Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Non-Random Musings... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Non-Random Musings...
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Each musing must somehow morph from the previous musing into something new.

I'll begin:

Yes, although I may begin this, I would like mention something I didn't begin--the heatwave in the UK. Too humid by half.

(See what I did? Didya?)

edited to edit.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited July 02, 2009).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff M
Member # 7828

- posted      Profile for Jeff M   Email Jeff M         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(See what I did? Didya?)

F***ed up the italics tag?

ahem...

There are two drawers in my refrigerator, one with a dial set at low humidity and one with the dial set at high humidity. I can never remember which vegetables are supposed to go in which drawer, so I just throw them into either drawer depending on where there's room.

Edited to add, he fixed the italics tag.

[This message has been edited by Jeff M (edited July 02, 2009).]

Posts: 159 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

There's room in Australia, I believe...

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
My inlaws just got back from Austalia. They brought back something for everyone, except for me (not sure if that is a bad sign or just an oversight). However they got my seven year-old son three things: a t-shirt, a tiny volcano that foams, and a boomerang. Guess which one I commandeered (and no, I'm not walking around in a very tight t-shirt right now).
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
As someone living in Australia, I find a volcano gift somewhat ironic - we don't have volcanoes here.
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to change my post because Ben M beat me too the punch. How ironic.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited July 02, 2009).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
I am under doctor's orders to lose weight. So far, I've managed to lose 10 pounds in 15 weeks.

And I don't even eat fast food. The nearest I come is a sandwich from the Italian deli once in a while.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff M
Member # 7828

Best sandwich I ever had: the pulled pork at Fat Boys BBQ Ranch in Prattville, Alabama. Mmmmmmm... a side of baked beans, a big glass of sweet tea and peach cobbler for dessert. <Homer drool>

Let's see, if I hop in my car right now, I could be in Alabama in about 17 or 18 hours.

Posts: 159 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
That puts a new twist on the song, "Sweet Home Alabama".
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I had to change my post because Ben M beat me too the punch. How ironic.

That's just the kind of thing you've got to expect in a non-random thread.

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
A non-random posting thread won't be interesting if it doesn't have ironic twists and turns.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devnal
Member # 6724

- posted      Profile for Devnal   Email Devnal         Edit/Delete Post 
I twisted my 9 iron golfing yesterday; hows that for an ironic twist and turn?
Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff M
Member # 7828

If you take the word "ironic" and replace the "ic" with an "a", you get Irona, which was the name of Richie Rich's robot maid.

(just because it's non-random, doesn't mean it can't be random)

philocinemas
Member # 8108

Rosie was the Jetson's robot maid.
skadder
Member # 6757

I read a Hienlien book where these kids do a survival course on a an alien planet via a stargate. The MC is warned before he goes by the Professor (of Survival...yeah, cool!) to watch out for the 'stobor'. He never actually meets any 'stobor' as the professor made them up, just to keep the boy on his toes.

Stobor is 'robots' backwards. Intentional or not, what do you think?

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Tunnel in the Sky is the Heinlein novel ("Heinlein" spelled that way) that Skadder mentions...and I never noticed that "stobor" was "robots" spelled backwards until somebody, probably Skadder, mentioned it somewhere on these boards.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy word scramble puzzles and can often see, just by looking at scrambled letters, what the original word was.

I think it was noticing that stobor was "robots" spelled backwards that led me to reversing letters of any weird word I come across (usually just in science fiction or fantasy--and even more usually in unpublished manuscripts--because in other literature, weird words are recognizably just words in another language). They don't always turn out to be something spelled backwards, but they do often enough to support the "habit" of looking for them.

Besides reading words backwards, I can also read text upside down.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I read once that the names of the villains in Heinlein's The Number of the Beast were all anagrams of his name, his wife's name, his pen names, and so on. I never read the whole thing cover-to-cover...I'd rate it as his least penetrable book, though a couple of other later ones come close.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

For those that submitted to it, your stories will be released to you in the Heinlein contest, that had a deadline of over a year ago, on the 7th of July.
So frustrating feeling your work went it a black hole, No reponse other than a 'we got it' long ago.
Here's hoping someone gets the shock of there life on tuesday.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of black holes, the Large Hadron Collider still hasn't produced one to suck the world into. Do people just love finding an end of the world scenario for any situation or what?
Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnMac
Member # 8472

- posted      Profile for JohnMac   Email JohnMac         Edit/Delete Post 
Shouldn't we love finding end of the world scenarios? Aren't those some of the most exciting stories, novels, and movies- how to avoid/avert such cataclyms?

