Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » Calling short stories: Cash Prize (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Calling short stories: Cash Prize
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,

I'm fully aware how subjective competitions are and it's flattering to think that this particular story had the luck to meet Bent Tree's tastes. I'm sure the other stories in the competition may actually have a better chance than mine of meeting a different editor's taste when it comes time to launch them into the wider world.

Running the competition was an incredibly generous act and I can only hope Bent Tree's generosity will be repaid by well-deserved literary success.

Finally, I'd love to see some of these stories in the "Ready for Market Challenge" for November. We only have two entrants this month and I'd like to read some of the other stories based on Bent Tree's comments.

IB, if you need another pair of eyes, feel free to send it to me.

Regards,

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to the winners! I guess my trash talking wasn't enough.

Sorry Bent Tree, my story did turn out a little bit creepy. That wasn't the origional intention.

I posted my story in the november Ready for Market challenge, if any of you want to swap for a critique, I second Nick's motion and suggest we move to that location.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
It's on its way, Nick and Sheena. Feel free to pass yours on.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the offer of placing mine in the Ready for Market thread but a) it is not ready for market and b) it is 13500 words long.

It clearly needs a bit of work and I'm not sure there is a market for it. Slapstick sci/fi about a baseball icon set in a dark far future is tough to sell.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Really, snapper? I would have thought Gordon Van Gelder (Magazine of F&SF) would love something like that.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

I could save myself the postage, KDW, and write the answer I'll get in a week...

...this failed to capture my interest...

...but I am stubborn enough to try anyway. Okay, you convinced me.

Anyone willing to swap scripts? Mine is long and needs changes but perhaps a new perspective will point me in a new direction.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't it be a kick, snapper, if he bought it? Would you mention me in your Hugo Award speech, I wonder?
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm your huckleberry...
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

You better I believe I would mention you, Mrs Obeyed. The very next award I get people are going to hear about you. Count on it.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited November 07, 2009).]

Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Snapper,

quote:
Thank you for the offer of placing mine in the Ready for Market thread but a) it is not ready for market and b) it is 13500 words long.

How about I change the challenge to: "Ready to be critted the second time challenge"?

It's been difficult to get anyone apart from Merlion-Emrys to enter the challenge every month. I can't remember how it came to be my challenge in the first place, but I'm doing a terrible job of making it a success.

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Nick, I'd like to enter, but I've been really bogged down with paperwork over the last 6 months and I haven't had time to polish anything to the point of submitting it for publishing, except my WOTF piece.

Things might change soon - see Dilemma in Grist for the Mill.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RillSoji
Member # 1920

- posted      Profile for RillSoji   Email RillSoji         Edit/Delete Post 
Grats to the winners!
Posts: 125 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I have just got home from ten days in the hospital. I apologize to the winners I will be sending out the cas prizes tommorrow

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Oh, Scott! Sorry to hear that, but at least you're home now.

Here's hoping you can stay away from hospitals for years now.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.