Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Word Loop - an exercise like non-random but less random than the non-random thread

Author Topic: Word Loop - an exercise like non-random but less random than the non-random thread
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the intent of this thread is to be less random than the non-random thread.

I'm one of the staff readers at Flash Fiction Online (shameless plug - check out our July issue, recently posted. The Call is my favorite story, though Love Bound is one of those really haunting stories that many people are talking about/thinking about long after reading it.) We have a regular column from Bruce Holland Rogers.

A few months ago while preparing a topic for the middle-school Writer's Workshop I led, I found BHR's post on Word Loops. And the concept just fascinated me, the idea of using structure as a way to free your mind.

So a word loop is the perfect kind of pass-around party game. Each sentence needs to start with the last word of the previous sentence. Let's say no more than about 5 sentences per poster (or just one, which will make it interesting but you might not get the sense of how challenging it is.)

Everybody ready?

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

If it hadn't been for the cat, Janie would have been on time.
Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Time. Something I wish I had more of. Just spent the last few hours finishing a crit and now it is time for bed. No time for my story. Better make it a priority tomorrow.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mythique890
Member # 8586

- posted      Profile for mythique890   Email mythique890         Edit/Delete Post 
Tomorrow I'll feel better. Chaela just went to bed, so she won't be up early, and it's my turn to wake up with her again. I won't sound like I have cotton stuffed in my sinuses and feel like I have it stuffed in my head. Tomorrow will be better, because I'll get some sleep tonight and get rid of this stupid cold.
Posts: 128 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
Cold is at a premium right now. It's supposed to be 115 all this week and if the wind blows it feels like someone's blasting you with a blow dryer. At night it drops to a nice 105 and sweat starts up after being outside for ten minutes.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Minutes seemed like hours on seas awash in fire.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
"Fire, aim, ready!" he said...I thought he had it backwards.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

<AHEM>

Writers...please follow the rules of a word loop. Each SENTENCE - each and every one, must start with the last word of the previous sentence. If you chose to write more than one sentence, follow the rule! It's what makes this exercise interesting.

==

Backwards driving always threw Janie. Janie and her cat were inseparable when she was six. Six hours til she arrived. Arrived in the despicable hole, hovel where Gus lived. Lived-in look, he liked to say. "Say whatever you want, it looks like you live in a pile of crap," was Janie's reply.

Get it?

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean:

Reply violently, and before anyone's reaction causes a stir. Stir them up and never let them regain balance. Balance is the key, without it, there is nothing.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited July 08, 2009).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DWD
Member # 8649

- posted      Profile for DWD   Email DWD         Edit/Delete Post 
Question: Does it need to develop into a coherent story? That would make it even harder...
Posts: 88 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

Answer: Yes, the idea is that you write a coherent story with it.

Read BHR's article about word loops, he includes a really cool short story where you almost forget about the structure while you're reading it.

==
Nothing ever came between Janie and Gus, except that mess. Mess was how Gus preferred to live. "Live in this crap hole, impossible!"

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Impossible. Impossible was the way he liked to describe things. Things of every kind, at every step. "Step on my toes will ya?" Ya might think he was joking?
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Joking came easy to Gus, whose messy apartment was inundated with clouds of marijuana.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Marijuana wanna Walla Walla Washington.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff M
Member # 7828

- posted      Profile for Jeff M   Email Jeff M         Edit/Delete Post 
Washington always stirred up those painful images hidden in Janie’s memory. Memory was a curse that haunted her for the past thirty years. Years of trying to quiet her guilt over her mother’s death had driven her to Gus. Gus was a free spirit, a comforting lightness in her dark life.
Posts: 159 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Life sucks. Sucks hard. Hard ly the way Janiey had though it would be like when she grew up. Up on stage surrounded by lights and constant admiration. Admiration now was impossible.
Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
Impossible to keep on talking about Janie and her miserable pad. Pad the plot line a bit more, will you? You know we could talk about any one of a million things. Things just aren't like they used to be.
Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DWD
Member # 8649

"Be a little neater, could you? Could you maybe? Maybe, just possibly, someday?" Someday she'd just go. Go without saying a word. Word was he wouldn't care so much anyway.
Posts: 88 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

"Anyway you want me, well that's how I will be..."
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Be a cold day in hell--like sinking the Titanic cold--when Janie could actually bring herself to leave Gus forever. Forver was a commitment beyond what Janie was capable of.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited July 09, 2009).]

shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, that's because she was a goldfish.
Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DWD
Member # 8649

Goldfish, of course, tend to be somewhat messy, so Gus would point a fin Janie's way and say "You are the weirdo, you know! Know what? What I may do is just give you what you want. Want me to go? Go I will, then, because there are plenty of other fish in the, um...fishbowl!"
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Fishbowl...bowl...smoke...drugs...suddenly Janie realized she had inhaled too much of Gus's permanent cloud.
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
"Cloud Nine," the flight attendant called out, "All those wishing to exit for Cloud Nine, please step forward."

Forward they came--Janie noticed--like lemmings at a cliff's edge, and stepped out of the emergency exit into nothingness with barely a sound.

Sound rattled through the 747's speaker system, bringing it to life, as the Gus, the captain, played the Future Vision Cult's nirvana symphony.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited July 10, 2009).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

"Symphony for the Devil"...that's almost a title by the Rolling Stones.
Natej11
Member # 8547

Stones at the bottom of the bowl are getting coated with fish goop. Goop is a good word for their owner, too; not even feeding them let alone cleaning the bowl out!
Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

"Out goes the bad air, in goes the good!"
skadder
Member # 6757

"Good," he said, rubbing his hands together, "Good."
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

"Good news everyone," Mark said. "The CEO called and said our project is "all good."
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

"Good"...you guys seem to be stuck on a loop with "good," and that is not good...
skadder
Member # 6757

"Good?" Harry shouted, "What do you mean, not good?"

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited July 13, 2009).]

Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
"Good grief, Gus," shouted Janey. Janey was exhausted from worrying about all the pollution in the water. "Water is not for wasting. Wasting water will kill us all!"
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

All I ever wanted was a folding chair and one of those drinks with the little umbrella in it. It would also be nice to have all that by a massive swimming pool and hot tub too. Too much to also add that it's in the backyard of a 15,000 sq/ft mansion?
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Mansion name can take a few more days, as that'll be on the back cover, which is still quite in the making...I found this sentence with Google.
Natej11
Member # 8547

Go ogle the petunias in the back yard. Yard and flowers both are very beautiful this time of year.

(Never said the word couldn't be broken up, did you? Blast maybe not.)

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

(Well, you could've referenced, say, "Google, Barney," a once-famous cartoon strip character.)

Year new happy a you of all wishing.

satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
Wishing is all well and good. Good for nothing that is.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Is this the desk?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.