Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » Finish my story intro...

Author Topic: Finish my story intro...
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
A small competition, if you fancy a go--rules below.

1. I will provide you with the first sentence of you intro and the title. Consider these as prompts, if you will.

2. You may alter this first sentence provided that you eliminate no more than 20 percent(ish) of the words and any substitutions must be for a word of similar meaning ( 'sprinted' may be changed for 'jogged' for example.). So you could change:

The house smelled like a cat's litter tray.

The cottage stunk like pig-sty.

The way to judge this is to identify if the general thrust of the sentence remains the same. We won't be too pedantic about it. I verymush doubt if there would be any complaints if you shifted this line to the second or perhaps thried sentence of you own intro.

3. You may insert other words into the sentence or add extra clauses, provided my original meaning is not lost or changed beyond recognition.

4. This competition is about a creating a hook, so ensure you do.

5. Post your entry using the usual format:

Title

Story

5. Voting commences on 2nd June--any time zone.

Title: Pearls of Red

First Line: The garden was silent, but Jasal wasn't fooled.

Discussions on this thread, entries only on the other...(theres always one!)

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited May 30, 2009).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
How could something seem silent?

Sound = noise

No sound = silence

Not much gray area.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

bah humbug (I know what I meant)...I write one line and it gets critted!

Well spotted.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited May 25, 2009).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm assuming the story is thirteen lines?
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, whether the story is 13 lines or not, entries will need to be kept to 13 lines, as usual.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Yes--sorry--this is a first 13 line competition. So it the intro of your story and the usual 13 lines limit applies.

It is not a micro-fiction story competition...so you need to create hooks, but not finish the story.

skadder
Member # 6757

Quite a few entries already, and the quality is high.
Cheyne
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Cheyne   Email Cheyne         Edit/Delete Post 
Was the title 'Pearls of Red' part of the Challenge or just an example? I noticed at least one writer stretching to encompass the idea.
Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

It was just a title that you had to try and write to. I didn't expect references in the first 13 necessarily. I guess you should bear it in mind when writing, but it's not that important really--no-one's gonna question you on it!

I chose 'Pearls of Red' as I thought it was suitably ambiguous--could be blood, treasure, planets, anything, really.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited May 28, 2009).]

skadder
Member # 6757

I forgot to mention that non-voters (voting from 2nd to 9th of June) can't win, as the vote they should have made may have helped someone else win.

Come the 9th, anyone who hasn't voted will have the any votes they recieved transferred down to the person below. So 5 points for a first place vote will bump down to whoever came second, and they will get the 5 points instead...third place will bump up to second and get 4 points.

Make sure you vote...critting is not required, although we all appreciate a comment or two on why our entry did or didn't get a vote.

JustinArmstrong
Member # 8607

- posted      Profile for JustinArmstrong   Email JustinArmstrong         Edit/Delete Post 
I've also noticed that my name made it into an entry! I feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Skadder, I gotta hand it to you, you make up some fun writing challenges. Any other ones you plan on creating, it's a sure bet I'll be in on them.

Happy Voting everyone! (Come june 7th)

Posts: 17 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Anyone agree that the 7th is quite a long way away? It's almost ten days...I doubt we will get many more entries. Quite frankly, I don't know why I set it so far in the future.

If people consent to it, I was going to suggest bringing the voting period forward to 2rd June--9th June. That way it still gives people a few more days to submit entries.

Since this is altering the original 'rules', I think we would need at least a majority of entrants to agree to it. So as it stands now, I would need seven of the twelve entrants to agree. If I only get six votes, then we will stick to the original dates.

Please indicate your agreement by posting a simple 'Yes' on this thread.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited May 29, 2009).]

Cheyne
Member # 7710

YES

That is my vote for the date change, but I also have a question.

What is the voting format? Top three...four? let us know please.

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes

I'm for moving the date up.

[This message has been edited by Owasm (edited May 29, 2009).]

