Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Youngest hattracker?

Author Topic: Youngest hattracker?
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering if there is anyone younger than me here on Hattrack (or has been). I am 21. (Posting my age so I could omit the ungentlemanly act of asking anyone for his/her age )
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on the other end of the scale. I turned 59 on 1/7/2011 .

I think you have to be 18 or older to join Hatrack. Not totally sure, but I think that's right.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean chronologically, or mentally? 'Cause I'm really really REALLY stuck in constant 13 year-old. Which is reason #22 of why I'm divorced.
Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
So there are people here who are older than me. (49.)
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm much closer to Crystal. I turned 56 on 1/5/11.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's to all the Januarians - 43 on 1/3!
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm forty-nine-teen years old.

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

This isn't me but I recall someone in the new members forum saying they were 19. Might be even two of the newer ones who have said that.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smiley
Member # 9379

- posted      Profile for Smiley   Email Smiley         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I remember that too! I'll be 48 on the 28th. Yay!
Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
27 here. Man but do I feel like a toddler among you ancients!
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
29. The black balloons fly for me in July.
Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

3th of July for me!
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DRaney
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Yep... 18 year old stuck in a 50 year old body.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Crystal's right, there is an "18 or over" rule, but I haven't seen anything on the website lately that actually states that.

There used to be an "under 18" forum, but the participants got a little too immature in their behavior (or so I understand), and that forum was cancelled.

By the way, Crystal, I have tried twice now to email you at the email address you gave to Hatrack, and there has been no response. Since I'm certain you wouldn't ignore an email from me, I have to ask: Are you no longer using that email address?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about that Kathleen. I'll email you privately.
Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethereon
Member # 9133

- posted      Profile for Ethereon   Email Ethereon         Edit/Delete Post 
27 here. Funny, in the absence of data I tend to assume that internet acquaintances are around the same age as me. It looks like I'm one of the younger ones.
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's a self-selected sample, so it would be hard to say more than that more "older" Hatrackers appear to have posted in this topic than "younger" Hatrackers.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hey Foste Not quite a Yankee Doodle Dandy but Ben Franklin predicted your day. He said it would a day to celebrate.

And Ethereon I do that too.

And Kathleen maybe that is because there's mostly oldees here and not enough of the younger ones to respond well.

Of course if I'm right that could be why the treehouse is so full of dirt all the time.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited January 26, 2011).]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be the answer to the ultimate question the day before a fool.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lionhunter
Member # 8766

- posted      Profile for Lionhunter   Email Lionhunter         Edit/Delete Post 
22. Capricorn
Posts: 83 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Lionhunter are you still a Capricorn ?
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
The supposed zodiac change was predicated on a faulty understanding of the zodiac system. Another example of science telling religion what to believe.

That said, I was born in the year of the Pig. (I'll have to do some research to figure out exactly which year of the pig, stay tuned.)

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lionhunter
Member # 8766

- posted      Profile for Lionhunter   Email Lionhunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, I'm not a Capricorn anymore??? (((

Posts: 83 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The supposed zodiac change was predicated on a faulty understanding of the zodiac system.

I read about that last week. According to the new zodiac alignment, I have been traded from Pisces to Aquarius. No concern to me; according to the Chinese zodiac, I am still an Ox...unless, of course, they changed that too, and I find out I'm really a Shih Tzu.

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

Wasn't that a hoax in the end?

I got all the markings of a cancer and I don't want to be any other sign to be honest...

Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know if it was a hoax, but it certainly was very poorly planned and not universally agreed to.

Besides, while I'm hardly an expert on zodiacs, don't you remain the sign you were born under, no matter what else changes?

I'm certainly still claiming Capricorn.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
And I'm still a schizoph-- er, bipol-- uh, Gemini

As to the era, last year I was running down the Road of Life, and here's this big sign that says "55" -- who knew life had a speed limit?!

[This message has been edited by Reziac (edited January 27, 2011).]

Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
The Chinese say I am a monkey, and my wife agrees.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

Wait, I'm not a Capricorn anymore???

I finally get to this, someone has partially answered it already. Some researcher stated that a two thousand years ago or so the earth shifted enough so that the original zodiac signs aren't in the same position as seen from the earth as they were back when.

