Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Logic Question

Author Topic: Logic Question
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure it is possible to hijack a Random Musings thread, but I thought we could continue this here for all those who are "ill-logical" over there.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just don't get your logic on this one. If someone says "look at this painting," why would you think they expected you to provide your own painting to look at?

But someone is not saying, "Look at this painting." With the logic question, the word "this" is being used with a degree of ambiguity. Let's look at it another way:

quote:
In the answer to this question, how many letters are there?

Worded this way, it appears to be asking for another question. Here, "this question" becomes part of the question. Because this is a question and it uses "this question" as a specified location, I cannot come up with a very good example of something similar; it is an Escher staircase. Here's my best try:
quote:
There are seven words in this statement.

This is true for the above statement, but it could be true for many statements that have seven words. Depending on the context in which it is presented, it could be asking for another statement.

For the answer in the original question to make sense, one would have be able substitute the answer as a statement using the context of the question. Thus:

quote:
How many letters are there in the answer to this question?

Should be able to be answered as:
quote:
There are four letters in the answer to how many letters are there in the answer to this question.

...and this statement would have to stand on its own, without an additional question, for the question to be self-referential.

However, there is no means of obtaining an answer of "four" without introducing a new question. Even if the answer was simplified as:

quote:
There are four letters in the answer to this question.

...this still requires an additional question that has to be asked. It is like Jeopardy - "Alex, what is the number 4?"

If the words following "How many letters are there..." were manipulated as part of the question then "this question" does become self-referential, but the answer would not be "four".

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

quote:
- How many letters are there [in the answer to this question]? - (twenty-six/8-9)
- How many "letters" are there [in the answer to this question]? - (1)
- How many letters are there in "the answer to this question"? - (12 or 23)

quote:
Overthinking. How are any of those answers the amount of letters in themselves?

None of them are. In the self-referential question the words are manipulated to supplant an answer and does not require a self-referential answer (or as I call it - another question):

1 - "How many letters are there?" is the only actual question. "The answer to this question" is twenty-six, which is composed of 9 letters (including two t's)

2 - This is derived the same way, but focus is placed on the word "letters", of which there is only one.

3 - "...in the answer to this question" are the only words in which we are asked to determine the number of letters. These words are composed of 23 letters (12 of which are repeating).

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited May 31, 2010).]

genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
It was just a fun little riddle.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
And we have turned it into a fun little debate, I'm enjoying myself thoroughly.

First of all, I don't believe there is any ambiguity in "this" at all. I find it quite specific. "This" = "How many letters are there in the answer to this question?" (If we think about it too long we fall into recursion, which is the only way we can beat the computer overlords.) If it were "some question" or "a question" then there would be ambiguity. "This" is a specifier. It is only ambiguous when used poorly. And if I'm going to participate in a riddle I'm going to hope it actually works.

Second of all words are not lightly placed in a riddle and they aren't lightly removed. The only way your story works is if you discount half the words. The real question isn't "How many letters are there?" The real question is, as stated, "How many letters are there in the answer to this question?" X = X. X ≠ x-3. (Of course you are seeing it a x = y-3, which I don't see any justification for.) You have to satisfy all parts of the riddle to get the right answer, not just the ones that aren't prepositional phrases.

Just because the question is self-referential does not mean its original intent is invalidated, especially if it is referring to itself only to specify that it is asking for the answer to itself. (Which is only necessary to clear up the ambiguity of "the answer".)

quote:
There are four letters in the answer to how many letters are there in the answer to this question.

Close, but it really is . . .
quote:
There are four letters in the answer to: "How many letters are there in the answer to this question?".

The statement does stand on its own. Even if it is a mess punctuationally.

I hold no illusions that I will convince you, I just wanted to get my argument out and I think I've got it right where I want it. I want to live in a world where words mean what they mean, even if my novels tell a different story.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, as long as you're all having fun. You know, it's all fun and games until someone's brain explodes.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with logic puzzles is fuzziness in the English language..."look" has a variety of meanings, and "painting" has even more. The meaning of "at" and "this" can be disputed.

I suppose one (or many) could create a new language where each word has one meaning, and one meaning only...but to express what could express already in fuzzy English would expand the base of words you would need by, oh, maybe twentyfold at a bare minimum.

(I've been reading this book I picked up while I was on vacation...In the Land of Invented Languages: Adventures in Lingusitic Creativity, Madness, and Genius, by Arika Okrent, which details the invention of and problems with many invented languages, some at length...a good read and I'll recommend it to anyone who wants to invent a language for an SF or fantasy story...)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

Pyre, thanks for introducing the algebraic notations. This is perfect for allowing me to prove my point. There are several (better) ways of breaking this down.

Here is what you are stating:

How many- x
letters- L
are there- y
in the answer to this question- [xL=y]=y (or) y=z
-Self Referential- [xL=y]=y
There is no way to represent [xL=y]=4, y=(four). y cannot be both (4) and (four).
-Second Question- y=z
This requires a third variable (L is not one of the variables), thus it is not self referential.
z=(four), y=4, xL=4=(four)

philocinemas
Member # 8108

quote:
"This" = "How many letters are there in the answer to this question?"

