Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Class » Writing blurbs or short synopses

Author Topic: Writing blurbs or short synopses
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
There are times, particularly with novels, when a market wants to see a two to three sentence summary of your novel. Ouch. How the heck do you do that? I do this for theatre all the time; we call the blurbs. It's a similar process, and I'm hoping this might help. When I write blurbs for theatre shows, my goal is to pique your audience's interest. A 2-3 sentence synopsis's main goal is to make someone want to read your book.

Start by simplifying. You aren't trying to tell them the entire plot, you're trying to tell them just enough to get them intrigued. In many ways, you're just trying to give them an idea of what pigeon-hole to put it in.

An example of trying to tell the whole plot:
Frodo Baggins, a hobbit who lives in the Shire, inherits a magic ring, which seems to only make the user invisible, from his Uncle Bilbo--who got it on a quest with Gandalf the Grey many years before--which seems like a nice trinket until Gandalf tells him that it has the power to rule everything and must be destroyed. Frodo, who is the only one who can bear the ring without succumbing to its corrupting power, joins Gandalf, Aragorn, Merrie, Sam, Pippin, on a journey across Middle-Earth to return the ring to Mordor, where it was forged to destroy it, before the curse of the ring destroys Frodo, as it has destroyed many men before, and before Sauron, the dark Lord of Morder, can find him and take the ring thus ruling Middle-Earth. On the way to Mordor, they pass through an enchanted forest, meet elves, talking trees, battle giant spiders, orcs and Gollum (a creature who used to own the ring and whose sanity was destroyed by it), receive gifts that allow them to ultimately be victorious in the climatic final battle against Sauron's massive army of Orcs and pass deep into Sauron's territory, but Frodo has to struggle not to loose his sanity the way other ring bearers have before him.

Huh?

Simplified plot:
Frodo Baggins, a hobbit, inherits a magic ring, which has the power to rule everything. Before it can fall into the wrong hands, Frodo and a group of humans, hobbits, an elf, a dwarf and a wizard, travel across Middle-Earth to return the ring to where it was forged, to destroy it. They not only have to fight others, but the power of the ring also causes them to fight among themselves.

Well, that's clearer, but it's fairly dry.

Next, focus on Mood:
What do I mean? It is as important to create an impression of the tone of the novel as it is to convey the plot.

An example of adding mood:
The young Hobbit, Frodo Baggins, inherits a ring, but this ring is no mere trinket--it is the One Ring, an instrument of absolute power that could rule Middle-earth and enslave its peoples. Tormented by the corrupting power of the One Ring, Frodo, together with a Fellowship that includes his loyal Hobbit friends, Humans, a Wizard, a Dwarf and an Elf, must journey across Middle-earth to Mount Doom and destroy the One Ring forever.

I've just cheated--that's an adaptation of the official movie website blurb. In fact, when I'm writing blurbs, I often imagine that the Voiceover Guy from the movies is reading my blurb.

Okay, now it's your turn. I'll start by making it easy; here's the plot of the Little]http://www.pedagonet.com/quickies/bk2.htm]Little Match Girl.

Plot:
An orphaned Danish girl is selling matches in the snow. She gets cold and while lighting the matches to try to stay warm, hallucinates that she sees things in the flames. At the end, she freezes to death.

(ugh. Who wants to read that?)

Now, try writing a blurb.

[This message has been edited by MaryRobinette (edited May 28, 2005).]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno... there's something catchy in that blurb you wrote... poor girl hallucinates... burns matches to keep warm but ends up freezing to death anyhow?

Who could resist reading THAT book???

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah. I'd read it!
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
okay... i'm going to try this method with my short story _A Vinesley Christmas Eve_

Long Winded Plot Summary:

Viniece Cloud Vinesley writes in his Journal about a dream he had had some years back on Christmas Eve. Starting out funny it then turns dark, and he becomes aware that someone was changing his dream. They took him through a similar sequence as the familiar story of Scrooge, and taught him a few things about the world and himself. His brother Slicer plays the role of the third ghost and shows Viniece a vision of them approaching their lake-side cabin, long since dilapidated, and finding their sister devoured by some hideous beast. He forewarns him that the day this vision comes to bear, he will have work to do. The dream returns to happy musings and Viniece wakes up to find that whoever took him on his detour stuck around for the end of the dream and left him a Christmas present.

Simplified Plot Summary:

Viniece writes in his Journal about a Christmas Eve dream he once had, in which some other force takes him on a detour from happy musings to dark omens, using the familiar sequence of events from _A Christmas Carol_. What does the future hold?

i'm going to say that my simplified plot summary is already good enough for a "blurb"

so, how did i do?

[This message has been edited by dpatridge (edited May 29, 2005).]

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

Well, all you're really telling me in the blurb is that this is a retelling of A Christmas Carol. I'd need to know more to be interested. I've seen a lot of retellings of A Christmas Carol on TV (anyone else remember the WKRP In Cincinnati version?) so I'm going to need to know more about this particular retelling before it will stand out and catch my interest.

