Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » OSC must read the topics here

Author Topic: OSC must read the topics here
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
I don’t really know if this belongs in open Discussions About Writing or Grits For the Mill.

I just finished reading Ender In Exile and realized that our beloved Orson Scott Card must read the posts here for some of the dialog and passages seem to have a few hints at some of the topics we have talked about here.

I found it ironic and rather funny for him to use some of the dialog, but he did it in a way that seems like it fits in the book. When I start to reread the book in a few weeks I will write down the pages so I have better information on my findings.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be curious about the actual passages, I haven't read that one yet. Funny to think.
Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little dubious. Loved Alvin Maker...but disliked Ender from the original get-go and haven't followed it after that, so I probably won't read this one, either. Any examples?
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dreadlord
Member # 2913

- posted      Profile for dreadlord   Email dreadlord         Edit/Delete Post 
an ender hater... among us... the infestation must die!

havent read ender in exile yet... hoping to get it for christmas... stupid brothers...

cool, to think that our dialogue is in an eder book, though.

Posts: 240 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seikari
Member # 8327

- posted      Profile for seikari   Email seikari         Edit/Delete Post 
Might it be a coincidence? o_o

Or is OSC reading this thread right now and laughing at our ignorance?

Hm... this is a question to ponder on a week without three finals and a paper to write. Er, good-bye.

Posts: 31 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love an example.

In the meantime I just assume that authors often reflect on the topics of the day when fashioning the dilemmas in their works, and since internet communities do the same in their own way, the two will coincide neatly. I'd hazard a guess that someone more widely read (and with more time!) than me could find any number of authors whose topics and/or dialogue tends to mirror what is discussed here.

As a related - barely - aside, I recently read Terry Pratchett's Thud! and found the themes he was satirising such as racism & bigotry very topical. It occurred to me this reflects very much the issues of the day.

[Edited to make it a little more readable]

[This message has been edited by BenM (edited December 01, 2008).]

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't care much for the Ender books once I got past ENDER'S GAME, but I just recently finished ENDER'S SHADOW and loved it. I can't wait to get my hands on the next book in that particular series.

That said; I absolutely loved the Alvin Maker books. They were the first one's I read by Mr. Card, and they still are my favorites of his works that I've read. I also liked his stand alone novels ENCHANTMENT and TREASURE BOX.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt he's burning his time here when books can be written and Civilization can be played.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
Quote-------- Might it be a coincidence? o_o
Or is OSC reading this thread right now and laughing at our ignorance? ------------end quote

Maybe, why doesn’t he just come forward and say to us..

“Yea I read the topics here and used some in my book.”
Or…

“You guys are nuts especially you Rommel Fenrir Wolf II, to think I read the topics here and use them in my books.”

What ever he dose or not it can all be considered a conspiracy. Or maybe I am just insane.

I am working on three more books at the moment and I have one more to read before I can start to reread Ender In Exile. So please give me at least till end of January.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Grits For the Mill.

lol

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
lol
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

I dont get it.

what are you loling about?

RFW2nd

Zero
Member # 3619

mmmmm ... we need a good ole fashioned "grit off" --- anyone else watch Colbert?
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read all the books in the Ender and Ender's Shadow series(expect for a few standalones). While I loved Ender's Shadow, I didn't care for the last in that series. It seemed shallow, heavy in dialog. It focused very little on Bean, who I cared about, while concentrating on too many other characters(especially viewpoint characters) that added nothing to the plot.

And though I loved the early Alvin series, it began to falter halfway through, and I could barely read the last one. And his latest short story anthology isn't as good as his first either.

With that in mind, I scanned the first chapter of Ender In Exile. Lots and lots of dialog. I wanted to like it, but in the end, decided not to get it.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems like really poor manners to me to use a man's stuff and then run him down - while using his stuff to do it.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, well. OSC uses a lot of dialog in his stories.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

That's interesting to me because I have been criticized by readers for both using "too much dialog" and "not enough".

I guess some people are more interested in action and events happening, while others are more interested in character interaction.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited December 04, 2008).]

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
debhoag,

I did not realize I was running him down. It was nothing about him as a person. And I love his work, just not in recent years.

This is primarily a writing group, and we give feedback to each other all the time. And as a critic of other people's published work, sometimes scathingly so, I believe he would/should understand--unless he be experiencing George Lucas Syndrome.

I think artists need honest feedback from their fanbase, rather than hear that they can do no wrong. Otherwise, they might become victims of their own success.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Is George Lucas Syndrome the inexplicable decrease in quality over time, or the inability to understand criticism?
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry. Although I haven't seen him put anything up for crit here.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

Zero,

Both. Inability to listen to feedback led to a further decrease in quality. Of course, if any of his crew had the guts to tell him that Jar Jar & robots that say, "Roger, Roger. Does not compute!" was a bad idea, he didn't listen. He did tone that down in Episode II and III, but then, of course, there were other problems.

debhoag,
Anyone who produces anything for public consumption should expect fair and perhaps unfair assessments of their works.

annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I dont get it.

what are you loling about?

RFW2nd

Sorry, buddy. The correct title of the forum is "G R I S T for the mill". You flipped the s and the t to get "grits", which was quite funny, as grits are, in fact, milled.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

Oh

I get it.

I cant help it I am dyslectic. But it is ok.

RFW2nd

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.