Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Not my month...

Author Topic: Not my month...
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
After the recent debacle with cars, we went to a car lot and, after three hours, drove away in a Dodge Durango. On our way back home, my wife called her best friend (who is married to one of my best friends) because we hadn't spoken in a while. Her husband has a birthday within a couple of days of mine, and we usually get together. Well, she hadn't gotten much into the converstion when she lost the signal. (As the signal was going, she promised to call back when we got home.) I dropped her off and ran to the shop to get a couple of things I had forgotten. When I got back to the house, we decided to run over to the store, and she called her friend again from her cell phone..

...and it was answered by a neighbor. There was a bit of panic, but, my wife's friend had dropped the kids off with that neighbor, and was with the paramedics! The neighbor said she heard "shots fired".

Needless to say, our trip to the store became a trip to Albion (about an hour-and-a-half away). When we got there, the street was blocked off and an entire chunk of the road was blocked off. My friend had lost his job, gotten trashed, beat his wife and when she ran away with the kids, he took a shotgun out after them! The cop that arrived shot him to death.

Our night was spent on that street and calling his mother, comforting his shocked, bruised wife and trying to help her keep it together as she explained why "daddy" wasn't coming back to his four-and-a-half-year-old daughter...

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited August 05, 2008).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, no!

I'm so sorry.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn! IB, I don't even know what to say. I'm so sorry.
Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, IB, that is terrible. I'm so sorry to hear about this.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I am so sorry. Your family and theirs will be in my prayers.
Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
That's bad, Rich. You all will be in my thoughts.

Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I'm very sorry, IB.

Nothing we can say will make this any better.

Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Very sorry to hear that. Lots of hurting people.
Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'm just wierd, but I'm pissed. I want to beat the hell out of him. Yes, I know it's futile and screwed up, but it's true.

I'm angry because I can't yell at him for how stupid what he did was.

I'm angry because if I'd have been there, it wouldn't have happened--I'd have beat the hell out of him.

I'm angry because two children are left without a father, and a 28 year-old woman--a good, faithful woman--is a widow.

I'm angry because I had to call his mother (who I'm sure doesn't like me anyway) and tell her that her son was shot...and dead.

I'm angry because his stubbornness did this all.

And I'm pissed that the cop didn't see if one shot worked. Nor did he see if two shots worked. He fired two shots into his right side and a third into his chest before my friend had time to respond to the first use of violence.

It makes me angry that he didn't have some insurmountable problem. In one drunken instant he became a fatalist.

But, I think what makes me most angry is that he wanted to die. He had so much to offer; so much to live for, but he wanted to die for something that happened 20 years ago...and it was common!

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Not weird at all. You have every reason to be angry.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

I just shared my feelings so people might see how different a reaction someone could have. It's always sorrow that's mentioned, or grief, but I feel anger.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Anger is as much a part of the grieving process as sorrow is, and when things happened that you couldn't prevent, anger is one of the most natural ways to react.

The question, "How could he DO that?" is very valid, and applies all over (to more than one person and to several separate events) in this situation.

I would be very surprised, Rich, if you weren't angry about all of this.

Edited to add: I would have been angry, certainly after the shock, and the sorrow, if not along with them. I would have screamed my rage.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited August 05, 2008).]

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

He banged her up pretty bad, too. She's in a horrid state. The kids were in the mix and he--apparently--fired off the shotgun in the house. My wife's wrecked. She helped measure the bruises and had to be the one to tell her best friend she's a widow. She's still just miserable.
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I read about this - but yesterday it was just a passing glance at a news story about distant characters, almost like fiction. But hearing it from you - now they aren't just characters anymore, they are real to me - as I imagine myself in your situation.

I'm sorry that I don't have words of comfort, I've never been good at that. But I do have a suggestion, listen to some chopin, particularly anything in minor, and especially the nocturnes. I don't mean to depress you, but I find this music very soothing and if you are like me - it may help you clear your head and organize your thoughts. Best of luck.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Thanks, Zero. I wish I had some Chopin right now. I've settled for Angra: Rebirth and Lamb of God: Ashes of the Wake--particularly Laid to Rest.
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, Rich, what a mess. I am sorry for what everyone in that situation is going through. I recently had an opportunity to reflect on what kinds of chaos the decisions one makes in an *instant* can wreak on others. It's not pretty.

The crappy irony in this is that the one in this situation who made the poor decisions is gone, whatever you (general you, not you) might believe about afterlife, he's not here dealing with the fallout from his poor decisions. Instead his wife is picking up the pieces, literally, and will be for a long time.

