Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » The Worm has Turned

Author Topic: The Worm has Turned
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I have had a recent run of good fortune. A few months ago I was approached by a friend and former coworker who suggested I should consider applying to the agency where she was working. She told me the pay was much better and there was considerably less paperwork. I initially declined, stating that I enjoyed what I did and the population with which I worked. However, as time passed and my caseload increased (along with my paperwork), I began to consider her suggestion.

The short and simple is that I will be starting a new position in one week. I will now carry a maximum caseload of 5-6 clients (half of what I have currently), I will see 2-3 clients a day (as opposed to 9-13), I will have at most 1/3 of the paperwork I currently am responsible for, I am told that I will no longer likely be hit, kicked, bitten, or have chairs thrown at me, the main office is 2 miles from my house as opposed to 35, and I got a $10K/yr raise. Hopefully, this will also allow me more time to write, which I haven't been able to do for some time.

On top of all of this, I just refinanced my house at a 4.23% fixed rate for 15 years. The new payment is only slightly higher than what I was previously paying, and considering I knocked 10 years off of the remaining length of my loan, I feel like I got a great deal.

I would like to assure everyone that I have had my share of misfortune over the last several years, so it is nice to see that the worm has turned.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! From someone who is still waiting for that turn. But it's good to hear that it does happen.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
This may seem like a pointless question, and I've got a pretty good idea of the answer, but...what is it that you do?
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Very good to hear.

Um, one question... You said bitten, kicked and chairs thrown at you... Oh. never mind.

Sounds like you made a good move. Good for you!

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! I'm glad for you. And I hope more time translates into more writing.
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you!
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a mental health counselor. I currently work with 5-7 year-olds with mild to severe mental health disorders. I have also worked in the past with teenagers with emotional and behavioral disorders (that was even more dangerous).

My new position is with adults. This will be my first time working with adults with mental disorders (other than some family members and when I sold cars), but I am told, from those I know who have already made the transition, that adults are much more genial. These same people were the ones who have encouraged me to take this position. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

Thanks, everybody.
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed your post. There is so much crappy news in the world, its great to hear someone had a truck-load of good stuff come their way. And that is a job that (despite it's sometimes rocky nature) has to have a high degree of personal satisfaction and feeling of accomplishment. So good for you, you probably deserve good things.
Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Should'a added my congratulations once my question was answered, too. Congratulations.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
That very same worm is starting to turn for my husband and I, too. He's been unemployed for about 21 months, and my income alone won't come close to meeting the bills. I'm surprised we've made it this long to be perfectly honest. We live in Indiana, and there are no jobs to be had anywhere. It doesn't help that my husband has several health maladies and is in his mid 50's (as am I).

My husband has been working through vocational resources (a government agency that specializes in finding jobs for people with special problems such as medical or physical). They finally suggested that he try for disability. I figured why not? It couldn't be any worse than trying to find a job. So we're keeping our fingers crossed and preparing to run the normal gauntlet.

Anyway, the fuel bill was late in coming. Come to find out, we didn't have to pay for the month of May and our fuel budget will drop around $25 a month! Yayyy! Then the vet bill for my horses' annual vaccinations and examinations came out $75 less than usual. Hey, we're on a roll!

Then my place of employment started to do some major reorganized of job classifications. They just got rid of one of these and combined them into others. Actually, this is a good thing. The other classifications pay more. We've been told that my classification won't change, but our union contract is up a year from this July. They have just taken part of my duties and given them to another classification. What's to say that my current job won't be absorbed when the old contract runs out? So I decided to bite the bullet and put my bid in for a higher paying classification now instead of waiting for the other shoe to drop. I was interviewed for the position just last Thursday and am now waiting to see what happens. The new job will pay around $3.25 an hour more than I'm making now. It won't get us entirely out of the red, but it'll sure help.

Also, my husband didn't get the last unemployment extension mainly because it didn't get passed. Guess what? He starts that 20 week extension this week.

So between my possible new job within my company along with my husband's unemployment extension, we should now be able to survive into the year 2011. Hopefully, he'll be on disability by then and our problems will be solved.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

That's great news, Crystal! Good luck with everything. Let us know how it all turns out.
eslteacher
Member # 8640

- posted      Profile for eslteacher   Email eslteacher         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this thread and I am happy for those of you who have found good things happening in your lives. Thanks for sharing them, it makes the day better when we can rejoice with those upon whom good things have fallen.
Posts: 27 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Just thought that I'd let everyone know that I didn't get the job promotion. From what I heard on the grapevine, there were at least three other people more qualified than I am that applied. I haven't seen the job changes posted yet. That will either be today or sometime early next week. At least I still have a job, and that's the most important thing.

My husband goes in for his disability physical tomorrow. So there's still hope.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

Sorry to hear about you not getting the promotion. I hope things go well for your husband at the disability physical.
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

I waited to say anything about this until I knew it was official. We got the letter of confirmation just a couple days ago and should be receiving the bulk check soon.

MY HUSBAND QUALIFIED FOR DISABILITY!!!
I'm not thrilled that he's disabled, but am jumping up-&-down excited that we can keep our home and our animals! I haven't slept so well in months! And get this...
THAT LUMP SUM CHECK WILL BE MORE THAN ENOUGH TO PAY OFF OUR HOUSE!

It's almost too hard to believe after all this time. We will be able to meet our bills and pay our debts... EVERY MONTH! I haven't felt this good in a looooooonnnnngggg time .

jayazman
Member # 2818

- posted      Profile for jayazman   Email jayazman         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay, Crystal!
I'm very happy for your good fortune (the money, not your husband being disabled).
I too hope to someday be able to pay my debts and pay all the bills. On time.

Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome Crystal. May things continue to go in your favor...
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

Great news, Crystal! I'm glad for you and your family (and all the critters you house).

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.