of the animation, which I liked to see because I love understanding how movies come together. Worth the $22 we paid at Meier for the dual-pack.)

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
If you get the chance, do yourself a treat and watch the special features and the director's commentary.

There are some great insights into screenwriting (and writing in general) which 'show' you all the stuff you otherwise hear writers 'tell' you about, from killing your darlings to just how audience-aware writers need to be when making plot and character decisions. Really, really great stuff.

[This message has been edited by BenM (edited November 01, 2010).]

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
The one thing I keep thinking about every time I watch it is the scene where Hiccup meets Toothless all tied up and waiting for Hiccup to kill him. And then Hiccup cuts the ropes and releases the dragon. This whole scene reminds me of "The Black Stallion" where Alec does the same thing with the stallion all trussed up on the beach after the shipwreck. And Toothless being a black dragon only makes this comparison stronger.

Just had another thought. "The Black Stallion" comparison goes farther than that where Hiccup tries to touch Toothless for the first time. Very very similar to when Alec tried to touch the stallion on the island they were stranded on.

[This message has been edited by Crystal Stevens (edited November 07, 2010).]

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

- posted      Profile for andersonmcdonald   Email andersonmcdonald         Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw it, and.. wow! Just... wow. You're pretty darned jaded if you don't like this movie.
Posts: 456 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

The movie came from a book? Don't get me wrong. I know a lot of movies come from books but wasn't aware that this one did.

Is the book under the same title as the movie or something else? Who's the author? The reason I ask is I just went to my favorite used bookstore yesterday, and they told me several people have been in asking about the book (books?) that the movie was based on. Seems like the store manager has no idea there were even books written that the movie is based on.

So anyone want to clue me in?

RoxyL
Member # 9096

- posted      Profile for RoxyL           Edit/Delete Post 
My kids love the How to Train Your Dragon books. They written at an elementary level and there are at least a half dozen now. The author is Cressida Cowell.

As I said above, the books are absolutely nothing like the movie. The boys are sent off to the cliffs to raid a dragon hatchery. Hiccup wants nothing to do with it, but being the chief's son (and a very wimpy intelligent one at that) he has to go along. He ends up with toothless, a snarky dragon shorter than his arm. No flying, no losing legs, nothing like that. Just a fun, irreverant kids book.

hth

Posts: 266 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

Thanks for the info RoxyL. I'll look them up the next chance I get.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.