Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » OSC on The State of Things (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: OSC on The State of Things
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

I mentioned that I had a non PC Christmas story. I finally remembered to go over it again and to post it. Probably still has some rough spots and nitpicks but it's getting better.

http://musingsofle.blogspot.com/

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
The water vapor stat doesn't give the complete picture.

http://www.sciscoop.com/climate-change-evidence.html

[This message has been edited by rich (edited December 18, 2010).]

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I think this thing is way too complex for any one item to explain it all. That's including the idea that one thing-man-can destroy the weather patterns on this planet.

Volcanos and other natural happenings have been trying to do that for upteen million years. Sometimes they succeed in changing a few things for a very short period of time but it all works out.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

And I've been meaning to say this for a couple of days.

I agree with PB&Jenny Merry Christmas.

And BTW PB&Jenny Since your a guy I assume that you are PB in that case do you know Wren?

Private joke, for the readers of a certain Writer, so probably not. I can explain it if need be.

PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, thanks LDWriter2, right back atcha.

The PB is short for peanut butter. It's from an as-yet-unpublished children's story about two kids. One PB and the other Jenny. I used to tell it to my kids when they were under the age of 6. A long, long time ago.

And, yes. Please explain your joke. I need a good laugh today.

Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Well, it's not all that funny.

But in laura anne gilman's series, The Retriever, the MC has a friend who is called PB. Could stand for Peanut Butter or Poler Bear since he kinda of looks like one. If I recall correctly and I'm not sure I do, no one is saying for sure what PB stands for.

The MC is called Wren even though that isn't her birth name. A very well done UF series with twists and excitement. I have stated that I think she is one of the not so minor lights responsible for the current UF rage. Jim Butcher being the King.

She likes her name without capitols evidently.

And she has laid that series aside for the time being to work on another one set in the same universe-same city too.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited December 19, 2010).]

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited December 19, 2010).]

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Posted my PC Christmas story and got my political letter to the editor published.

Letter:
http://www.fresnobee.com/2010/12/20/2204617/tax-cuts-help-economy.html

Story:
http://musingsofle.blogspot.com

and in case someone might be thinking it No, not all letters to the editor are political...at least not around here.

rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I so want to comment on both links, but first...

As you can see, Louis, I edited my post that followed your first post concerning your "story". I made a comment, then thought better of it, and edited that comment out.

However, since you've again posted the link to your "story", and a letter to the editor of the Fresno Bee, I gotta think you're wanting someone to comment.

I'd be more than happy to, but I don't think we're allowed to go down that road.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
All right, I'm going to make the Hatrack equivalence of the triple dog dare (the ultimate trump card). The person who thinks we should increase air pollution should respond next...
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Okay philocinemas. You never did say what type of air pollution.

So I say yes I want more air pollution. The type produced by wild horses and buffalos we need more of both animals.

And if reindeer and cows can produce this type of really had pollution I would imagine horses can also.

But as to my story and letter. If you don't want to comment on this board you can go to my blog or E-mail.

I know the story most probably needs help. I wrote it three to five years ago and even though I've gone back over it one and a half more times since the first time I posted it, I suspect it still has lots of nitpicks not to mention bad writing.

Us writers are an opinionated lot who have very little problems stating what we believe, as OCS seems to show.

Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll admit to a sort of odd quandary on this topic. When it comes to his writing and his recommendations for books, TV shows, movies, and food, OSC is spot on in my book, and seems to hit every note I enjoy.

On the political front, however, it's the exact opposite. I find myself wondering how somebody who can be so clear-headed and rational in every other regard can be so blindly, infuriatingly partisan. It's like he shuts off his brain and reads from the Republican handbook.

We all have our different opinions, and I'm not of a mind to argue with his. My solution is to ignore his political articles and stick to his reviews and books, skipping over any political commentary he might add.

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I find myself wondering how somebody who can be so clear-headed and rational in every other regard can be so blindly, infuriatingly partisan.

Yes, I wonder that about some people myself.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When it comes to his writing and his recommendations for books, TV shows, movies, and food, OSC is spot on in my book, and seems to hit every note I enjoy.

Did you see the updated version of The Day the Earth Stood Still?

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
Natej11 said:
quote:

We all have our different opinions, and I'm not of a mind to argue with his. My solution is to ignore his political articles and stick to his reviews and books, skipping over any political commentary he might add.

I try to wear those blinders every day, and I'm of a right-leaning frame of mind. I don't need the stress!

Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
In 2009, Climate change is a $160 billion industry in the United States alone, over $600 billion globally:

http://www.climatechangebusiness.com/first_annual_overview_climate_change_industry

Biofuels have driven up the cost of foodstuffs over its few years in existence and is currently an estimated $4 billion industry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biofuel (reference included in article)

"Green" support for alternative energies have sparked new markets in solar, wind, and nuclear power. New nuclear power plants are slated to be built for the first time in almost 3 decades.

Climate Change is a money-making field, and it does that well. This is why you will not see it nor its concepts disappear anytime soon.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

quote:
Climate Change is a money-making field, and it does that well.

That's what I like - people who see the good in everything!

GREEN IS GOOD

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I hadn't heard that Nuke plants had actually been okayed, of course them being built is another matter. Too bad we can't get a couple here but I live in Calif. We can't seem to get things right here...we even voted for more Brown rot.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Natej11 said:
quote:
:

When it comes to entertainers, including writers, I do the same. When I disagree with them that is. Of course that goes for other areas too not just politics but its hard to do sometimes when they put it deeply in their movie-TV shows-novels.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Everybody's entitled to an opinion, that's why pencils have erasers.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I hadn't heard that Nuke plants had actually been okayed, of course them being built is another matter.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/feb/16/nation/la-na-obama-nuclear17-2010feb17
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/17/business/energy-environment/17nukes.html?_r=1

Though you're right. Approval is a long way away from implementation.

[This message has been edited by Rhaythe (edited January 06, 2011).]

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I hope they approve the one some people are trying to get built here.

We have lots of empty spaces that can't be farmed.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Speaking of putting your political beliefs into a book. I just finished a book tonight that may have done that. I should say that I think the writer had her MC add a comment that was actually from the writer.

Something happened to two of the supporting characters and while thinking about it the MC makes that comment. Even though the MC would have felt that way, the wording was not what she usually used, in fact she had never used those terms throughout the book. And it didn't totally fit. Obviously I could be wrong but it seemed to come out of no where. If true the writer has some anger issues with certain people. I don't mean people of different ethnicity.

In fact the whole story was pretty much over by than and that situation could have been added just to jab at those people. Which makes me wonder if some other comments were really from the writer or resembled her beliefs.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.