Now I'm not mongering for the end of the world, but gee if that's not drama....what is?

Posts: 114 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

It never fails to amaze me that people will jump all over the most convient 'end of the world' hysteria to come along. Computer millenia disaster, collider, the planetary aliment thing a few years ago, coment tail, and every year is the year when the anti-christ is going to show up.
The latest is the 2012 Mayan calendar. Some stone age culture that happened to have a knack for astrology ran out of room for their future predictions and now EVERYTHING is going to come to an end because of it. Please.
So its the solar systems time to cross the plantary plane of the galaxy, so what? Doesn't mean we're going to be fried by cosmic rays from the galatic center. Cosmic rays don't travel in a specific line. Crossing the plane is going to have a lesser effect than a lunar eclipse. The only difference is it is a rarer event.
Sorry, world isn't going to end. Get used to continuing your dismal lives.

Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sorry, world isn't going to end. Get used to continuing your dismal lives.

Gee. And I was hoping things would be looking up by then.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

Truth be told, I think a lot of people turn to end of the world scenarios as an escape from their dismal lives (sad, though, that a disaster of that magnitude is something they almost look forward to).

I know quite a few people who believe in it to the point that they're stockpiling supplies and preparing a "bolt hole" for when it actually goes down. These are smart, well-rounded people who are active in their communities and go to church every Sunday. I think it's more of a hobby for them, because in between detailing some bizarre government plot related to global vaccinations that's due to happen any day now, they'll cheerfully talk about plans for a vacation next summer.

Hey, I suppose there are crazier hobbies.

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
Like writing?
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devnal
Member # 6724

- posted      Profile for Devnal   Email Devnal         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I skimmed through some stuff on the Mayan calendar last week because i wanted to know why 2012. From my skimming its seems to be that either the end of the world is 2012, or, like, 32,000,000 ...
Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

If the Mayans knew the world would end in 2012, how did they know? Might as well be a Stephen King novel for all the logic and reason in it.
DWD
Member # 8649

- posted      Profile for DWD   Email DWD         Edit/Delete Post 
They were picked up in Chariots of the Gods and were filled in on stuff like that by Ancient Astronauts while taking a gander at giant nonsensical pictures of spiders and scorpions from high above the plains of Nazca.
Posts: 88 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

I'm pretty sure peyote comes into the picture somewhere too.
philocinemas
Member # 8108

Since this thread doesn't seem to be morphing, here's my two cents:
quote:
...the planetary ali[gn]ment thing a few years ago...

Snapper, if memory serves me right, that was 1982. Were you trapped in cryogenic freeze for "a few years"? - That was 27 years ago!

Anyone ever heard of Edgar Whisenant? For every 88 reasons why the world is going to end, there are 89 reasons why it won't.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I remember Doonesbury calling it "the Moronic Convergence." Of couse I don't read that strip anymore. ('Taint easy 'cause it's right above Mallard Fillmore in the paper.) Trudeau's arrogance in 2008 frosted my shorts...
snapper
Member # 7299

You have me intrigued Robert. I don't get a regular paper anymore so I don't read the comics like I used to do. What was the arrogant thing that happened with Trudeau?

Speaking of Mallard Fillmore...

As a self-described Libertarian, I am more sympathetic to the conservative point of view but they really have a wooden sense of humor. A comic strip like Doonesbury runs circle's around MF. You can disagree with me but I have the irrational wrath reaction to back me. Politically inspired humor is most effective when they anger the opposing point of view. No one gets angry at Mallard Fillmore. The strip has never been able to strike a nerve, only groans.

snapper
Member # 7299

quote:
Snapper, if memory serves me right, that was 1982. Were you trapped in cryogenic freeze for "a few years"? - That was 27 years ago!

It was? I wonder what sort of ailment I was suffer from?

I believe 1982 is when the hysteria started. The great alignment I was talking about was at the beginning of this decade. All the outer planets that were lining up behind us were supposed start a chain of massive earthquakes because of us being in the center of a gravitational tug of war. The government even took a couple of precautions just in case. Nothing happened.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited July 07, 2009).]

DWD
Member # 8649

Wow. The words "government" and "precautions" in the same sentence. Impressive...
Posts: 88 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, strictly speaking, it's political, and we're not supposed to talk politics, but...back before the November 2008 election, it was reported that Trudeau prepared strips for post-election use that assumed Barack Obama would win the election. No alternates in case John McCain won, just that one scenario.

Now, up till the election nobody---nobody---could've known Obama would win. His margin of victory wasn't that large---a million votes or so in a couple of places and it wouldn't've happened. It might have been likely, but it wasn't certain.

