Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Tumult and Tin

Author Topic: Tumult and Tin
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I have had a tumultuous two months since I’ve joined Hatrack. I had some medical problems when I first started. Within a few weeks, I changed shifts at my work, a group home for teenagers, and about a month later, the dapper young gentlemen surrounded me at 2 in the morning and threw furniture and literally kicked down the office door. I gave my notice without having a job waiting. Afterwards, my organization offered me another position with higher pay. And now I am working longer hours with younger children and have quite a bit of paperwork and not much time to write. On top of everything, next week is my 10th wedding anniversary (tin/aluminum) and my wife wants a new car – her current one is very nice and only two years old. On the positive side, I have not been pummeled by any hurricanes. I suppose congratulations and condolences are in order.

Oh, and I forgot - my dog ate my John Deere lawn tractor.

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited September 13, 2008).]

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, philocinemas. Tumult is the right word. I hope things settle down for you soon.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow you are swamped. That's crazy. I hope things can settle down for you soon. Good luck on your 10th anniversary. 10 years is awesome. I have two more years before I get there.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, cool dog.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
The dog actually did about $200 worth of damage, mostly cables and wires. There's even a tooth mark on the battery cable - I'm guessing that's when he decided to stop.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
It's very hard to find a job that makes you want to go in and makes you sorry when you have to leave. I think writing would have filled it for me, but I never made any money at it---now I do it for its own sake, that and it has too tight a grip on me to let it go.

I work for the post office, so I live with the threat of violent death hanging over me every time I go in---but mostly it's petty irritation. Just last night I got chewed out, by a supervisor who's worked in the building about two or three months, for walking through an automatic door I've been walking through for almost fifteen years. A bogus "safety hazard" issue, all us senior people thing---and why is it that I never hear a word about these "safety hazards" until I'm being chewed out about it?

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Get her a novelty tin sheriff's badge. She'll LOVE it.
Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

My last job, before the group home, my manager through a stapler at me.
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow,PC. You sure do bring the best out of everyone and everything.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
How'd I wind up with a "g" where a "k" should be in my last post? Talk about irritation...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard about a bulldog who chewed her way through a chain-link (also known as hurricane) fence, but never about a dog eating a tractor. What kind of dog do you have philocinemas?
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

He's a 9-month-old black lab. He weighs about 70 lbs - before eating part of my tractor. I have a 30 lb dog that he lives in mortal fear of.

Snapper -

The guy had a real anger problem. He would crumple his metal frame eyeglasses whenever he got mad. He destroyed 2 pairs with me. After I left, he got fired for sexual harassment.

The kids were just a bunch of hooligans. Hopefully, they'll grow out of it.

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited September 15, 2008).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

A black lab, and only 9 months old? Wow. We had neighbors with a black lab years ago when we lived in Victoria, Texas. Big and scary, but really just a big, dumb sweetheart.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
mummmm John Deer tractors mummmmmmm

oh the delishiness of tracters.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I've been associated with dogs---not as actual owner, but I've taken care of them---who've chewed up lots of stuff over the years. Nothing like a John Deere, er, lawn tractor, but I don't find the idea improbable. (Just last week I bought a John Deere weedeater at the John Deere dealer...just this morning I used it for the first time...)
jkhodgepodge
Member # 8191

- posted      Profile for jkhodgepodge   Email jkhodgepodge         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, a black lab. Great dogs The vet said mine would stop chewing things when he was around two years old. That was a year and a half ago and my firewood pile is still dwindling into splinters which surround his dog house.

I have a chihuahua that keeps him in line most of the time. She hides his toys (by nosing dirt over them UGH).

Hope you have better luck in the future. At least your movies are good!

Posts: 34 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.