Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Facebook and awkward social situations

Author Topic: Facebook and awkward social situations
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Like when your boss tries to friend you! Ack!
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
LOL

Or the creepy guy you remember from bio class...

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyraxis
Member # 7990

- posted      Profile for Pyraxis   Email Pyraxis         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually started my Facebook account intending it to be a professional page. I think I'd start a second page if I really wanted a personal one (which I don't - hooking up again with people I didn't get along with the first time around in grade school doesn't really appeal...). But I think it's fighting the tide to try and be professional on Facebook. LinkedIn works much better for that.
Posts: 188 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrajean
Member # 7664

- posted      Profile for Lyrajean           Edit/Delete Post 
I've had an ex-boyfriend from HS and a coworker who was very tied in with the boss who fired me (not sure about her involvement) put friend requests in...

What to do?

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I joined facebook under a false name. Good thing because if someone googles your name, your facebook page is one of the links that come up.

As far as I can tell, acknowledging someone as your friend is the equivalent of waving back to someone that is walking down the street. Being there friend doesn't mean you're required to take them out to dinner, or invite them to go camping in the southwest. :}

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
accept it then delete it a few days later. The only reason that they will even realize it is if they are really creepy. Then you have your justification anyway.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I am considering joining Facebook. I have several friends from college with whom I have lost touch. Anyone have any pros or cons?
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Philo, just join it and see who you can find and if you don't like it delete your account.

FB is loads of fun for me. I think it is particularly suited for people like me. I went to three different high schools (family moves) - including one 10k miles away from home. Those folks have since spread to the four winds and I lost track of most of them during the years in college when everyone moved every year. Forget to send out your "I've moved" notes (yes, I"m *that* old, before the ubiquity of email) and you'd lose track of people ... at the time it felt like forever. FB has helped me reconnect with all of them. Plus then two different jobs (where I wasn't just punching the clock but was good friends with the team I worked with,) mommy friends, some old-old family friends, my sisters, my favorite uncle, my teenage nieces, friends from volunteer work, and some extended business contacts. Yes, my FB interactions are meant to be casual and informal, so there are some I wouldn't friend on FB (but would connect with on Linked In, which is great for maintaining and extending a network) but for the most part I say whatever I feel like on FB. However, I've always been one who is ... I guess thoughtful is the word... about what I post online. I basically use the "if my mother read this would I be embarrassed?" litmus test. So far, so good.

But that creepy guy from bio... (it's a hypothetical, my "creepy guy from bio" equivalent is someone else) - well I've just sat on the invite for a long time waiting to see who else is friended to the person and to evaluate whether I want that connection.

I have been unfriended by someone from ages ago that took me by surprise. Not like we were destined to become New Best Friends these days, but it was a little odd to accept my friend request and then apparently unfriend me some time later. Just don't accept. It won't kill me, I have plenty of FB friends to validate my online existence, LOL.

I have also found the configuration settings in fb helpful - on the main newsfeed page you can click an icon to the right of any news item and choose "see more about this person" or "see less about this person." I believe you can also categorize how much of your information is available to someone else, but I haven't explored those options much yet.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
lol yeah pyraxis,

hard to feel like a professional environment when every two seconds an alert comes up "John needs you to join in the crusade against the vampires in Hell Blood RPG!"

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
We could make a Hatrack facebook group. It might be interesting to see who everybody is and where they come from?

For now you're just figments of my imagination existing in the mythical ethos of internet land.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We could make a Hatrack facebook group. It might be interesting to see who everybody is and where they come from?
For now you're just figments of my imagination existing in the mythical ethos of internet land.

According to KDW ther is already one going.

quote:
I am considering joining Facebook. I have several friends from college with whom I have lost touch. Anyone have any pros or cons?

Pros: Getting ahold of old friends

Cons: Getting ahold of old friends & wasting ireplacable amounts of valuable time

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyraxis
Member # 7990

quote:
lol yeah pyraxis,

hard to feel like a professional environment when every two seconds an alert comes up "John needs you to join in the crusade against the vampires in Hell Blood RPG!"

Actually where I work that goes over okay. But "OMG lulz I am so haaaaappy )))))))" and a zillion quizzes about what color rose and what style of sunglasses you are is just as bad.

Posts: 188 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a Hatrack River Writers Workshop group on Facebook.

You don't have to pay any attention to anything that you don't want to. I have what must be a gazillion requests to join some group or other, or to send somebody some silly thing or other. I only even consider those that I am interested in, and I ignore the rest. <shrug>

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny. I happened to have posted on FFO a humor bit on how to "defriend" or "unfriend" someone from your friends list. That post links to this NYT article.

I don't have any social-networking accounts, presently.

[This message has been edited by WouldBe (edited January 31, 2009).]

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear it's all the rage...but it's still something I'm not involved with. Besides, I've left enough fingerprints in the Internet sands to cause me grief somewhere down the line...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyraxis
Member # 7990

Just joined the Facebook Hatrack Writer's group (not to be confused with the Facebook Hatrack group). Cool.
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I joined facebook yesterday and the Writers Group as well. Snapper looks just like I pictured him...

Edited to add: Although, I thought he'd be showing more teeth.

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited January 31, 2009).]

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I like facebook. I joined and found all these old high school and college friends. I'm a bad friend and lost contact with most of my old friends, so it's been fun. I joined the hatrack writer group too.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

quote:
I joined facebook yesterday and the Writers Group as well. Snapper looks just like I pictured him...

That's me, a blond, brown eyed, handsome specimen. ALL the women want to hug me.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmieeRock
Member # 8393

- posted      Profile for AmieeRock   Email AmieeRock         Edit/Delete Post 
Or swat you with a newspaper
Posts: 72 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

*Lifts leg on AmieeRock*
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Bad dog! It's the doghouse for you!
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
I cope with awkward Web situations by giving them real-life equivalents. For example, choosing social networking Friends equals choosing wedding guest list (since I'm on Myspace and Facebook for personal, not professional, reasons).

My (now) husband and I paid for most of our wedding ourselves, so all of our choices went through a money filter. We kept the guest list relatively small (as in my husband has as many first cousins as we had guests). To be fair, we categorized our friends and family, then determined which categories we could invite. We received many complaints, but we figured anyone who didn't care about the grief the selection process caused us didn't deserve to come.

My filters for Myspace and Facebook are time and trust. Do I care enough to read their updates, or would I rather spend my time doing something else? Do I think they will use my information against me? If they argue about how I decide, then they don't deserve to be my Friend.

Also, just as some uninvited guests showed up at my wedding, some people I'm not entirely comfortable with show up on my Friends lists. If they want my company that much, and they're nice about it, then it's okay. My wedding guests behaved well, and so far, so have my Friends.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.