He set up what he thought would be a more true zodiac. Some dates have changed but some stay about the same plus there is a new sign.

Rather all this was a fake I have no idea, even though evidently the earth really does shift over time, but astrologers are evidently ignoring it so it doesn't matter if it is fake or not. The name of the new sign sounds like it could be a fake even though it's supposedly based on a real happening or date or city or person; I forget which.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
The zodiac system is based on the planets, not on the stars. Yes the zodiac symbols are constellations, but they are also based on greek gods and monsters. (And yes, the ancients knew the difference between stars and planets.)

The shift of the earth is somewhat immaterial because it's a small variable in the way the solar system works.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
All right! First thirty-somethin to post. 33.
Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha, appear to have the most "experience" of the group, closing in on 61.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post 
Aquarius about to turn 33

Oh, and I'm also a horse!

[This message has been edited by Josephine Kait (edited February 04, 2011).]

Posts: 456 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
38 here.
Capricorn - no matter what science says.

Since I couldn't find a better place, here's my "by 40" goals.

1. Published and paid for it. (internet, mag, paper... doesn't matter.) This is not a money thing, it's a "they liked my story enough to pay me" thing.

2. Break 20 (minutes) in a 5k. This used to be routine for me but hasn't happened in a while. I'm hoping to get there again, but with my new biz, it doesn't look like it will.

3. Finished my fourth novel and have submitted one (query, partial, w/e). Since I'm still working on my 3rd I'd better get a move on. But that's what goals are for, right? Eyes on the prize.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

Aquarius about to turn 33
Oh, and I'm also a horse!

Hmm, thought about asking if you're related to that mean unicorn in the treehouse here but on second thought nope.

But do you know the Spellsinger. Hmm, there's a bunch of them now but this guy may have been the original. Young guy or he was when he was written about, who liked to play rock. He partnered with a horse for a while and even made friends with an old, drunken war veteran of a rhino. He also knew a gay unicorn.

Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I’m afraid I haven’t met the spellsinger. I looked him up though, and he seems interesting. I did enjoy the Spellsong Cycle by Modesitt, although upon reading the synopsis about the spellsinger, Modesitt’s ideas seem significantly less original.

Only the Chinese think I’m a horse, everyone else knows that I’m really the Lady Tiger. (And as previously stated, mystical lady tigers get along really well with unicorns, of all stripes.)

Posts: 456 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

There's a mean unicorn loose in the treehouse ???? How did THAT happen?!

I can sure tell I haven't been out of my upstairs suite in awhile. Man, I gotta get out more . What else has been happening?

BTW: the only spellsinger I'm familiar with is the one Alan Dean Foster wrote about, but it's been quite some time since I've read that series. Wasn't that the one with a wisecracking otter?

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking maybe its a Dungeons & Dragons reference.

As for signs, well, I always like to say I'm born under the sign of the pawnshop...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

The Alan Dean one is the one I thought might be the first one but in Lisa Shearin's Raine Benares series there are a bunch of spell singers.

If you like fantasy with a female rogue you will love this one. But her friend is an extremely powerful spell singer and one of her suitors is a powerful one too. Her other suitor doesn't need to be one, he's an ex-royal dark wizard.

And it seems like I recently heard of another spellsinger but can't recall where right now. But I would love to write a book about a modern spell singer or three.

But check out Shearin's store I love some of those shirts even though most are not for guys. By the way Benares's family are pirates rather good ones.

http://www.lisashearin.com/

EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
I am 29.

I agree that you tend to forget about age when you are on internet forums. I have been on several and age rarely crosses my mind. Maturity, on the other hand, has come in question at other forums.

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OlsenOlsen
Member # 8198

- posted      Profile for OlsenOlsen   Email OlsenOlsen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 19! and When I started on here I was about... 16. Shhhhhh, don't tell anyone. I think you're supposed to be 18
Posts: 52 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm celebrating the anniversary of my 29th birthday this year. No, I won't tell you which anniversary. :P

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

I'm celebrating the anniversary of my 29th birthday this year. No, I won't tell you which anniversary. :P

Took me a second or two to get that.

sfedders
Member # 9448

- posted      Profile for sfedders   Email sfedders         Edit/Delete Post 
Also nineteen!
Posts: 21 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.