I'm glad you and your wife were able to be there for her, in spite of how traumatic it is for you guys. Anger makes a lot of sense in this situation. You want him back so you can beat the living daylights out of him, don't you? I'm sorry.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
You have a lot to deal with there, Rich. Anger's natural, not at all weird. No doubt your wife, the widow and their kids, everyone involved, are feeling anger and a bunch of other emotions as well.

That grieving family are lucky to have you and your wife as friends who care, and do what it takes.

Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

quote:

You want him back so you can beat the living daylights out of him, don't you?

Yeah. How futile is pounding on a corpse?

I just can't imagine how things got so screwed up. He had all the basics (wife who cares, two beautiful children, house, dogs, truck, was an experienced rough carpenter and roofer--both of which are crafts that there are always people hiring in--and some pretty good friends who've made sure when he had needs, they were met). He loved history and debate (to the point of pissing people off) and liked to laugh. I'll miss his laugh...and the tilted nod of his head when he was laughing too hard to reply. And I'll miss the enthusiasm he had for plotting.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

I just learned that he was a manic depressive--a fact that he even kept hidden from his wife (as he was diaghnosed as a teen)--and the quitting-smoking medication that they were on warned against being taken by manic depressives. That could have exacerbated matters.
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 

Sorry is inadequate but it's what I can offer.

This stuff never makes sense. It leaves those of us who are stuck behind wondering "What if" and angry and the person and ourselves for it happening.

Manic Depression (Bipolor disorder) is a tough one. It's really hard to medicate and when it goes wrong, it does so in fairly dramatic ways.

Our thoughts and prayers for you and your friends.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow that sucks dude, I wish you better luck next time.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

No matter how hard we might try, and as writers we try mighty hard I think, you just never know what's going on inside someone else's head. My DH's family is still reeling from his brother's suicide 12 years ago (7 weeks before our wedding.) How did it get so bad? Who knows. We didn't have to live his life.

In your friend's situation it sounds like things just went downhill too fast to fix. Add in a volatile situation and some weaponry and it was explosive. Things might have been different if he hadn't had the gun or if the cop didn't try so hard or...they might not have been. The what-ifs are hard to process, hard to own, hard to live with.

My DH's family is still doing the what-did-we-do-wrongs with BIL's decision to take 47 tylenol (not a good idea, in case anyone was curious. Just enough to kill you slowly. It took a week for him to die.) I guess one thing I've learned in the twelve years is that you just don't know what is going on in someone else's head, and that person owns their decisions, nobody else does. It took DH a long time to stop thinking if only he had called more often, stayed more connected... But he didn't make the decision, BIL did and BIL suffered the consequences. I wish he were still here so I could slap him silly for the anguish he has caused his parents and brothers and sister.

Anyway, I'm sorry again. I hope maybe the knowledge of his illness might help his wife (and all of you affected by this) make sense of his final actions, at least at some point in the future.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

47 tylenol? What a horrid, agonizing way to die. With something that slow couldn't he be saved by getting his stomach pumped, or something? (I've never heard of such a slow suicide before. Most people like it to be over in an instant, not wanting to relish in the effect they know--on some level--it will have on the people they still care about.)
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

I'm not sure KayTi wants to relive that by telling us the details, especially perhaps if that's one of the what-did-we-do-wrongs, so in case she doesn't, here's Wikipedia on the subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tylenol

And at the manufacturer's website it says "Overdose warning: Taking more than the recommended dose (overdose) may cause liver damage." It doesn't say it will hurt.

http://www.tylenol.com/product_detail.jhtml?id=tylenol/headbody/prod_ex.inc&prod=subpe x#

It's a painkiller, so I doubt that people who choose to kill themselves with it expect pain.

Pat

[This message has been edited by TaleSpinner (edited August 07, 2008).]

KayTi
Member # 5137

He was 20 and stupid. He didn't *really* want to die, is my opinion. But he waited too long to tell anyone what he did (6 hours we think.) Then the stomach pumping and treatment for overdose had little effect (lots of smelly rotten-egg black tar vomit is what I remember.) His liver went by the next day. He was epileptic and already had iffy liver function from years of hard-on-your-liver drugs. He was on the transplant list for a few days, but told the psyches he wasn't willing to take the meds to prevent rejection of the donated liver. Then he went into a coma. Then he bled into his brain. Then his DNR went into effect and he died in a room full of people crying for him. 6 days after he made a really stupid decision.

We found the note during the week while he was in a coma. His parents still don't believe that he did it on purpose. I know he did, but I'm sure he wasn't thinking through the consequences at all.

Anyway - sorry to thread-jack, IB. I just feel for where you are - I felt like a spectator to the whole thing although it was happening to my almost-family. I see some similarities in the situation you're in with your friend, close but not in the family, near but not near enough to know this truth. It sucks. It's hard even to grieve, because who are you? You're just a friend, a not-quite relative. Sorry, I'm projecting - but I feel for what you're going through.