- "this" only refers to "question"

If it reads as you suggest then this would be the result:

How many letters are there in the answer to: How many letters are there in the answer to: How many letters are there in the answer to: How many letters are there in the answer to, etc.

We never get to "this question" because it is constantly referring back to itself. Only until you separate the question from the prepositional phrases or the words "the answer to this question" do you ever reach an actual question.

The exception is if this were prompting another question that provided its own answer, which is what "four"=4 does.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, what "this" all reminds me of are those mind-boggling British versions of crossword puzzles, where you have to figure out the RIDDLE of the clue before you can figure out the ANSWER to the clue.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
The NY Times does some of that, too...any clue ending in a question mark is a riddle of sorts...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Does "p" and "not p" mean anything to anyone here? How about a backwards E or an upside down A?

Just wondering.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I Googled it...it is familiar to me, meaning I've seen it before but it's not something I actively use.
Zero
Member # 3619

In higher math (discrete) there is a set of notation to concisely write certain logical ideas, and there exist proofs that can, mathematically, demonstrate ideas more simply and clearly than mere words. I've found it useful, at times, to take an existing argument such as this and translate what I can into math and then it often becomes much less ambiguous. The room for debate shrinks away.

However, if one isn't familiar with the language then it just looks like complete gibberish.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, go ahead and gibber, Zero.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Why not add more gibberish.

Personally I'd put it as F(a) = La where a = F(a)
The function of answer{F(a)* is the amount of letters{L* in the answer{a* with the answer{a* being the result of the function of answer{F(a)*. Which, yes, is an infinite loop, but here's the rub. This is the reason we are smarter than computers, we can see an infinite loop without trying to calculate it. We can get past the cover of The Monster at the End of This Book, even though we could turn it into "the monster at the end of: the monster at the end of: the monster at the end of: . . ." if we really wanted to. Then we'd never learn that it was [Spoiler Alert]Grover[/Spoiler Alert]. You don't have to calculate "this question" you just know that it means the question you're looking at. Then you can concentrate on figuring out the answer. "How many," means the answer is a number. "Letters are there," means that that number signifies the amount of letters in something. "In the answer," tells us what that something is. "To this question," tells us that the answer we need to determine the amount of letters of is also the answer to the question we are considering. Thus the self-referential question demands a self referential answer. (Which is four, or cinqo, or 0 if you want to go the numbers aren't letters route.)

And by the way, four does equal 4, because they mean the same thing. In the same way that 1/2 = 50/100, and (m - 1)(2m + 3) = 2Mē + m - 3 mean the same thing.

(Or we could do it like this F = "How many letters" O = "are there" U = "in the answer" R = "to this question?" thus it becomes F x O x U x R = FOUR .)

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

In the answer to this question, how many letters are there?

I quite liked philocinemas' different answering of different questions in the above question. However, English is sufficiently vague that there are a whole lot of equally correct answers, even to the mathematical pure interpretations. For example

There are twenty five letters
Prime number
Twelve of them
I would say sixteen
Two more than sixteen

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

Here's a new logic question:

There are many sentences that can be spoken with correct grammar (with actual words found in the standard-English dictionary), but can not be correctly written. Try to come up with one (or two).

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Put ten grammarians in a room and what do you get? Nine dead grammarians and one right one. (That's not an actual entry just something I wanted to say. Still chewin'.)
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, here's my entry, although it probably applies to spelling rather than grammar.

There are three ways to spell there.

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Were you thinking of things like the Buffalo sentence?

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

Good job, Brendan - I didn't actually state that it was a grammar problem, only that the sentence could be spoken with correct grammar and spelling.

Anytime we make a statement that "there is more than one way to spell (a specific word)", we make it an impossible sentence to write unless we us phonetic spelling, which is not usually an actual word.

I suppose I'll have to come up with something more challenging (here's another old riddle)I bet this will get a quick answer too -

Can anyone tell me why Bob and Mary are dead, lying in a puddle of water and surrounded by broken glass?

shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob and Mary are goldfish.
Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

I prefer the answer: They decided to hang themselves slowly so they stood a big chunk of ice and tied themselves to a chandelier that wasn't hung completely properly, so it gave enough resistance to kill them but soon gave out and fell.

Okay here is my favorite.

Bill is lying dead in the middle of the desert with half a toothpick in his hand. There are no tracks of any kind around him. How did he die?

philocinemas
Member # 8108

Dehydration?
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
He had to have fallen there, because he didn't leave any tracks either.
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

His parachute didn't open. He died from impact.
Zero
Member # 3619

It's really really windy and he stabbed himself in the eye with half a toothpick.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

No parachute, but he did die from impact. There's still more to it though.

[This message has been edited by Pyre Dynasty (edited June 06, 2010).]

shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
He's a vampire, and a dust storm sent a toothpick into his bat self, and it impaled him and he died, all alone.
Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

shimiqua nailed it.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

So Bill isn't the kind of vampire that dissolves when he's impaled?
philocinemas
Member # 8108

If shimiqua is right, then he died from a vampire bite, most likely years prior to having his bat wing injured by a toothpick. Since he is still there, then I assume the sun has not come up yet.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Sorry no vampires.
philocinemas
Member # 8108

Pyre, since I am assuming he fell from some form of air transport, I must contend that unless the toothpick is embedded in his hand it would not have remained there after he impacted the ground.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.