Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » Ansibles and guns blazing -- FF contest (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Ansibles and guns blazing -- FF contest
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
On a serious note, does the weapons that belong to the two people bursting into the room need to be of leathal variety?

No, we're not being overly literal or mechanical with the triggers.

My milieu is strengthening in my mind but the plot's stalled. I need to take myself out somewhere for a walk to get inspired ...

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
When do you want the stories?
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Closing date for entries: 18.00 GMT Friday July 4th

Closing date for crits and votes: 18:00 GMT Friday July 18th

Submission Guide
================

Please e-mail your story in .doc, .rtf or plain .txt format to me before the closing date above.

Please do not put early drafts of your story through the regular F&F threads for first 13s, for that would destroy the annonymity of voting.

(If you use Word 2007 please save in .rtf or an earlier .doc format because we don't all have the format converters for earlier versions of Word.)

In the e-mail subject line please put "Hatrack Contest--Story name--author's Hatrack name" in order to get past my spam filters.

In the body of your email please put your Hatrack name and your e-mail address.

On the first page of the manuscript (and nowhere else) put your name and the word count.

I will create a new thread where I will put the first 13s for voting purposes.

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo hoo! I finally got my story finished and typed into my OWN computer. (If you'll recall, I wrote it in a notebook while I sat in an airport waiting for my long delayed airplane) I've got to let it sit for a few days before I do the final edit and then it'll be ready to turn in! [Don't knock the exclamation point. I earned it ]
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
illiterate
Member # 7997

- posted      Profile for illiterate   Email illiterate         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so I'm probably the only idiot that doesn't know about this already, but to sacrifice myself at the hope of helping others, I found a great way to count the words in MS Word. I was doing it by going to File> Properties> Statistics.

You Click on Tools > Word Count. This opens a little toolbar that you can drag onto the main toolbars so that it will always be shown. Then just press "Recount" every time you want to see the new updates.

I thought it was nifty. If I'm the only one who didn't know this, then I understand I must be chastized in public.

Posts: 52 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Let the chastisement begin...

In word 2007 is counts it all the time for you in the lower left-hand corner--you just swivel your eyes.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless and editor tells you to use MSWord word count (or its online equivilancy) the basic estimate--if formatted properly--is 250 words a page.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

I just turned mine in. Let me know if you don't get it.
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

Yep, Unwritten, got it.

I resolved my plot problems and have most of a working first draft. It's approaching 1000 words and going to run over, but it should be okay after a revision or two--except the characters are beginning to take over. One's not taking kindly having her part reduced. "Word count?" she shrieks. "I will not be limited by 1000 words. Cut someone else." Luckily, she's not the one waving the guns around ...

Cheers,
Pat

shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Could it be less than a thousand words?
Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

Sure, 1000 words is just the upper limit.

Pat

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

Progress upate:

I've received three stories so far, and an indication of another on the way shortly.

Mine is at 1100 words and editing mercilessly.

Anyone else making progress?

Cheers,
Pat

Unwritten
Member # 7960

So, TaleSpinner, what's the plan on this one?
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

Closing date for entries is July 4th. Around then I'll start a fresh thread with first 13s to vote on.

Then, on July 4th I'll send 'em all out for votes and crits by July 18. I'll remind everyone of the details nearer the time.

I have a first draft. One of my readers liked it, the other said "It's fine--but what's going on?" Some revision is in order, methinks.

Happy writing,
Pat

Unwritten
Member # 7960

Sorry, I just got the dates mixed up.

quote:
One of my readers liked it, the other said "It's fine--but what's going on?" Some revision is in order, methinks.

I don't know, I just checked the book Flash Fiction out of the library, and not knowing exactly what's going on seems to be the effect that some of the authors are going for.

Good luck!

shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
...not knowing exactly what's going on seems to be the effect that some of the authors are going for.

If that is the case, my story is awesome.

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
TS, do you want the entries in standard ms format (for easy critting) or in Hatrack-Ugly-Posting format? (Or both)

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

Either is fine, as long as the file is .doc, .txt or .rtf, or embedded in the e-mail. (And not Word 2007 please, I can't read it.)

