Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Riddle me dee

Author Topic: Riddle me dee
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I asked Reagansgame's character a riddle in the character interview thread. She got it wrong so I am inviting all to take a crack at it.

quote:
Sue met a man at her mothers funeral. After talking to him for quite awhile she concluded that he was her 'soul mate'. She felt that he was the man for her however they didn't exchange numbers, she didn't ask for his name, and has no idea on how to contact him.
Three days later Sue murdered her sister.
Why?

Now this riddle has all the info you need to solve it. I will only let you know what the answer is once someone solves it (there is a reason for it).
Take as many shots at it as you like but only like minded people are capable of coming up with the answer.
Good luck

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited September 08, 2008).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Snapper -
What if someone gets it too soon and ruins it for everyone else? - It would kill me.
Well, then, maybe we could contact you some other way - how about email? Is that OK?

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have the solution, but I know the funeral is an important characteristic...

Just can't remember why. I know I've seen this one or one like it before.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
You'd have to be a psychopath to figure that one out.

Tracy

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

I have gotten two emails this morning. At least one is correct. Would you like me to post the answers and who wrote them?
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
I've gotten an answer, so maybe wait a while, let some other people have a go first. I'll e-mail mine to you when I get a minute.
Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reagansgame
Member # 8149

- posted      Profile for Reagansgame   Email Reagansgame         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! I didn't get it wrong! Sam Kent did.

(Yes, I have considered that maybe I'm taking this too far.)

Give me a sec. Don't post answers for at least a day or so, please.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Okay. I got four emails with answers (one from KDW herself, glad to see you participate )
I will post the answers tommorow. So have at it if you have a guess.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I misunderstood your previous post.

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited September 10, 2008).]

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

I will post thye answer in three or so hours so send me your answer by then if you have one
snapper
Member # 7299

Time's up!

The riddle is more of a logic puzzle, the answer is a simple one. So simple that if it took time for you to solve it, you are wrong even if you answered it right. First let me post some of the wrong answers.

Aspirit

quote:
I think the answer to the riddle on Hatrack is: Sue's brother-in-law

nope

Darklight

quote:
Many years earlier, Sue and her sister had a huge fight, and they never saw each other again. Years later, their mother dies, and at the funeral Sue gets talking to a man who she believes to be her soul mate. Later, she finds out this man is her sister’s husband, and in order for them to be together, Sue kills her sister.

Wow. A lot of thought into that one but it's wrong as well.

Annepin

quote:
The man was the funeral director or a mortician? She killed her sister so she could go to another funeral and meet him again.

On the right track but wrong. If he was the funeral director all Sue would have needed to do is knock on the funeral home door.

Kathleen Dalton-Woodbury

quote:
She killed her sister so there would be another funeral and she would see him again?

He wasn't the undertaker/mortician or the minister because she wouldn't need to have a funeral to find him.

He may have been the gravedigger or the coffin maker because he would only show up if there actually were a funeral, or he may have been the cremator if there were no coffin.

Very good, KDW, however you found it important to identify the man. That wasn't important but yours was the second email I got. So I am going to qualify yours as correct.

Then there was my first email.

WouldBe

quote:
So he'd come to her sister's funeral and meet up with him

Absolutely correct.

Now Johnny, tell them what they won.

Congratulations! You have shown to have a similar trait associated with serial killers! A test much like this was developed by criminal psychologist to test the pathological behavior of suspected people.
Most people would attempt to think of a motive involving the man in the story and how he was related to others in the riddle (he was involved with his sister, was in co-hoots with his sister to kill her mother, had some other past involving the family) all which were irrelevant to this puzzle.
However a serial killer that looks at life cheaply and thinks of murder as a logical solution to get what they want come up with that answer as easily as why did the man open his umbrella when it started to rain?

So, even though Annepin answered it correct, she is off the hook for qualifing her answer (but were still going to keep an eye on you).

As far as for the other two free thinkers, I would like say that even though WouldBe's answer came to me 45 minutes after I posted it, I don't believe that either you or KDW have such pathological tendencies, your just a little smarter than the rest of us.

But I would like to say that WouldBe is the very best writer on hatrack and we should congratulate him and Kathleen Dalton-Woodbury or as she is also-known-as SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED!
or else!

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited September 10, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited September 11, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited September 12, 2008).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, shucks.

I've just read a lot about serial killers (including books by the guys like John Douglas and Richard Rennsler who helped develop FBI profiling and such). Heck, I've even read the FBI's crime classification manual.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
Snapper, the one you atribitued to LAJD was my answer. I'm admitting that even though the answer was wrong!
Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Whoops!

So it was, sorry a few people didn't give me their hatrack name in their emails. Fixed it.

WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe writers are just chicken-s* serial killers. Mr. King?

Anywho, it's a lot easier winning an honor than deserving it.

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

There goes my guess. I thought she had been "talking to" a dead man whom she had decided was her "soul mate." They couldn't have exchanged numbers because his number was up. I had assumed she killed her sister to get him to call on her. I must be especially warped.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Risky conclusion---the "soul mate" might've been a friend of the mother, but not necessarily a friend of the sister or the family---and if he was friendly enough to go to Sue's mother's funeral, why wouldn't Sue know of him, if not know him?
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

I thought she had fallen in love with a man who was already dead, who happened to be lying in his coffin at the same funeral parlor as her mother. The words snapper used were ambiguous enough to suggest to me that the man was not alive.
Since she was obviously disturbed, I thought she was using her sister as a "go between."

tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, glad I didn't get that right
Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.