Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » So Is Everyone On Vacation?

Author Topic: So Is Everyone On Vacation?
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't think of anything to post yesterday...but didn't expect the boards to fall so silent between Friday night and now...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Xmas shopping, and wishing I'd done it sooner, as always. Finishing some chores before the vacation. Revising a couple of stories. Reading crisp new copies of Analog and Interzone. On writing, nothing to say right now ... it won't last long ...
Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sherpa7
Member # 8321

- posted      Profile for Sherpa7   Email Sherpa7         Edit/Delete Post 
Shoveling a little snow, keeping a fire in the woodstove, spending an extraordinary amount of time putting on enough layers of clothing to survive going outside. Baking lots of bread for gifts. Typical winter stuff. Also been typing the beginning of a novel that I started some years ago. But I could use a vacation.
Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm at work, having lunch before going back to finishing up year-end paperwok. My wife and son are at the skating rink.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a bunch of relatives here and am woefully behind on Xmas shopping.

We have radiant, in-slab heating via water pipes- one of them broke on friday night- so we dug, and repaired a 4ft hole in our kitchen this weekend.

My beloved dog, who had been pretty perky for a 12 yr old, took a precipitous plunge downhill last week and now is probably, but not certainly, dying. We are embroiled in a series of family discussions about next steps and hard decisions because its just not clear what's going on. The vet has been moderately helpful but she does not know either.

If I make it through this week, I will have things to write about. 8(

I wish all of you a peaceful and happy week. Hug your pets and your family.

Leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I spent the night at work, part of the morning buying hot Italian sausage to cook in the Christmas spaghetti sauce, another part of the morning unwinding in my parents' Jacuzzi (I do this every Monday), then part of the afternoon going through new DVDs of old "Saturday Night Live" episodes (new release, fourth season, back when the show was actually funny.) I don't even know if I'll have time to write, and I'm within striking distance of the end of the draft.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrajean
Member # 7664

- posted      Profile for Lyrajean           Edit/Delete Post 
Not, yet. School break starts on the 26th. Although I still have to go in on the 26th. Then we're off till the 5th. Japan doesn't celebrate Xmas although the Emperor gave us all a nice Xmas gift by being born on December 23rd (national holiday today) -sweet.
Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
scrambling to get stuff done at work before the holidays (we break from the 25 through the 2 of Jan), shopping, preparing the nest for family visitors, going to holiday parties, baking holiday things for people, and scheduling in visits with friends from out-of-town... and still trying to rework my WotF story!
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
The house is decorated. The wrapping is done. The baking is almost done. Tomorrow I may actually get to sit down and write for more than five minutes! Woo Hoo!
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I finished my Christmas shopping and wrapping yesterday. I have to finish a house cleaning---less of a burden than Thanksgiving cleaning, because I left things more or less like they were after Thanksgiving was over. Then it's on to cooking, putting the extra leaves in my table, and then serving everything in the evening and opening presents in the later evening.

Funny thing...our family used to do its Christmas present-opening early Christmas Morning, but at some point it all shifted to Christmas Eve. I've never been certain why...maybe my parents got too tired of doing it all that early? Or maybe just got too tired?

Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Vacation? I wish. Its funny October first a large shoe company seduced me away from my small, faltering shoe business. I took the job to set their distribution center up here in New Hampshire, and it has been nonstop since. They sent out the schedule for the days off for the holidays, Wednesday-Friday each of the next 2 weeks. Must be great, for them, no one told the truckers I had the time off. I recieved 14,000 pairs Tuesday, and have another 7,000 coming on Monday. SO vacation for me will be held for Christmas Eve evening, I will work til 2 today, then Christmas day, but back to work on Friday and at least 1 day this weekend, with same routine next week. But its a job and I can see the potentional of it being a long lasting, good job, but its just hectic until I clean up 4 years of the previous warehouses mistakes.

But with that said, my family is well, and the snow is flying, so I will spend all my free time with my little daughters snowmobling in the back forty and with whomever makes it up this way.

Happy Holidays All.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
I am thinking of taking a vacation from Hatrack, or at least from the active threads. I doubt anyone will miss me, and I can think about what I want to gain from the site.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Alas, my vacation, such as it is, ends Chirstmas Night---tonight---where I have to resume my schedule. The mail never stops, even on federal holidays. And, usually, it's twice as busy as normal the day after a holiday.

One piece of good news. Next week, I should have the identical situation---two regular days off, followed by the New Year's Day holiday---but without any need to do the Christmas stuff. Woo-hoo!

(I say "should" because management have a way of screwing things up---and screwing us over.)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.