I'll send everything out in MS Word a plain .txt format so that everyone can read it, and I'll request crits in a similar format for the same reason. (Else, we have to have long discussions who can use which features of Word and in my experience that gets messy.) That means, don't spend too much time with formatting because it will likely get lost.

Thanks for asking.
Pat

annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Gack! Got my premise but don't know where my story is going. I could probably find its path in, oh, 4000 words, but... yeah.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

Yeah, I had the same problem. Trouble is, when I cut it down I kept stuff I liked and cut some plot essentials, rendering it more of a puzzle than a story :-(

Pat

annepin
Member # 5952

Okay, sent it off.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

It was late Sunday afternoon when the anisble rang--again--in the kitchen. "I see we have eight stories," said the Voice from Afar.

"Yeah," I said, "Good, huh?"

"From whom do we have stories?"

I read from the list pinned to the fridge.

"Why two from WouldBe?" asked the Voice.

"He wrote one, almost blew its identity in some other thread and wrote another just in case. I told him it's supposed to be fun, so to offer them both if he had a mind to."

"What about the others?"

"Well, they have until 18.00 GMT Friday July 4th to send their stories--or if they did already, their ansibles are faulty and they need to resend 'em."

"GMT?"

"Greenwich Mean Time, five hours ahead of US Eastern Standard Time."

"So," said the Voice, "that's by 1.00 pm Eastern. Will you need help e-mailing the stories out?"

"Don't be daft," I said. "You can't help. You're just a figment of my imagination."

As I put the ansible down I said, "Aren't you?"

Here's the list on the fridge. A 'y' beside your handle means I got your story.

lliterate
Unwritten y
JustinProse
IB y
Jeff M
Cheyne
WouldBe yy
kathyton
Annepin y
Grant John y
shimiqua y
snapper y
TS

Cheers,
Pat

Grant John
Member # 5993

- posted      Profile for Grant John   Email Grant John         Edit/Delete Post 
You better nag that TS, shifty guy.
Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
that TS guy was just telling me in an Email that he was having trouble fitting his story in that stringent rule of under a thousand.
Maybe he should complain to the organizer of this contest. I offered to help Tar and feather him.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

I'm revising the story gingerly, because two of the characters are armed and one's a woman with attitude. I keep telling myself that the pen's mightier than the sword ...

I'm taking care not to read any of the stories received until mine is finished, so there's no chance of accidentally lifting someone else's ideas. There are some great titles though, and I think we can all look forward to some good reads.

Cheers,
Pat

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

Here's the current list on the fridge. Please send your story to me again if you do not see a 'y' against your handle. If you do not receive a 'got it' e-mail from me within one working day, something's wrong.

lliterate
Unwritten y
JustinProse
IB y
Jeff M
Cheyne
WouldBe yy
kathyton y
Annepin y
Grant John y
shimiqua y
snapper y
TS y

Don't forget, entries close at 18.00 GMT on July 4th.

Over the weekend (Saturday I hope but Sunday if there are glitches) I will send the entries to all participants who sent in a story. (I will assume that no story, or e-mailed reason for delay begging for extra time and promising Macallans, means no participation.) That e-mail will include voting and critting instructions--no surprises, just a repeat of the salient points above. Also, I'll post the first 13s in a new thread for voting purposes. Remember, we're voting on best first 13, and best story. You must crit at least three stories for your vote to count and your story to be voted on.

Cheers,
Pat

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Tomorrow's D-Day. Who's ready?
WouldBe
Member # 5682

Ansibles fired up; guns locked and loaded; ready to kick *ss.
Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

Wow, people, we have eleven entries:

lliterate
Unwritten y
JustinProse
IB y
Jeff M withdrew--too busy
Cheyne y
WouldBe yy
kathyton y
Annepin y
Grant John y
shimiqua y
snapper y
TS y

If you don't see your entry acknowledged in the list please contact me either by e-mail or this thread.

