Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Will OSC come back to UVU?

Author Topic: Will OSC come back to UVU?
mythique890
Member # 8586

- posted      Profile for mythique890   Email mythique890         Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering (and I can't find the information anywhere, though it could be because I am not good at finding things) does anyone know if OSC is planning to go back to UVU for Bootcamps in the future?
Posts: 128 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
I just attended his boot camp in August. He mentioned there that he was considering having them all in Greensboro in the future for various personal and financial reasons...but it was just a discussion, I really dont know if he will or not.
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
That would be unfortunate. I can't afford getting myself to Greensboro. If that's where they're going to be from now on, I might as well kiss ever going to boot camp good-bye.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mythique890
Member # 8586

- posted      Profile for mythique890   Email mythique890         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be sad. I'm in the same boat as Jennifer... unless something in my life changes drastically, I'll never make it out there. At the beginning of the year, we lived in Ohio, and I was going to apply. Then about a month before the application deadline, we moved to Utah.

Oh, well. Still a fan and hope he's in good health. That's the most important thing.

Posts: 128 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Greensboro is the closest for me.

I've been wanting to attend there for some time, but the upheaval of my recent years has thwarted it. Now, I'll have more opportunities if this is right.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the two-day class in 2009 at SVU - the price tag of the five-day was a little hefty. However, I live about an hour away from Greensboro, and I am thinking about sending an entry in for next summer.

Of those that have attended the full boot camp, would it be worth it for me to attend again (full price and all) for the extra three days?

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
philo, yes, the full Boot Camp is well worth the extra $. The info in the two-day seminar is something it never hurts to hear again and the Boot Camp experience is entirely different. It's an intense workshop that will bring out both the best and the worst things in your writing. It will teach you things you will never forget. You'll end up with both a thicker skin and greater confidence. When you're ready, it's a great thing to do.

And forgive me but I can't agree with people saying they can't afford something, ever. I know there are some truly hard cases of people with such a monetary burden that may be true. But if you can even put $20 per paycheck away, you can save and create a savings for anything you want to do - including Boot Camp in NC. When I worked at a lousy coffee bar, I used my tip money to go to Egypt. If you really commit to saving, you can get there. Start the fund now so that when you get accepted, you're ready. Don't let that be what keeps you from going.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, genevive. I wasn't really worried so much about affording it as I was about justifying the extra days versus the cost. Anyway, isn't that the purpose of credit cards?
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
For some of us the cost isn't ONLY the Boot Camp cost. I have to travel, find a hotel, have a special diet, AND have a hard time justifying taking the time off--since my work only pays me if I'm there.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wannabe
Member # 9510

- posted      Profile for Wannabe           Edit/Delete Post 
You're both right IMO. Life is clay in our hands and we often limit ourselves and fail to realize how many opportunities are out there if we but plan for them, and make efforts. E.g. going to Egypt off of saved tips.

But IB makes a good point too, there are other costs including opportunity cost. It's not an indictment against Card for choosing (if he does) to exclusively do bootcamps in NC, just a realization that that may limit some people's ability to attend.

As for me I'd love to go, even though I have no idea what it is. Sounds cool!

Posts: 56 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anarresti
Member # 9614

- posted      Profile for anarresti   Email anarresti         Edit/Delete Post 
Philocinemas, I found the boot camp worth the extra money. The workshop is an interactive coverage of the material in OSC's "Characters and Viewpoint". However, the boot camp is intensive experience applying those ideas and practices in an environment in which you can compare your performance to others who are struggling to acquire that same competence. I learned as much from the critiques of others that highlighted things I missed as I did from writing my own critiques. It really brings home the idea that half the story is in the head of the reader.

[This message has been edited by anarresti (edited October 16, 2011).]

Posts: 109 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
I cant even imagine someone working, being able to attend Clarion.
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.