Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Christmas Gifts

Author Topic: Christmas Gifts
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it might be nice to have a place where we could share with one another various things we either gave or received for Christmas/Hanukkah. So here's your chance to share some cheer:
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny you should mention that. I gave my oldest son a pocket digital voice recorder that he had been envying at WLMRT. He loved it. My wife turned around and gave me the same one because she noticed how much I liked it as I was wrapping it for my son. Life is funny that way.
Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
My son received a Nintendo DSI XL to replace his DSI, which was about an inch smaller and had some broken buttons. He also received some video games for that and the Wii. In addition, he received a collection of Nano-bugs, which are little machines that scurry about the floor or within a "nano-habitat" like real insects - my wife "loves" them. He received a hodgepodge of various other items as well.

My wife got her gift a few months ago, which is sitting in our driveway, but she also received some clothing, purses, and DVDs.

I received a Blade Runner umbrella, a Green Lantern t-shirt, and a 3D chess set. I also received a variety of DVDs, including the extended version of Avatar with which James Cameron was able to suck in another $25.

So, there you go. Ho-ho-ho.

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited December 26, 2010).]

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
3-D chess?

Is that electronic or three layers of boards? Like the Star Trek Chess game.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I've gotten some enjoyment out of a "find the penny in this tube" game...the tube is filled with a bunch of little plastic thingys, and when you shake it up, you can spot things coming to the surface. I've yet to spot the penny...I think I understand the gimmick, though.

I got a few other things, like a Charlie Brown Christmas Tree, a miniature leg-table-lamp night light, and a new pocket-tee work shirt (which I'm wearing right now). And of course gift certificates and money.

As for what I gave, well, some of my relatives seemed taken with some of the gifts I gave, but it's hard to say.

I suppose now I can go shopping and buy the things I didn't get for Christmas...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

quote:
Is that electronic or three layers of boards? Like the Star Trek Chess game.

Three layers like in Star Trek. However, mine is generic. I'll have to look up the rules for the Star Trek version to see if they are played the same. I've always wanted a Star Trek set, but they are incredibly expensive - well over a hundred dollars - so in my case, receivers should not be choosers.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
3D chess...ah, I remember getting a 3D chess set for Christmas many years ago...and being somewhat disappointed in that it wasn't like the "Star Trek" version, just three boards stacked vertically.

On the other hand, it played well...

On the other other hand, it was always difficult to get up a game and find somebody who'd play...

(I think it was Christmas...might conceivably been my birthday...)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Star Trek set has different pieces. But you can probably find a rules variant online.

As for me I think my favorite gift this year is a bouncy ball filled with oil and glitter that works great for contact juggling. I also got a Halloween shirt, a Marvin the Martian shirt, and one with Elmo, Cookie Monster, and Ernie dressed as Run-DMC.

And of course I had to buy myself a big Christmas gift that I'll be paying off for the next five years: A used maroon Sonata.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DRaney
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I got a dog! My kids surprised me with a Boxer puppy, a beautiful Brindle with huge white feet. His name is Bartolamew Kane, to be called, Bartol! This is the name of a legendary giant in one of my story attempts, with a nod to Bob Kane of Batman fame. It is fitting because he is a lot bigger than the normal sized Boxer, expected to reach 85 pounds here shortly. Woof.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Somehow I want to reminisce about the best present I ever got. It was March of 1975...I got it for my birthday...it was something I asked for instead of a bicycle like my younger brothers got...I still have it, it's about twenty feet from where I sit...I used it regularly till the 1990s and even now I still use it once in awhile.

It was a typewriter.

Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband and I enjoyed our gift to each other a few days early. We went to the Mannheim Steamroller Christmas Show in the Fort Wayne Embassy Theatre. The Embassy was built in 1928 and has been kept exactly as it was back then. A doormen let us into the theatre and a lady with a flashlight showed us to our seats. Something I've never experienced before. This theatre is unlike anything I've ever been in with what I think you'd call filigree covering the walls, ceiling, the front of the balcony, and the side of the stage. I spent most of my time before the show started craning my neck just to take it all in.

And the concert was just plain awesome. Mannheim Steamroller sure knows how to put on a show.

I also receive monetary gifts from my parents and mother-in-law. I always keep this to fund my trail riding camping trips.

I enjoyed talking to my mom & step dad on the phone (They live in AZ), and my sister in CT, all on Christmas Day. And, of course, we always have Christmas dinner at my mother-in-law's house with my husband's family.

But the greatest gift of all is celebrating Jesus's birthday. Keep Christ in your heart this holiday season. After all, we wouldn't have it without Him.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.