From the titles alone it's clear everyone has worked hard. We can all look forward to some good reads and valuable crits.

I plan to get the first 13s posted and the stories despatched by tomorrow, Sunday lunch time, before the British Grand Prix starts. The e-mail will include instructions for voting and critting.

Cheers,
Pat

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Anyone else done with everything?
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

I've told Rich he gets the prize for fastest response. He'll get a shiny new ansible, just as soon as they're invented.

Cheers,
Pat

snapper
Member # 7299

Are we to judge these based on the authors adherence to the guidelines as well as what we thought of the story?
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

Since the main idea was to provoke everyone into writing a story and having some fun I would suggest being quite relaxed in interpretation of the triggers. We want to encourage creativity. What's more important is character, plot, etc. Bottom line: we'd not want to disqualify or otherwise discourage what's basically a good story, right? Unless there's a serious breach, I'd suggest judging the first 13 and the story itself.

Cheers,
Pat

annepin
Member # 5952

Hey Pat, i sent you my vots and crits by email yesterday. Could you just ping me and let me know you received it? Thanks!
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

The ansible rang in the kitchen.

"Must move that thing to the study," I thought. "Why would you put it in the kitchen?"

"Ping," said the Voice from Afar.

"Huh?"

"Anne said to ping her. Sounded like fun so I did it for you."

"But ... Oh, never mind. We've gotten three sets of crits and votes to date. Isn't that cool?"

"Yeah. When are they due by?"

"July 18th. Another nine days. But you aren't voting. Why are you asking?"

"Just in case anyone else needs pinging. I'm using an ansible. That's gotta be faster than you with your e-mail."

"Oh. Thanks--and when they're invented, send one to IB for me?"

"Sure thing. See ya."

As I put the ansible down I looked at the list on the fridge. There were marks by the names of the people who had sent votes and crits thus far, and wondered whether to ping them about the July 18 closing date ...

Unwritten
IB y
Cheyne
WouldBe y
kathyton
Annepin y
Grant John
shimiqua
snapper

Cheers,
Pat

annepin
Member # 5952

When in doubt, ping, I say!

I'm going to miss these little episodes when the contest is over, TaleSpinner.

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

:-)

I'm thinking of offering another contest after this one's over ...

Cheers,
Pat

WouldBe
Member # 5682

Cognizant ansibles and blazing guns with a conscience, in the hands of vampire children?
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Werewolf Spartans defending the last bastion of Intergalactic Hope--a defunct and overgrown death star--against a race of Mafia-like Shark-People?
WouldBe
Member # 5682

IA, that's just silly. Sheesh. How about an army of zombie shopping mall Santas vying for...a mall, I guess. A really scary mall...dark.
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Ooooo-oou!

How about an army of evil shopping mall Santas vs. Women Vampire Spartans on Shopping Mall asteroid? (That would be a battle!)

*evil laughter*

The best of all three...

snapper
Member # 7299

I'm working on mine, TS. Got two of my top picks critiqued, just need to work on the last.
Do you plan on posting these crits? Would you like a short summary from us on what we liked and why?

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

We've never posted all the crits before. In fact, that would be difficult because some people have annotated the manuscript file.

I could put all the crits together into a zipped collection of files (with instructions on downloading and using a free copy of Winzip for anyone zip-challenged) and send them all to everyone--it would certainly save me the work of sorting the crits and sending them to authors.

I'm finding it quite instructive to see different people's reactions to the stories, so if nobody objects strongly in the next few days, I'll send all the crits to all authors--good idea, snapper.

Some people have included a short summary of their reaction to every story as their crit.

Here's the note on the fridge of those who've voted and critted so far:

Unwritten y
IB y
Cheyne
WouldBe y
kathyton
Annepin y
Grant John
shimiqua y
snapper y

One first 13 is way ahead of the others, but several stories are vying for best story, so these last votes matter.

Cheers,
Pat

annepin
Member # 5952

I'm fine with having my crits made public, both those I receive and those I've written. I anticipate that I, too, will find it instructive to read other people's reactions.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited July 12, 2008).]