(It's hardly the only example of Trudeau's arrogance. How many times has he bailed on covering things, often in the middle of events he should be covering, and let the strip run repeats? Then there's also his denial of using others to write and draw the strip---he's hardly unique in this way (remember Al Capp?) but it's just one more thing I don't like.)

Whatever I think of his politics---and my opinion of them is low---I've just had enough. I will read no more Doonesbury forever.

JohnMac
Member # 8472

- posted      Profile for JohnMac   Email JohnMac         Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly enough this does remind me of another wonderful incident where someone thought they knew the outcome and was proven wrong- anyone remember the old photo of the man holding up the newspaper announcing "Goldwater Wins?"

Posts: 114 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of newspaper, how much life do you think is left in that venerable institution?

When today's youth grow up getting their news from iphones or mobile internet or twitter I expect the world of journalism they'll be controlling in the future would be almost incomprehensible to us today.

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
We've never had the newspaper come to our house. I get all my news from the internet, though more and more I'm thinking I'd like to have the paper. I don't think the newspaper will last many more decades, but I think journalisma will last. It will just be in a different format.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

The alignment was in the late 90's (or later). At least I remember reading about in the paper.

Read this science paper...

http://www.nasca.org.uk/Strange_relics_/alignment/alignment.html

...science paaper may be a little inaccurate.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I think JohnMac is thinking of the picture of Harry Truman holding up a Chicago newspaper (I forget which one) that said "Dewey Defeats Truman." This is it, if the link works.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/blogs/michael_coles/dewey_defeats_truman.jpg

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

My relationship with the local newspapers has been kind of off-and-on. One time, I didn't read one regular for about four years when they dropped my favorite comic strip (this was in the days before I could find just about anything on the Internet).

Right now, I look through the stories, read what's interesting, then cut out the New York Times crossword puzzle and take it to work to do while on breaks. (This is the only use I have for the Times).

A long-term project of cutting out strips from the paper and pasting them in spiral notebooks came to an end this year. Some strips were dropped...another changed beyond recognition...and recent format changes in the paper itself keeps putting strips I like in different positions on different days of the week, sometimes on opposite sides of a single sheet, making it impossible to cut them out properly.

I still intend to paste strips in spiral notebooks, but from computer printouts. This is also hard, because I like to have matching notebooks, and it is very hard to find the same brands and colors from year to year. Nobody has the same ones. I like "Mead" notebooks, but can't find them around.

(Pasting in notebooks? Well, I like to reread strips from time to time, not everybody publishes their strips in books (and often years behind the current stuff when they do), and online access to archives is somewhat limited. Besides, I have little to interfere with my strange personal habits in my private life, like a wife and kids that would take up time and money...)

Natej11
Member # 8547

Newspapers exist as a medium to provide comics for professors to put on their doors. True story.

Only thing I ever really had to do with newspapers for was Dave Barry's columns.

Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
When I moved, I selected the newspaper we subscribed to because it had the Modesty Blaise comic in it, and the other didn't.

Neither of them has it now, of course, but when it stopped appearing, I didn't change papers.

Of the comics I read now, probably Sherman's Lagoon is the one I enjoy most often.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DWD
Member # 8649

Pearls Before Swine is my current favorite comic.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

A guy named Mark Tatulli puts out two comics...I followed him from Heart of the City to Lio...but, though Lio is one of the "hot ones" right now, I prefer Heart.
Natej11
Member # 8547

Dilbert.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I have a lingering dislike for Get Fuzzy, if that's what it's called---adventures of a dog and cat and their "owner." I never really took to the characters or the art.

And, besides, right after the death of Charles Schulz the local paper replaced it with Get Fuzzy. Boy, that bit...Charlie Brown and Snoopy and the gang not cold in their graves, and here they were replacing it...

snapper
Member # 7299

I enjoyed the clever strips that provided great commentary on todays society. Calvin and Hobbes was the master of that. The Far Side was a close second.

One of my favorite Farside strips, Gary Larson drew overnight and it made the editorial sections of newspapers nationwide. The Chicago river broke through a dike and flooded all the downtown highrises basements. The next day a single paneled strip showed a cow with a jackhammer chipping through the wall of an underground tunnel. The caption below read...

Mrs O'Leary's cow's descendant fulfills her destiny

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Anybody besides me think that Berke Breathed ("Bloom County," "Outland," "Opus") has retired from cartooning too many times now?
Natej11
Member # 8547

Considering my interest in those comics, maybe he should go ahead and stay retired next time.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.