Zero
Member # 3619

KayTi, like any morbidly curious person I appreciate the details because I have this compulsive obsession to know everything about anything. So thank you.

However, I'm very, very sorry to drag out all of the details because, like Talespinner said, it wasn't something I wanted you to relive. I just wasn't thinking. I'm sorry.

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

I'm close to someone who's manic depressive. Like your friend, Rich, he kept it from his wife for decades, goodness knows how, especially with all the medication he uses to control it. (He told her recently, because they hit a crisis together and he decided to enlist her help. She's happier now she understands his mood swings.)

Trouble is, he daren't control it completely with medication because that destroys the manic part which also fuels his talent as an innovative, well-paid consulting engineer. If the manic part goes, so does the fat salary that the family depend upon.

On the other side, depression amplifies problems in his head, such that they can appear insurmountable. When things get real bad, he's unpredictable, potentially violent, either towards himself or anyone who happens to be around--it's a blind, hitting out kind of violence, not targetted. I saw it once: in a rage he hit a wall hard and hurt his hand. Broke some stuff too. I thought he might hit me as well, but I knew it was blind rage, not something personal with me. Maybe, I don't know but maybe, the gun with your friend's wife and family was blind rage too?

Pat

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

The more I learn about it, the more I'm convinced that the medication had a reaction in him. It's an "Under no circumstances" warning, because it might cause violent hallucinations and suicidal behavior. The guy I knew, the guy most of us knew, was NOT who was shot that night. In fact, his wife says that he started having problems when they started taking the medication. Nobody knew about his diagnosed condition, it was something he kept hidden from everyone except for his mother (who I would have thought would warn his wife).

I feel like I've been hit hard--real hard--in the gut, and it's knocked the strength out of me.

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Sorry, I've been zoning and missed this topic. Sorry to hear that, IB.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kathyton
Member # 7780

- posted      Profile for kathyton   Email kathyton         Edit/Delete Post 
IB -- Sorry for your troubles. Take care of yourself, in addition to taking care of everyone else.

and KayTi, that's a terrible burden that I know still hurts.

K---

Posts: 195 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
IB

sounds like you and your wife were the best friends someone that family could have.

accept the anger; it's rational and expected to be angry with a friend for committing suicide. which is what he did, especially if he read the warning on the other medication; which he most likely did.

doesn't make it better, easier, or anything else, but now is the time to deal with your own family's pain and hurt, before the violence that ended your friend's life damages your own.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry about your loss, IB - I just saw this post.

I had a close family member commit suicide a few years back. Whether your friend's death was a suicide or not, it was definitely senseless.
It does get easier. I know it's a cliche, but time does heal wounds. However, you'll always have a scar - a sense of absence and a longing to see that person walk through the door with a smile or a joke.
For now, be angry, be sad, consider all the what-ifs, and remember him - the good and the bad. All these emotions serve a purpose - they help us forgive and they help us to keep going.

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited August 11, 2008).]

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Thanks to you all for your condolences. This Friday, I've got to speak at his wake. (I really don't like public speaking--as I'm sure you all have noticed--and it will be twice as tough in this instance.)
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
You'll do a terrific job. What does one speak about at a wake?
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

I use "wake" loosely. There isn't going to be an actual funeral, and given the cirumstances, his body's going to be cremated. So it's just a gathering...
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Talk about the good times, the happy times. Remind everyone of the things that made him so great to be friends with.
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear IB,

My condolences to you, your wife, and your friends family. I hope your friend can rest in peace and you and everyone else can find peace. I really feel for you and hope you have nothing but good news for a very long time.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Thanks for the well-wishes, snapper. I've been grinding my brain all week about what Eulogy I will give. I have an idea, but I haven't set it to print, yet.
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Well it's over. It was harder than I expected, and yet easier, too. I didn't give the speech, but did give those who needed it my typed eulogy. His mother and wife found it to be much more personal. My wife gave her eulogy, and I applaud her courage--it nearly tore her apart to do so. It was moving, and we heloped his wife gather some things for herself and the children (she's moved back to her father's house, out of state), and looked through their wedding pictures with her. That was hard--harder still because I was the Best Man.
Zero
Member # 3619

It seems that life is not only stranger than fiction, but harder than fiction also.
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago I used to work with a man who had been awarded the purple heart for bravery in battle. He would much rather not own the medal or the experiance. When you square off with death like that it does something to you - something I doubt others can fully grasp.

Our thoughts are with you and your family.

Tracy and Gina

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.