Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Got the Blues Today

Author Topic: Got the Blues Today
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
There was no way to stop it. I knew it would come, and it arrived today. I'm now officially old by timeline standards, and I know I shouldn't, but it's really bugging me. Oh I'll get over it... in time. Everyone does I'm sure who reaches this point in their lives.

So what's going on? I'm now 60 years old!!!

How did it sneak up so fast? Yes, it means retirement is that much closer, but you have to get old to get there. Dang, but it just isn't fair! You think life is forever and then you find out more of it's behind you than in front. I don't know about the rest of you my age or older, but that scares the crap out of me. When you're young, you think you're immortal. Then, before you know it, you realize the limits of mortality. I sometimes wonder what it's like for those my parents' age... or even older. And to think that's not all that far ahead of me... <<big shudder>>

So yes, today's my birthday, and for the first time in my life, I'm not that thrilled with turning a year older. Give me time. I'll adjust. But for now I'm singin' the blues.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Chag Sameach!
Happy Birthday!

Mazeltov! You've lived a full three score years and remain witty, intelligent and (I surmise) healthy. Oh, and imaginative and creative. And your parents are still living (this is also wonderful). This is cause for celebration, not depression, in my humble opinion.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Delli
Member # 9202

- posted      Profile for Delli   Email Delli         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday!

Wow, I hope this doesn't offend but for some reason I had thought you were much younger - in your twenties in fact! I dont know why I thought that... [Smile]

Posts: 96 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I know why I thought you were a lot younger. You sound it like a young person. I was also surprised by your age.

And no not because you sound immature even though the thought crossed my mind to say it. [Smile]

But even though I can see why you might feel that way. At the same time people are living longer and I don't mean living in bed either, they are doing things longer these days.

You sound like a very lovely, young sounding person who still would make a good friend. And who can write both prose and poetry, who still has the ability to learn do those things even better.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When you're young, you think you're immortal.
Not true for everyone. I've been all too aware of my mortality since I was nine. To get to where you are before thinking about the brevity of human life, you have been lucky. Congratulations on your 60 birthday.

Also, think of this. You have no way of knowing that you won't live, happily, to 120. Science and technology is advancing at an exponential rate. Enjoy at least a moment of each day, plan for enjoyment in the future, and appreciate what you've been through so far. This may be a year to compete with all of your best years.

Best wishes.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
At least I know there are people around these boards older than me...that cheered me up some...so maybe news of that will cheer you up...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you everyone.

Wow, I come across sounding young? And here I think I'm so out of touch with the younger crowd. Kids (and teenagers in particular) are so different than when I was that age. I see it in the young folks who come to work where I do with much different attitudes and outlooks on life as a whole. Though I do seem to attract the younger kids when I'm around them. But that could be due to my horses like in my poem "The Vow". I never had children except my four legged ones and wonder if this is why I get such a kick out of talking with kids anywhere from 4 to 11. Such fresh minds and ways of looking at things.

And thank you Dr. Bob for your kind words. Yes, I'm very fortunate that both my mom and dad are alive and well... 80 and 81 years old respectively. They have always supported me, and I still strive to make them proud.

I once read that the expected lifespan for the middle of this century would be 100 years. Well, that's about what I'll be by that time. Wouldn't it be something to live that long? Of course if one can be healthy all that time. So far, I've been extremely blessed in that respect. Dad is like that too and has told me he's going to live 100 years. So there's no reason why I can't too. And 100 is just the average lifespan, which means some will live longer than that by then.

Life is truly amazing, and the longer you live it, the more you see that amazes, amuses, and makes you explore everything there is in more detail and wonder. May we all live full and fruitful lives that will not only affect us but leave something behind for others to live by too.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, now that sounds a better, Crystal, so now I will wish you a Happy Birthday, so:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LeetahWest
Member # 9402

- posted      Profile for LeetahWest   Email LeetahWest         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I'm a few days late here, and I do apologize for that.

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY! From all of us to you! We're glad that it's your birthday so we can party too! HEY!

You are now 60 years young! Though, today is just like yesterday, potentially like tomorrow. As my daughter once said to me, "It's not my birthday today mommy, not really. 'Cause I don't feel any older."

May that be the wisdom for the day.

Posts: 108 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
Buck up Crystal, if it helps I'm older than you are.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.