From the first version, I know that there's something about his family and a cabin and a hideous beast - the beast sounds interesting.

dpatridge
Member # 2208

hmm... it's really a merging together of multiple Christmas stories, Rudolph, Frosty, Three Wise Men, and Christmas Carol. It just follows the _Christmas Carol_ plot sequence of past, present, future while someone else is controlling his dream...

i deviate a LOT from the actuality of the story, for one thing, Viniece, at this point, is definitely no Scrooge, although he ends up developing into something close later in life, but this story doesn't concern itself with anything past the Journal entry...

i really have no idea how to approach a blurb for this story, that's the reason i chose it. heh.

the "hideous beast" is only in one single vision at the end of the _Christmas Carol_ sequence... it doesn't play an important enough role to be featured in a blurb.

and i don't really address who took over his dreams either...

ParanoidRook
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Please forgive me for assailing your eyes with my horrific writing skills.

A poor little girl sells matches in the freezing cold. She defies her father's anger by lighting a match to stay warm, and within the flame she see's images of the life that eludes her, a life of simple pleasures unattainable in her eyes. She see's her grandmother in her last vision, her spirit leaves the wretched world of the flesh, and joins the perfect bliss of heaven.

| Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

heck, dude Rook, you've got me completely beat with that. I'd read a book with that blurb just to find out what the heck is being said.

i don't mean that negatively, your writing is anything but horrific, actually, it's just... that doesn't really tell us anything about the story, it hints, it's vague, and yet it tugs at you and urges you to find out what is REALLY going on.

and that's a good thing, imo, blurbs SHOULD hint and tug at you. giving the plot away in a blurb is a nono.

[This message has been edited by dpatridge (edited May 30, 2005).]

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
What makes ParanoidRook's take on the Poor Little Matchgirl effective is that it does give the plot away. The danger with comparing a blurb for a movie with a blurb in a query letter is that a publisher apparently wants to know what they are buying, whereas a movie-goer just wants a hint. I can't remember where I read this, but some market guidelines said (paraphrased), "Don't tease us. We want to know that you can end a story."
Beth
Member # 2192

right! Now if you're writing the back cover copy, you get to be all mysterious and raise questions and drop hints. but not in this kind of blurb.
dpatridge
Member # 2208

ahh, ok, so i'm mistaking the entire purpose of this in the first place. we are after the Editors, not the Audience.

yeah, reading that blurb as an editor it certainly tells us what's happening.

whereas mine didn't.

i'm still not sure how to approach this for mine...

ParanoidRook
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mary. I just based my blurb on yours of LOTR.
 | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalvin
Member # 2630

- posted      Profile for Kalvin   Email Kalvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's me go at it. Critique as you will.

It’s new years eve, and snow floats down onto the crowd. All are happy, the new year is almost here! But one girl doesn’t participate in the joy. But one, lone girl can not. She shivers in the night as she begs for someone to purchase one of her feeble matches. The cold is nearly unbearable, and so she strikes the match. A simple flame to keep a poor girl warm, or is there more to it then that?
Who knows what wonders the flame’s will hold?

Er... Trust me, that is not my best writing. I'm a bit tired right now.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Welcome, Kalvin. Thanks for playing with us. I'm about to set a challenge for you. Take that blurb and cut it down to two to three sentences. Ready? Go!
dpatridge
Member # 2208

ooh, can i have up to three sentences too? maybe i can actually come up with something that works in three sentences...
Kalvin
Member # 2630

She shivers in the night as she begs for someone to purchase one of her feeble matches, but the cold is nearly unbearable, and so she strikes the match. A simple flame to keep a poor girl warm, or is there more to it then that?
Who knows what wonders the flame’s will hold?

I think that that's better. Sorry my first one was too long.

thedorkygirl
Member # 2639

- posted      Profile for thedorkygirl   Email thedorkygirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's mine.

A young girl selling matches in the cold of New Year begins to strike them in hopes of keeping warm. In the flames, she finds a sort of magic as visions of that which she is lacking: warmth, food, celebration, and family. In the end, the heat of the matches is not enough to save the child, and she dies, going " where there is neither cold, hunger, nor pain."

I don't think I like the transition between the beginning of the last sentence and the end. Mep. Perhaps I should have broken it up.

Kalvin
Member # 2630

Er.. Dork... That's not bad to me, but, well... It tells the whole story. You only want to tease them, not shorten the sotry into one manigable bight.
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Kalvin,

Read MaryRobinette's May 30th post above.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalvin
Member # 2630

I wasn't aiming for the publisher. I was aiming for the average reader. A publisher -does- want to know how a book starts, continues, and ends. A reader wants to read the book, not the back of the cover.
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Fair enough. But I think that thedorkygirl was aiming for the publisher, as per instructions.
Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Mr. Fisher is right, at least for this exercise. As writers trying to sell our work, it's more important to be able write a blurb to reach the publisher than the readers. A) You've got to sell the book first. B) That's what the publisher's marketing division is for.

thedorkygirl, I really like your last sentence. Using the quote from the story is nice, but if this were your story you wouldn't have to put it into quotes. (Although one could make a case for doing it as you've done it) The words are all yours.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.