Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » And yet another Game...

Author Topic: And yet another Game...
Reagansgame
Member # 8149

- posted      Profile for Reagansgame   Email Reagansgame         Edit/Delete Post 
So, the next Futurama full-length is due for release Nov. 4, titled Bender's Game

Just got the youtube link for the trailer and couldn't help but wonder what OSC's take is on this? Quite blatantly a rip off but seems to have nothing to do with the concept of Ender's Game at all.

Personally, I'm excited, but that's just me. I have a tat of Bender.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faeRTHUSnxY

Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
It means the work of Orson Scott Card is now considered familiar enough to the world-at-large to merit a joke-parody title in "Futurama"...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt the use of [Name]'s Game usually has anything to do with OSC's Ender's Game. Even if someone wanted to associate their work with Card's, they would not be ripping him off unless their intention was to hurt Card or someone else by making the connection in readers' minds.

Anyway, I thought Ender's Game was a pun, based on the end game in chess.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reagansgame
Member # 8149

- posted      Profile for Reagansgame   Email Reagansgame         Edit/Delete Post 
Wikipedia says of Bender's Game:
quote:
The title appears to be a reference to the Hugo and Nebula award winning novel Ender's Game.

I think rip off was the wrong word. I'm giddy that the two world's have collided, myself. Futurama and Ender? My folks always used to tell me immitation is the highest form of compliment. Matt Groening must be paying Mr. Card a compliment, I thought it was neat.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
It looked to me that one scene of the movie resembled the Battleroom. The story has an obvious D&D storyline as well, with the kids using characters from LOTR. I think I see where this is going.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EP Kaplan
Member # 5688

- posted      Profile for EP Kaplan   Email EP Kaplan         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. This is a bona fide "Pop Culture Reference". Joy!
This is better than the "Giant's Drink" scene in Kingdom of Loathing.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. "Pop culture reference," that was the term I should've thought of when I was posting.

A Google search shows 1160 cross-references between "Ender's Game" and "Bender's Game." Most of the displayed comments assume "Bender's Game" derives from "Ender's Game." A couple seem to originate with the "Futurama" staff and state this as a fact. (Hatrack River, but not this particular thread, was on the "41-50" page.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, the pun was intentional. Futurama's executive producer told SCI FI Wire he'd waited for an appropriate time to use that title:
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=1&id=56890

(Robert, I have the curiosity of a cat, which tends to backfire. I read the Hatrack thread linked on the 41-50 page; the humor in that thread was painful. I am so happy to be in the Writers Workshop!)

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.