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

sure

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

I'm a yes (obviously)--voting will be 1st, 2nd and 3rd. The will get 5, 4 and 3 points respectively.

We need three more votes to bring forward the voting date.

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
TS was silent. But skadder wasn't fooled. He chalked up another yes.
Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Yeah, silent like Mr Blobby, the ninja.
Kaz
Member # 7968

- posted      Profile for Kaz   Email Kaz         Edit/Delete Post 
A yes here as well.
Posts: 72 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

One more vote and we change it...

Adam

tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on the fence on this one. On the one hand it doesn't really matter a whole lot - but on the other hand, what if we move it up and in some bazaar cascade of events, someone dies? Hey, I just came up with the next challenge. Sure, move it up. But if someone gets killed....
Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Okay--critical mass achieved.

VOTING DATES CHANGED; voting commences on the 2nd June until the 9th (any timezone).

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
You do know that I had to be a late entry, right?
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Of course, except you had until the 2nd.
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still thinking about entering, but haven't written it yet--do I have to SUBMIT by end of today?
Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Yup, although you can post an entry anytime until someone votes (after it becomes the 2nd in some time zone). So avote closes it.
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

quote:
Might as well edit it back to above this post--no-one has voted yet!
Oh, thank you, thank you!

[This message has been edited by MrsBrown (edited June 03, 2009).]

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

Voting and crits in the ENTRIES thread?
skadder
Member # 6757

Yup...crits always follow on the same thread as the entries--well, at least as far as I remember.
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

Shall we vote for best title as well? I vote for "ENTRY #n" ... never mind.
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

This was a lot of good feedback, with very mixed reactions. Thanks for all your crits!
I am interested in posting a re-write, and seeing if it resolves the problems that some folks had, without losing the good stuff that some folks liked.

Is anyone else interested in polishing up their 13 lines?

I could just take it to F&F, but I liked getting a lot of feedback at once without all the back-and-forth and multiple revisions to please a few.

Devnal
Member # 6724

- posted      Profile for Devnal   Email Devnal         Edit/Delete Post 
Just want to give a "thank you" to skadder for putting this challenge together. I miss doing these things and I'm sure its a lot of hard work to put together and supervise.

Thanks Skadder!

Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JustinArmstrong
Member # 8607

- posted      Profile for JustinArmstrong   Email JustinArmstrong         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree! Thank you very much skadder. You somehow manage to put together a fun and useful competetion that got many of us involved.

I was just reading Character's and Viewpoints again by Card and I read a line near the beginning that talked about no two stories being the same. That it wouldn't matter if two people wrote about the same thing, the stories would reflect the writer.

It was interesting to see that proven so well with this exercise. Each story was very different, very distinct.

Great job to all the writers who entered.

Posts: 17 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheyne
Member # 7710

Thanks to everyone who took part.
It was indeed a learning experience. I learned that I need to bring my A-game to compete here.
I don't want this seen as an excuse, but I wrote my entry during a twenty minute break at work and was concentrating more on getting a hook in by line 13 than setting up a real story. The crits were mainly positive, but I only received one vote because this was it--there was no more story--I didn't even think about what came next. So it is no wonder very few readers felt drawn to read on even if they enjoyed what was written so far.
For the record I did mean the little ceramic garden statues and it was supposed to be funny.

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Very edutaining. Thanks skadder.
Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, skadder. Congratulations, snapper. Goodbye, splatter.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Thanks for the thanks.

quote:
Very edutaining.

I was aiming for entercational...or is that something to do with the liver?

quote:
I learned that I need to bring my A-game to compete here.

Always bring your best to the table.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited June 10, 2009).]

Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
From the mossy footpath, to the verdant foilage, Jasal thanks you.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I sent my 13 lines to David Wolverton, and he said he was hooked. Perhaps, I should write the story now. Good contest, skadder.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Thank you everyone. I am honored.

This proves that Rock Trolls are awesome.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.