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

quote:

I'm fine with having my crits made public, both those I receive and those I've written.

I'm good with that, too. Of course emailed to everyone is not the same public as these fora, which will keep our stories viable for submission.

Edited to add:

Is the thirteen which is ahead in the numbers a major contender for the best story? As long as we're discussing different perspectives, I wonder how many found the 13 line hook not to be delivered upon.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited July 12, 2008).]

snapper
Member # 7299

quote:
Is the thirteen which is ahead in the numbers a major contender for the best story? As long as we're discussing different perspectives, I wonder how many found the 13 line hook not to be delivered upon.

For me, the answer was no. One of the top three in the thirteen made the top three in the favorite story, and just barely.
Two of those top 13 I really, really liked the hook. I thought they were splendid. Too bad it couldn't carry that excitement along for the rest of the script.
My favorite story (it was a run away for me) probably would have been ranked 7th or 8th out of ten in my favorite 13. Which goes to prove for me that a prose and plot is far more important to me as a reader. But if I were an editor that had to go through a few hundred stories a month to pick six for my magazine, I might feel differently.

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

The story whose first 13 is ahead is one of four vying for "best story".

All will be revealed when we get those final votes, at the end of this week ... stay tuned, same ansible channel ...

Pat

snapper
Member # 7299

My ansible isn't working properly, aren't these things supposed to tell you what is going to happen? Maybe I should check to see if I plugged it in correctly.
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

quote:

aren't these things supposed to tell you what is going to happen?

Uh...no. At least, not in anything I have ever read. As far as I know, they're supposed to be a way of communicating in deep-space or on FTL travel.

quote:

[Quoted from the Wikipedia link]
The word ansible was coined by Ursula K. Le Guin in her 1966 novel, Rocannon's World. Le Guin states that she derived the name from "answerable," as the device would allow its users to receive answers to their messages in a reasonable amount of time, even over interstellar distances. Her award-winning 1974 novel The Dispossessed tells of the invention of the ansible within her [i]Hainish Cycle[i].

[Later]

Le Guin's ansible was said to communicate "instantaneously"

[Still later]

Le Guin explains that in order for communication to work with any pair of ansibles at least one "must be on a large-mass body, the other can be anywhere in the cosmos."

[A little later]

"doesn't involve radio waves, or any form of energy. The principle it works on, the constant of simultaneity, is analogous in some ways to gravity... One point has to be fixed, on a planet of certain mass, but the other end is portable." Le Guin's ansibles are not mated pairs as it is possible for an ansible's coordinates to be set to any known location of a receiving ansible.

I think the quoted are the only components used by all of the authors re-vamping the ansible. I could be wrong, but this seems to be the universal consistency.

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

I think I see the confusion here. If I travel across the galaxy in my FTL cruiser, relativistic effects mean I'm vastly in the future according to your frame of reference. When I call you on the ansible, I will appear to be calling you from the future since communication is immediate. But I can only tell you about things that have happened in my time frame--the future, relative to your time frame. I can't tell you about things that will happen in your future, in your time frame, because I'm way across the galaxy and your future hasn't happened yet. Because of the transdimensional time torques inherent in ansible communication, people often believe they can tell the future, but it's an urban myth.

That's a confusing explanation so I called the Voice from Afar in quest of a simpler one. "Can an ansible tell the future?" I asked.

"No."

"Why?"

"Because it's a communications device. The ansible does not speak to you. I do."

"Oh, yeah, right--"

"And, per your previous post, it doesn't have 'channels'. You just set the coordinates of the ansible you want to talk to."

"Wups. Silly me. Umm ... I don't suppose you know what the result of our competition will be?"

"No," said the Voice from Afar. "Patience, distant one. Friday, July 18th is just a few days hence now, and those three votes will surely be in by then."

Stay tuned, same ansible coordinates ...
Pat

[This message has been edited by TaleSpinner (edited July 14, 2008).]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.