Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » poetry

Author Topic: poetry
dreadlord
Member # 2913

- posted      Profile for dreadlord   Email dreadlord         Edit/Delete Post 
well, tell me if this isnt the place for it, but I wrote a poem last night and wondered what you guys thought...

forever.
such a crazy word,
when the world keeps turning,
sometimes
so fast that you just cant stop.
but then
I look at you,
and I think that
my heart is right
that it isnt crazy
that the world stops turning
when were
together
forever.

just wondering... kinda lovesick right now, awkward situation, dont want her to know, so... Im letting myself out here.

Posts: 240 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
To better reflect one's times, I'm fonder of poems with rhymes, but not altogether---not necessarily better---to make up some pattern sublime.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
dreadlord, we really aren't a poetry publisher, even in the Grist for the Mill area.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
What if he's just looking for a crit to help him master his craft and has no interest in ever publishing any of these practice poems?
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

lol - nice one, Rob
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
If I write with rhyme and reason, be assured that it will not be coprighted in this season---I'll make it up right on the spot.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

I was going to shoot back with a witty rhyme-orient response but it just ended up as garbage. So let's pretend I managed it.
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Anything that we put up in the form of poetry in this forum will be considered a first publication.

I have a very nice 4-liner floating somewhere in the What is Literary? post about 8 months ago. It has amazing figurative undertones.

This is how I know, we are discouraged from doing so (rhyme completely intentional).

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

If you are looking for a crit of style and using a poem to do so that isn't the same thing as wanting a crit for this particular poem, with the intent to publish or sell the poem.
If I want people to give me feedback about the way I write poetry using a given example that is still helpful and completely unrelated to crits on how to improve my given poem for the purpose of publishing that poem.

I think the former should be allowed.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited February 19, 2009).]

dreadlord
Member # 2913

honestly, I was just looking for an opinion on whether to give it to the girl... Im not even sure she knows I exist...
Posts: 240 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
honestly, I was just looking for an opinion on whether to give it to the girl

quote:
Im not even sure she knows I exist

Then here's my opinion with a little bit of advice. It is a fine poem, BUT never give a girl that might not know you "exist" a poem with the word "forever" in it. Poems are fine, just consider your wording very carefully.

In all honesty, some tasteful flowers (not roses) sent in a glass vase would probably be more potent.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Philo is right. I like the poem, and would love it if my husband wrote it to me. So keep it for the future, but definitely talk to this girl. Maybe with one daisy. That's always nice and not overly frightening.
Be honest. You only live once and don't be afraid to tell her you like her, because you'll kick yourself if you never tell her. You never know what could happen. Which is what makes it exciting.
Good luck, and go get her!
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

quote:
In all honesty, some tasteful flowers (not roses) sent in a glass vase would probably be more potent.

I did this to (at best) mixed success many years ago. Instead I recommend trying to engage her in conversation (if the situation isn't too awkward) and begin getting to know her from there.

Zero
Member # 3619

But yeah... "forever" can be an extremely intimidating word.
dreadlord
Member # 2913

yeah... I did talk to her on saturday, and it turns out... well, you probably know already, Zero, but we have a date planned. gave her a lily, would have given her a cherry blossom, cause thats what shes named after (shes chinese) but thought it too much of a cliche. anyway, Im thinking a picnic and a movie. dont know which one, though. any suggestions?
Zero
Member # 3619

Err on the side of interactivity. Movies have always made bad first dates for me because, ultimately, they're not very good opportunities to get to know someone else in any kind of quality sense. Because most of the time you're not talking to each other or even looking at each other. But the picnic sounds really good, though.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited February 24, 2009).]

dreadlord
Member # 2913

thanks. you can tell that I have a lot of experience in this field. lol.
AmieeRock
Member # 8393

- posted      Profile for AmieeRock   Email AmieeRock         Edit/Delete Post 
WEll, I'm burning with curiosity, has the date happened yet, and if so, how did it go? Did you picnic? I haven't been out on a date in ages (with three little home-destructo kits to deal with, we never do ANYTHING), so I must live vicariously....
Posts: 72 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dreadlord
Member # 2913

well, the date went off without a hitch, and yes, we did picnic.

just so you know, the date was yesterday.

I took her to a nice spot in the desert that I had scouted out, we sat down, ate, talked, and then around six I took her home.

SHES AN ARTIST!!!!!! you should see some of her work... its amazing.

AmieeRock
Member # 8393

- posted      Profile for AmieeRock   Email AmieeRock         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you! I hope you go out again. You know apreciating her talents, like her art, is a sure way into a girls heart.
Posts: 72 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dreadlord, you're cute.
Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dreadlord
Member # 2913

thanks we have another date set up in about two weeks, the community college she goes to is throwing a luou, and were gonna go to that together.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I love to go to a luau. Grew up knowing a lot of Polynesians, and loving the food. My favorite is a Tongan dish called Lu Pulu. Yum!
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dreadlord
Member # 2913

if they have it, Ill bring you a cyber version.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.