Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Dilemma

Author Topic: Dilemma
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a dilemma. My supervisor called me and told me that she and the director would like to interview me for a supervisor position that is about to become available.

I have been at my current job since June, but I have worked in this field off and on since 1996. My current position allows me to set my own hours and to work as much overtime as I want (or need). The "promotion" is a salaried position and I would be taking about a $10K pay cut (I am currently making quite a bit more than I had projected in my previous thread - The Worm Has Turned).

This is the first step in "moving up" in my company, and I would need to do this to ever advance.

I like what I currently do, and this will take me away from working directly with clients - also, I have a couple of clients that are a little more fragile when it comes to change. However, I would now supervise the ones who work with clients and, hopefully, be able to give good advice and training that might improve many of our client's lives.

I would have less paperwork in the sense of writing, and instead be reviewing paperwork of others and making suggestions and corrections. I would have more time off, but I would have to respond to more problems over the phone. I also will be driving a LOT less (about 20,000 less miles each year).

I am not trying to presumptous about getting this position, but I'm afraid I'm not going to have a lot of time if the position is offered to me.

Any thoughts?

(PS - Zero, I will move this evening - I didn't sleep Sunday night)

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
No problem, as I recall last time around it was you who had to keep waiting for me to move.

Regarding your dilemma, sometimes there are no right answers, or rather, no wrong answers. If you prefer to do what you're doing, and can make it financially long term, then there's nothing wrong with staying where you are. But if you are the ambitious type who would like to be making some progress up the chain eventually, then this might be an opportunity you'd regret missing. So basically it depends on where you want to be in the long run.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, take the interview. It never hurts to interview for anything. And ask a lot of questions. Sounds like you already know a lot about the position, but if there's anything you have questions or reservations about, ask.

For myself, I've done first line supervisor. I hope to never do it again. But that's me. I have trouble delegating, especially when I know I could do it better/faster. Performance reviews are no fun. And you can take it from me that it really sucks to be a supervisor during a downturn when you have to lay people off.

Wish I had your problem, though. I can't get an interview for dog catcher.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure how big your company is, but usually in corporations THEY do come to you when opportunities for advancement come up. That's a good thing. But it's also a double-edged sword that if you turn it down, THEY may not come to you again. Slights, whether real or imagined, tend to linger.

If you it looks like you are going to get the position, but you've decided to turn it down, just make sure your supervisor is aware of your long term goals. Some people are not made for management so it's quite possible to move up in a company without being a manager (again, depending on what your company is/does).

It's good to be in your position, though, and never hesitate to ask about the $10k less you'll be making, and how the company is going to make up that shortfall. The 'shortfall' doesn't have to be immediate, but it does let them know that it's still a business and you're not doing this kind of stuff 'cause you've got nothing better to do.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on whether or not you can be fired without cause from this supervisor / management position. I'd be leery of taking a promotion if that were the case.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
If the interviewer is breathing heavily and wearing a black mask, then I'd say it was your fault for seeking a position on the Death Star in the first place.

Kidding aside, sit down and look over your priorities. (Which is what you are doing here I guess.) I wouldn't, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
The one real temptation is getting my nights and weekends back. As it stands now, I spend quite a bit of time doing paperwork. I've asked one of the people that currently do what I would be doing, and she says the paperwork is a lot less.

On the flipside, I'll be in an office for most of the day. Currently, I am out with clients for a good part of the time, albeit spending much of it in my car. I take them to medical and psychiatric appointments, to get food, and to fun things like bowling, billiards, and the YMCA. Of course I also have to deal with their various psychoses and manic behavior.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrajean
Member # 7664

- posted      Profile for Lyrajean           Edit/Delete Post 
Only you can decide if this is the right path for you, but the one thing I wouldn't do is take them up on their suggestion and apply for the job if you're not really seriously interested in it.

It depends on what kind of office work environment you have. But If you back out or they hire someone else for teh supervisory position word might get around to that other person that you were on the short list for their job and your ne supervisor might perceive you as the competition.

I was kind of in a situation like this once. It was a struggling NFP and they were kind of looking for ways (people) to cut back on.

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

I agree with what the last three people said.
Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrajean
Member # 7664

- posted      Profile for Lyrajean           Edit/Delete Post 
WTF?... -Post in triplicate? I never looked at that post after I mad it. I was working at school, and well it sometimes takes an eternity to load msotly cause of the moster firewall/site blocking thing they have. I know I didn't hit that button thrice...
Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

I've had that happen a couple times. No worries, I'm just a smart***.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm impressed. I've never seen a triple post before. I'm almost sorry I deleted the extra ones.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.